Is name change necessary for I130/I485 through marriage?

tinkerman

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am going to apply for my I130/I485 based on my wife being a US citizen. She hasn't changed her maiden name after our marriage more than a year ago (she hasn't taken my last name). We just haven't felt the need to. Will this negatively affect my application. Should we change her last name before we apply?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Tinkerman

I was wondering the same thing. I will be married to a USC soon, but don't plan on changing my name. I asked about this, and everyone said it was not a problem and as long as your marraige is legit. I can't see why it would reflect badly on your application, as many of us gals don't chnage our names once married. I actually think it will make things easier, as all of my documents (birth cert, passport, DL, ect) are all under my maiden name, and I don't have to worry about changing my name on them, so everything matches up.

It is not a problem, and many of my friends didn't change their name. I changed mine just because I like my hubby's last name, and mine is difficult to pronounce. however, his name turned out to be even more difficult to pronounce for other people and I don't know why. They can't read, I guess.

My change has only been on paper. In academic and work life, i am still going by my maiden name, as do many of my professors. :)

the maiden Name change, always looks better to Ins . But not required
all it means is they will ask more more questions as to why or why not the name change ..is always questionable.

philosophy is ..keep things simple.. I would like to think my wife would honour my name .. the family name , you both married into .

dont force her .. just explain to ins

best of luck to you :)

name change follow up question

I have a follow up question about the name change.

Both of my fiance and I plan to change to a new last name (his last name-my last name). I do want to at least get the EDA card ASAP since I will need it to get a new job in the city where he lives. (we are not living together.) I wonder if I need to get all the documents changed to new name before applying for green card. What are your experience?

Thanks a lot.