Is Changing name in SSN card a problem ??

sertra2002

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife is my deravative on my EB, I-485 aplication. In the application, and on her Social Security Card her maiden name is being used. She recently started working on EAD, her paychecks have her married last name.

I have two questions a) if I change her name on SSN card to married name, will it cause any issue with GC process ?

b) The only reason I want to change her name on SS card is, because I feel it may be an issue during filing of her tax returns. If this is not an issue I will not bother with changing her name on SS card.

I do not want to change her name on GC application as this will be too probelamatic. Maybe it will be easier to just have her payroll in maiden name, but since, due to over sight, she is getting pay check in married name I wanted to see what are the best alternatives.

Thanks,
sertra2002

sertra2002 said:
Hi,

My wife is my deravative on my EB, I-485 aplication. In the application, and on her Social Security Card her maiden name is being used. She recently started working on EAD, her paychecks have her married last name.

I have two questions a) if I change her name on SSN card to married name, will it cause any issue with GC process ?

b) The only reason I want to change her name on SS card is, because I feel it may be an issue during filing of her tax returns. If this is not an issue I will not bother with changing her name on SS card.

I do not want to change her name on GC application as this will be too probelamatic. Maybe it will be easier to just have her payroll in maiden name, but since, due to over sight, she is getting pay check in married name I wanted to see what are the best alternatives.

Thanks,
sertra2002

I would change her name after GC is approved.

fast_gc_seeker said:
I would change her name after GC is approved.

I am not planning to change her name on GC aplication, but only on Social Security card. Does any one has any experince on this. Maybe our CPA expert, unitednations can give his comments ?

Thanks.

sertra2002 said:
I am not planning to change her name on GC aplication, but only on Social Security card.

This should not be a problem. So long as you have the marriage certificate showing the reason for the change, all is good.

sertra2002 said:
I am not planning to change her name on GC aplication, but only on Social Security card. Does any one has any experince on this. Maybe our CPA expert, unitednations can give his comments ?

Thanks.

Thats what I said serta..I would change her name on all legal documents
like pp,gc,ss card blah blah..once her 485 is approved and she gets plastic
cards.

sertra2002 said:

Different surname is never going to be an issue for filing tax. My wife's surname is different from me and we are filing join tax returns since we got married. Name is not an issue as long as you both agree that you are spouses for each other.
I would recommand her to change last name with her employer (reverting back to mainden name) so that she gets her W-2 with maiden name. Once she get her W-2 with her maiden name I don't see any further issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
pralay said:
Different surname is never going to be an issue for filing tax. My wife's surname is different from me and we are filing join tax returns since we got married. Name is not an issue as long as you both agree that you are spouses for each other.

Thanks for your response. But by different surname I meant her surname will be different in W2 and SS card. I did not mean that I and she will have different surname. We two have different surnames and have been filing taxes. My only concern is if her last name is different in SS card and W2, will this delay / cause problem in tax filing ? I guess I could try searcing in IRS or ssa.gov websites ?

sertra2002 said:
My only concern is if her last name is different in SS card and W2, will this delay / cause problem in tax filing ? I guess I could try searcing in IRS or ssa.gov websites ?

Though, all the incomes and tax returns are checked against SSN (not by last name, first name), it's still better to keep W-2 and SSN names same and consistent. As she has GC, SSN with maiden name, it's easier to change her name with employer so that she gets her W-2 with maiden name. Changing name with employer is going to be easier than changing name on SSN and GC. In addition, she need to pay fee for GC name change.