Is it a problem to get TN visa with a passport that will be expired?

flynn

Registered Users (C)
Greetings all,

I'm a Canadian on TN status. I'll renew my TN soon. I'm planning to obtain 3 year visa. But my passport will be expired next year. Is this a problem to get 3 year TN visa, or do I have to renew my passport first?

Thanks a lot,

Flynn

The question I have though is say he's going to get his new TN at the border. Wouldn't that mean he'd have to leave the US, then re-enter and then apply for the new TN?

If so would they allow him in to the US with the non-valid passport since the new rules took place?

They might give him a TN, but might not admit him into the country.

Mail in TN of course you wouldn't have that issue.

Just curious...

He said his passport will expire next year; he is going for TN renewal before then.

His concern is based on the oft-misquoted notion that one's passport must be valid for the entire period of a visa's validity. This is not universally true, and is certainly not true in the case of a TN, since no visa is being issued.

He said his passport will expire next year; he is going for TN renewal before then.

His concern is based on the oft-misquoted notion that one's passport must be valid for the entire period of a visa's validity. This is not universally true, and is certainly not true in the case of a TN, since no visa is being issued.

I just re-read it, I was thinking it was during the same time...

Thanks nelsona, JerryR and warlord. nelsona's right, my passport will be expired in July 2010. So I plan to re-new it by then in the US.

Flynn

the information I read on the below link is frightening. It states now we are required to have the passport valid for the entire period of stay.

please add www
naftatnlawyer.com/nafta-tn-blog/2009/6/16/make-sure-passports-valid-for-entire-period-of-tn-stay.html

My passport expires in sept 2010 and I am applying for a 3 year extension on jan 4 2010, am I in trouble ? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I wouldn't worry much about this. First off, we have no reports that CBP is enforcing this -- we would have heard here, no? --, and second, much of this applies to VISAS, which TN is not. --

I wouldn't worry much about this. First off, we have no reports that CBP is enforcing this -- we would have heard here, no? --, and second, much of this applies to VISAS, which TN is not. --

I'm reporting one here. When my wife came back to US from overseas three months ago, the CBP officer told her she can only have her TD valid up to the expiration date of her passport which is 1.5 years earlier than the expiration of my TN. He even checked my passport to make sure that my passport is valid for the entire duration of my TN. Fortunately, I just renewed my passport and there was no problem. He told my wife after she renews her passport, she can have her TD issued up to the expiration of my TN next time she enters US.