is spouse name in passport a MUST for H4?

h1query

Registered Users (C)
gurus, please help.

husband in USA on H1. wife still in home country and will apply for H4, but husband's name is not endorsed in wife's passport. does she need to get husband's name entered in her passport before going for H4 interview? or she can get H4 visa without the endorsement?

thanks for your help.

its not compulsory. I got my wife's H4 from Chennai 1.5years back without name endorsement. Confirm this with the consulate you are planning to go. I heard that some consulates enforce for this.

Good luck,

Murali

Spouse name not a must in dependent's passport:

Spouse name not a must in dependent's passport:

Mar 31, 2005 update: my cousin appeared for her H4 visa interview at US Consulate Delhi in Mar 2005 (My brother in law was back in USA by then - on H1). She got her H4 without any problem.

she carried:
- a thick stack of papers (all bundled together in the sequence mentioned by US Consulate Delhi website: http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/wwwhnivdep.html). They also attached some wedding photos, wedding invitation letter, copy of marriage cert. in this stack.
- passport in her maiden name. Her passport was issued before marriage.
- her husband's name was not entered (endorsed) in her passport.
- wedding photo album
- original marriage certificate from Govt of Delhi and the Local Temple.

during interview:
- the visa officer did not look at her passport. His focus was on the husband and the marriage. He looked at each paper in the bundle. He also saw all the pictures in the album.
- his Q:
* how did you meet your husband?
* how long have you known your husband?
* when did you first meet and how did you get married?
* how long has your husband been in the US?
* what does he do in the US?
* some questions regarding the wedding pictures, like who is who, specially the parents.

Note: The procedure for H4 interview is different for Mumbai Vs Delhi/Chennai/Kolkata.
for Mumbai: you have to have Marriage Certificate in hand, before you can schedule the visa interview.
for Delhi/Kolkata/Chennai: you can schedule visa interview before marriage and show the papers at the time of interview.

husbands name endorsed on passport ---not needed.

I came on H4 on my maiden name. Husbands name endorsed is not needed. I carried marriage certificate and wedding photo album at the consulate. More concentration was given on checking H1 followed by a couple of quesions like In which company does your husband work ? where in USA does he stay ?
It was fairly simple and the whole process, once called for interview took less then 5 minutes.
Hope this is useful

husbands name endorsed on passport ---not needed.

I came on H4 on my maiden name. Husbands name endorsed is not needed. I carried marriage certificate and wedding photo album at the consulate. More concentration was given on checking H1 followed by a couple of quesions like In which company does your husband work ? where in USA does he stay ?
It was fairly simple and the whole process, once called for interview took less then 5 minutes.
Hope this is useful

Not necessarily. Coz in a situation where dependent(s) passport were made before the marriage, marriage certificate should work. I also had done the same thing 5 yrs ago and till date we made no changes.

good luck. mukesh - rahasiam.com

I understand that now a days Chennai consulate insists about Husband's name mentioned in the passport.