is spouse name in passport a MUST for H4?

h1query

Registered Users (C)
gurus, please help.

husband in USA on H1. wife still in home country and will apply for H4, but husband's name is not endorsed in wife's passport. does she need to get husband's name entered in her passport before going for H4 interview? or she can get H4 visa without the endorsement?

thanks for your help.

I've never heard of such a thing. If you need proof you are married, carry your marriage certificate.

My wife doesn't have my name in her passport and she has an H4.

H4 stamping

Two years I got H4 . I was told by consulate people in Mumbai that the name of the spouse should be endorsed in passport . So , I did that . I took three days in passport office . However , when I went for the visa , the officer was only interested in marriage photographs and marriage certificate . I honestly , feel your wife does not require to endorse the name in passport.

I was also told that an H4 visa is never rejected, they may ask yo to get more documents , but ultimately they are always granted

Good Luck

regd H4

If u have seperate last names u need to endorse ur husband's name in the passport thats what I was told last year in 2003 Bombay office .....But as lot of friends had told me and the US Mumbai consultate website says too. I did endoresemnt in Indian consulate in US.Its easy to get it done here ............

In 2002 when I had done drop box thing they had never asked for .......

The rules changed......

I think u have same last name u dont have anything to worry about ....
But if u have seperate u might have to get it done................

Unfortunately yes

Thats right, you have to get it done.
I got an email for the us consulate in Delhi yesterday, confirming the same.
http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/wwwhnivniv.html

Where do I have to get it done from? passport office?

uts2004 said:
If u have seperate last names u need to endorse ur husband's name in the passport thats what I was told last year in 2003 Bombay office .....But as lot of friends had told me and the US Mumbai consultate website says too. I did endoresemnt in Indian consulate in US.Its easy to get it done here ............

In 2002 when I had done drop box thing they had never asked for .......

The rules changed......

I think u have same last name u dont have anything to worry about ....
But if u have seperate u might have to get it done................

Spouse name not a must in dependent's passport:

Spouse name not a must in dependent's passport:

Mar 31, 2005 update: my cousin appeared for her H4 visa interview at US Consulate Delhi in Mar 2005 (My brother in law was back in USA by then - on H1). She got her H4 without any problem.

she carried:
- a thick stack of papers (all bundled together in the sequence mentioned by US Consulate Delhi website: http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/wwwhnivdep.html). They also attached some wedding photos, wedding invitation letter, copy of marriage cert. in this stack.
- passport in her maiden name. Her passport was issued before marriage.
- her husband's name was not entered (endorsed) in her passport.
- wedding photo album
- original marriage certificate from Govt of Delhi and the Local Temple.

during interview:
- the visa officer did not look at her passport. His focus was on the husband and the marriage. He looked at each paper in the bundle. He also saw all the pictures in the album.
- his Q:
* how did you meet your husband?
* how long have you known your husband?
* when did you first meet and how did you get married?
* how long has your husband been in the US?
* what does he do in the US?
* some questions regarding the wedding pictures, like who is who, specially the parents.

Note: The procedure for H4 interview is different for Mumbai Vs Delhi/Chennai/Kolkata.
for Mumbai: you have to have Marriage Certificate in hand, before you can schedule the visa interview.
for Delhi/Kolkata/Chennai: you can schedule visa interview before marriage and show the papers at the time of interview.