Is it safe to use NP to travel when I have GC

legalimmigrant

I'm planning to travel for a vacation (not my home country). I applied for the Re-entry Permit but don't know when I can get it. I read some previous postings and found out that if I have my GC from political asylum, I can use NP to travel outside US. I had booked my ticket so that I can secure a seat during christmas time. Can anybody tell me based on their experiences, is it safe to use NP with GC based on asylum? Did you get questioned when entering US again? Thank you!

legalimmigrant said:
I'm planning to travel for a vacation (not my home country). I applied for the Re-entry Permit but don't know when I can get it. I read some previous postings and found out that if I have my GC from political asylum, I can use NP to travel outside US. I had booked my ticket so that I can secure a seat during christmas time. Can anybody tell me based on their experiences, is it safe to use NP with GC based on asylum? Did you get questioned when entering US again? Thank you!

Wait until your trip for RP? If it doesn't arrive then go ahead and travel on your NP... Don't be a slave to something that is not even a law (i.e. traveling on NP with Asylum based GC).

You should get your Permit by the time you travel and I'm positive on this.Now if you choose to travel with your National Passport,you're safe to do this,since you're not going home.Again,no problem if you want to travel with your home passport.My aunt is an asylee and got her renwed national passport stamped when she was approved in Feb 2005,and the officer told her she can travel with.If uscis allows you to get your home passport stamped,it means it's not a matter and I don't see why you can't use it for travelling purpose.

legalimmigrant said:

Before I share my experience, I would like to emphasize that there are no rules with the INS. I know a large group of asylees that are now GC holders (me included) and we all received different requirements for our adjustment application. Anyway, while still an asylee, I traveled with NP. I also renewed my NP at my embassy. I included a copy of my renewed passport in the Request for Additional Evidence from the CIS before approving my application for GC. My friend did the same and no problem again, but please remember, no rules with the INS.

Please also bear in mind that your embassy can give you a hard time to renew your passport if they knew that you are an asylee. Some embassies don’t ask their citizens about their legal status in a foreign country of residence, but some do. So, you may get in more trouble with your government than what you fear the INS my do. Just some thoughts, good luck.

Question to Ma1232

Ma1232, you said in your post as asylee( before getting your GC),you took a trip with your NP.when entering US how the IO at port of entry did you let you in?You just forwarded your NP without visa and the IO let you in or others documents have been forwarded along with your NP.Did the IO send you to the checking room when entering with your NP?All folks need to learn more and your clarification will be appreciated.Thanks.

it takes one month to get REENTRY DOCUMENT

I applied for RE ENTRY TRAVEL DOCUMENT ON OCT 14,

TODAY I GOT APPROVED,

DONT USE YOUR NP

John smith 1,your a man.I always appreciated your business.Enjoy your new benefit as PR.Keep working round the clock.

I used my NP in 2002 when I traveled to 3rd country. I used NP because 3rd country didn't required visa for citizens of my country. I also had RTD, which I used only for reentry to the US. I had an Asylee status, and hadn't applied for GC yet at the time of my trip. IO on POE (NY) asked me for tickets, looked at the dates and destination. He checked on map where located the country ( map has a strange coloring, probably by terrorist activity level because many countries that we "hear in the news" were red then all Western Europe was beige) and ask me for the purpose of my trip. Stamp my I-94 and let me in the US. I sent copy of my NP and RTD with my I-485. So far no problem.

AG 06/01
ND 09/02
RFI rec 08/05
BIO3 09/05
RFI rec CIS 10/05
LUD 10/21

Last edited by a moderator:
cadel said:
Ma1232, you said in your post as asylee( before getting your GC),you took a trip with your NP.when entering US how the IO at port of entry did you let you in?You just forwarded your NP without visa and the IO let you in or others documents have been forwarded along with your NP.Did the IO send you to the checking room when entering with your NP?All folks need to learn more and your clarification will be appreciated.Thanks.

while I was an asylee, I applied for 'Avance Parole', upon re-entry to the USA, I was redirected to a back office with an IO who checked my papers and asked me where I've been and sent me on my way. I traveled twice while an asylee and the same thing happened everytime I entered the USA. The last time was with my renewed NP and no problem. Again, no rules with the CIS. My friend -which was an asylee too- was returning from a visit to Canada; they gave her a very hard time and she had to miss her bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to bring this topic up again...but I plan to go to Poland and called the embassy and they say they won't give me visa in a Reentry Permit, only passport.

So I have no choice but to go with my NP, I have green card...

Have anyone who already received their GC recently travelled with their NP? Care to share your experiences?

My friend just came back from Canada and she used het GC & renewed NP; she was asked a couple of questions at the point of entry about when she came to the USA and to confirm that she got her GC thru asylum and that's it.

You can apply for a RTD and use it in place of a NP and some embassies will give you a visa on it and some will waive the visa requirment just for using your USA RTD.. Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!