Is a GC an answer?

radmen

Banned
Adding to the woes of delays in I-485 processing is the latest spurt of news that US IT companies are really looking towards offshore development.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-976828.html?part=dht&tag=ntop
Also see related article http://news.com.com/2009-1069-964069.html

So what good does it do for a GC holder if he cannot find a decent project? Work at Mickey-D's and BK tossing burgers or stocking shelves at Walmart for minimum wages?

SIGH!!!!!!!:(

This is coming from an out of work programmer (also GC holder) desperately looking for some good offers in New England area.:mad:

The last bit of the article scares me. It says

"However, Indian firms typically can accomplish IT projects for U.S. clients with 90 percent to 95 percent of the work done in India, she said. She estimated that as much as 40 percent to 50 percent of U.S. IT services work could be done overseas in the next five to 10 years--raising serious concerns about the prospects for U.S. IT workers".

Hey don't try to flame me. It's just a perspective.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Good ideas. This is capitalism. They will take whatever way to maximize profit. Get out of IT ASAP if you are not old.

Originally posted by radmen
Adding to the woes of delays in I-485 processing is the latest spurt of news that US IT companies are really looking towards offshore development.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-976828.html?part=dht&tag=ntop
Also see related article http://news.com.com/2009-1069-964069.html

So what good does it do for a GC holder if he cannot find a decent project? Work at Mickey-D's and BK tossing burgers or stocking shelves at Walmart for minimum wages?

SIGH!!!!!!!:(

This is coming from an out of work programmer (also GC holder) desperately looking for some good offers in New England area.:mad:

The last bit of the article scares me. It says

"However, Indian firms typically can accomplish IT projects for U.S. clients with 90 percent to 95 percent of the work done in India, she said. She estimated that as much as 40 percent to 50 percent of U.S. IT services work could be done overseas in the next five to 10 years--raising serious concerns about the prospects for U.S. IT workers".

Hey don't try to flame me. It's just a perspective.:D

to radmen

are u considering going out of NE? i mean, there are lots of opportunities outside that state... dont wait for the job to come to u, if u make it so, what u said about tossing burgers and stacking up at wlamart would be your next best thing...

GC IS definaitely an answer! Otherwise why we waste our time here? At least you can flip burger, without GC, you even can not flip burger legally.

We seem to all forget about we are knowledge workers and we have to keep our skills constantly up to date. So instead of languishing all day on this message board, how about going out and learn Java, J2EE, Wireless Java?
The best way to avoid a layoff is to make sure that no one can do the stuff you can, at the price you can. If I can be replaced by some guy from China or India, I'd better get out of this business.

We have done two out sourced development, one in the US and one in India and each time was a disaster. And guess who has to clean up the mess? The GC holders here in this country. Don't pay attention to those research groups, they are just idiots!
Good luck.
-- GG

green_gator is right

For a few cents any tom-d-h will write a non sense. Statistics is misleading. I am sure : even if projects /support is going over seas they WILL come back because our desi behaviors over there.

I still cannot understand how these people are trusting Indian firms? I do not think they are giving out cream work. Just works like scrapping junks.

GC_ka_jhanjhat:

I think you're making blanket statements belittling the prowess of Indian engineers. Some of the Indian firms are more trustworthy than American firms. That's why they get the business. American corporations aren't morons to hand over multi-million dollars to anyone. They do their homework well and award outsourcing contracts after doing a good bit of research.

I work for a Fortune 10 company and I allocate some outsourcing work to India. Except one project, they have done an excellent job on lots of others. We pay about $30-45 per hour for the work but they tend to do more than the US counterparts in a similar timespan. Their documentation and detail to work is actually far better.

You cannot paint all companies that develop with the same brush stroke. There are definitely major success stories. Also, the US companies and management are not dumb to give repeated work to India (making it an IT services powerhouse) if failures were rampant.

Besides, if you belittle all Indian IT workers, you came through the same system. Then you are of the same standard.

At the same time, I believe in the long run IT services in the US will become a commodity and nothing special. If you are on the cutting edge and constantly improve your knowledge, you will get paid extremely well.

Globalization can work either way. When US/Western companies went to the 3rd world and started their companies/sold their products because of WTO, lot of locals lost business. It works the same way around now. Even within US, when Walmart/supermarkets/Walgreens, etc. opened in a neighbourhood, the local mom & pop biz went kaput. But, those people found alternatives to live. Same goes everywhere.

On the brighter side, even now India makes 10 Billion $$ per year in IT servies. IBM alone does $30 Billion per year in IT services globally.

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever the case...

GC or no GC, you gotta keep the $$s coming to live here. There's no way around it..I mean you could have your rich-ass mill owner dad send you money from India but U need the $$s. Yes, you could stay with family or friends and live on unemployment (like I did) for 6 months plus whatever layoff $$s you got, make that a total (avg.) for 9 months....plus EAD validity....da da da....it is a pain in the butt..but guess what, when you get job after whatever number of months, man!! it sure does feel good. So, hang in there guys....it's beginning to look like christmas !!

merry christmas and a happy new year

companies hiring now in california are (I'm not kidding! and dont f**king ask me how I know..apply if you like)..dunno about H1 guys...this is for EAD / GC/ Citizens....

Symantec oracle apps.
Remedy (BMC) applications implementation consultant
PeopleSoft peopletools professionals, support
Kintana sql - pls/sql - oracle developers
Agilent oracle apps.

Don't quote me but these guys are hiring. Dont listen all those negative remarks from guys around you..give this a shot...if it works it works..otherwise, you are back to looking for jobs again...so...good luck.

I waited for a lifetime to get my GC. Now I have it, but there are no jobs out there anymore....

Sigh....I guess we can always go back to India...:(

hi wheresmahgreen how r u?
did you find your GC? its very close to you.........lolz

Outsourcing Wave

Having worked in IT management for a few years now, my take on this is that this outsourcing wave is temporary and is bound to wind down as the economy improves here and more companies are confident enough to invest in more and more development projects. Remember this was the situation in the early 90's before the .com boom.

My philosophy has always been that why should IT professionals like us stoop down to flipping burgers and stacking up Walmart shelves (don't mean to disrespect anyone), but what is there in the US that we have to stay here regardless of what jobs we do?
Most of us come from very respectful families in India and whether we accept or not, we would never have to work in restaurants or gas stations even if we are out of jobs. This is of course the case if we are the first generation here and looking for greener pastures leaving all our relatives back in India.

My conclusion is that during these times, we have to focus our thoughts logically and look at a bigger picture rather than forcing the first decision of staying in the US and then evaluating how we can keep the $$$s coming.