is it true To maintain your GC you have to be make a trip to US every 6 months?

Clarification Requested

Thanks JoeF for the info. I was wondering if your comments are true even if you have been sent abroad for a project from the sponsoring company itself for long term. The company is paying salary in US in USD (direct deposit in a US bank) but requires the employee to travel worldwide for longterm (over a year or two) without returning to the US. Does this mean that GC holders can not even be deputed outside for work from the sponsoring company?

Thanks for your response once again.
-Oink Oink

No Title

Check with your company\'s immigration attorney on what options are available to you. If your employer is U.S. based, there are specific options available to you that help preserve your status and also minimize disruption of future naturalization.

GC Dreamer

I am in a similar boat - I spoke to my company attorney - but he didnot mention about any specific options available to help presere our status and also minimize disruption of future naturalization
Can you throw some more light on what those options are?

No Title

You need to get a re-entry permit (I-131) to maintain your PR status for > 1 year of absence (but no more than 2 years). If you intend to naturalize, also file N-470 (if eligible, since there are specific requirements such as having been a PR for at least 1 year).

I know of a situation where a PR employee of my company stayed > 2 years and was still able to return as a PR due to business reasons that forced her to stay longer than the 2 years allowed by the re-entry permit. She obtained a "Returning Resident" SB-1 visa from the U.S. consulate. I\'m not sure if this option is very limited or not but it is something I personally would not count on.

Again, you really need to check with a KNOWLEDGABLE attorney on what the options and requirements are for someone in YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION. You need to ensure you are doing what is required to maintain your residency ties to the U.S., and AFAIK you still need to pay taxes as a U.S. resident on your worldwide income even though you are living outside the country (in many cases bilateral reciprocal tax treaties will play into this).

How will the INS track that you\'ve bee outside the US ?

As far as I know they just track your entry date by stamping your passport. As long as you maintain residence in the US (Address, Car, Bank account) I am not sure how they want to track if I am in the country our outside.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

No Title

Airline tickets. stamps on your passport printed by other
countries. Credit card overseas use record, etc. Other
witnesses such as divorced ex-spouses, jealous coworkers,
neighbors, ex-girlfriend, etc swho can testify against you
Dare you lie to the INS when asked about your
duration abroad? May be they can even use polygraph to
determine if you lied or not.

Never heard that it happened...

I am just wondering, if it ever has happened to anybody. I traveled a lot with my GC and I\'ve been not questioned once. Not asked for a ticket, not asked for anything, which would prove that I live in the US.

Does anybody know anyone who has lost his/her GC?

No Title

Each year a couple of thousands of PRs lose their GC, mostly
due to staying abroad too long. Of course, I guess most
choose to loose GC becaus they don\'t want to live in the
USA anymore.