IRS taxes filed seperately Problem

jj_j_2006

Registered Users (C)
While preparing the tax copies for the N-400 application, I noticed that last year when I filed my federal taxes, I selected "single" instead of "married filing seperately". But for my State taxes I filed "married filing seperately".
How would affect my application?
Can I call IRS and resubmit my application?
Any suggestions

I did'nt submit tax returns with my App.
The document checklist did not require me to do that. I plan on taking the returns for the Interview.

Do you have a special case where you have to submit Tax Returns WITH the App.?

always

I beleive with the N-400 (based on marriage) you need to submit:
1. Taxes
2. Lease or mortgage papers
3. Copy of green card
4. copy of marriage liscence

The only documents that is required with N400 during submittion are: two photos, copy of GC (front and back), the copy of all pages of your valid (at least for six months) passport, any addition papers in case of space provided on the form is not enough for your answer (such as arrest and/or any conviction incident), lastly, the check with proper amount to cover the application fee and fingerprint fee ($400 as of current). There is no requirement to send in taxes record, marriage license. If any of those that USCIS deemed necessary, it will be listed on your Interview Letter. It is a good idea that you have all of those available during the interview even it was not asked just in case.....

As a LPR you are required to file your taxes as a resident ( ex : from 1040EZ and NOT 1040 NR-EZ ).
But USCIS is not the IRS : depending on the kind of mistake you make, the USCIS might not even see it.
However, remember that you are responsible for what you file.

If I remember correctly, tax retruns can be asked, but won't necessarily.

I have the same issue. I've not had a problem as of yet with them. They are just looking if you filed your taxes. If they wanted to see in my case if I'm still married (Marriage based GC), then it states on the forms: Married filing single and it will also list your spouses name on it. So filing single but married is fine and you shouldn't have any problem with it...

1040x

That is exactly what I was doing today, filing 1040X.

Ok ..... I have read about so many documents thatI can send with the N-400 (Marraige based), I have no tickets and no criminal problems but when i read the application it only stated:For more information on the documents you must sendwith your application, see the Document Checklist inthe Guide
And when I checked the guide, it said:
All applicants must send the following 3 things with their N-400 application:
1. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as the Alien Registration Receipt Card or “Green
Card”). If you have lost the card, submit a photocopy of the receipt of your Form I-90, Application to Replace Alien Registration
Receipt Card;
2. Two (2) identical color photographs, with your name and “A” number written lightly in pencil on the back of each. For details
about the photo requirements, see part 5 of A Guide to Naturalization and the Form M-378 instructions distributed with your
application. Do not wear eyeglasses or earrings for the photo. Note that if your religion requires you to wear a head covering,
your facial features and your right ear must still be exposed in the photo for purposes of identification; AND
3. A check or money order for the application fee and the fingerprinting fee, as stated in the M-479 Current Naturalization Fees
enclosure in the Guide. (Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from fingerprinting and the fingerprinting fee). Write
your “A” number on the back of the check or money order.
Also
If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 things:
1. Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
• birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth), OR
• naturalization certificate, OR
• certificate of citizenship, OR
• the inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport, OR
• Form FS240, “Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America”

2. Your current marriage certificate; AND

3. Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)); AND

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:
• tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, OR
• IRS-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years, OR
• an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.