Is it mandatory to have filed 3 tax years for I 864EZ?

NEWFILER

Registered Users (C)
While Reviewing I 864 EZ to prepare to fill up by marriage based by young friend(USC):
It mentions that:
A)Item'
19. Federal income tax information.
I have filed a Federal tax return for each of the *three* most recent tax years. I have attached the required photocopy or transcript of my Federal tax return for only the most recent tax year......
'
--That means is it mandatory he to have filed 3 years tax returns to file I 864EZ for sponsoring his spouse?or most recent tax year is enough,if income is well above 125%.(His income is well above this limit,no worry and working from 2.5 years .Filed 1040 for last 2 years.Before that he was a student)
B)
It also mentions
'My total income (adjusted gross income on IRS Form 1040EZ) as reported on my Federal tax returns for the most recent three years was:'
--Means filing 1040 EZ is mandatory or filed 1040 is good enough?
C)What if if they file I 864 instead of I 864 EZ,though he quaifies for EZ.
Will it be returned?
Thanks for any advise on these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last three years is mandatory, unless the sponsor wasn't required to file the return. 1040/1040EZ or 864/864EZ doesn't make any difference. However, you are only required to send copies/transcript of the tax return for the most recent tax year.

Thanks for the reply.
He was student,dependent then and no income.
But the form asks to fill Item 19--I have filed....(for 3 years)
where as he was not required to file to IRS since dependent and no unearned or earned income beyond stipualted for 2006.
So can he skip checking the box 19,because if he checks the box,he is accepting/stating that he filed for 3 years?
What he shall do?Without cheking that box will CIS treat it as incomplete.(Providing wrong information,he is worried).
Pl. advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.
He was student,dependent then and no income.
But the form asks to fill Item 19--I have filed....(for 3 years)
where as he was not required to file to IRS since dependent and no unearned or earned income beyond stipualted for 2006.
So can he skip checking the box 19,because if he checks the box,he is accepting/stating that he filed for 3 years?
What he shall do?Without cheking that box will CIS treat it as incomplete.(Providing wrong information,he is worried).
Pl. advise.

I believe it will be treated as incompleted. He can write a statement and attach it to the form. Did he ever think about doing that?