interviewed and approved (I485 case)

comcast

Registered Users (C)
Greetings to you all,

This morning I attended my I485 interview at the Atlanta district office and I received my approval on the spot (actually I had to wait in the waiting room for a few more hours while the officer checked with Nebraska for an asylee visa number).

I am glad that this was finally behind me.

Please let me know if you have any questions pertaining to my immigration experience. Sooner or later I will write a book about this. :)

Congratulations and good luck!!!
BTW can you post the dates and did you get the stamp or temporary card?

Congrats

Let me be the first to congatulate you. Enjoy your GC life. Could you please share your time-line. RD, ND etc.
Thanks

comcast said:
Greetings to you all,

This morning I attended my I485 interview at the Atlanta district office and I received my approval on the spot (actually I had to wait in the waiting room for a few more hours while the officer checked with Nebraska for an asylee visa number).

Please let me know if you have any questions pertaining to my immigration experience. Sooner or later I will write a book about this. :)
Congratsssss. Can you please post your dates for those who are still wiaiting for their green cards?

shamshon said:
Congratsssss. Can you please post your dates for those who are still wiaiting for their green cards?

You are not going to believe my timeline. I first applied for asylum in August 1991, on the day the Soviet hardliners launched their abortive coup. I was first scheduled for an interview in August 1997 but the asylum officer cancelled it without giving a reason. I was finally interviewed in December 1998. I applied for adjustment in January 2000. I was finerprinted last summer.

comcast said:
You are not going to believe my timeline. I first applied for asylum in August 1991, on the day the Soviet hardliners launched their abortive coup. I was first scheduled for an interview in August 1997 but the asylum officer cancelled it without giving a reason. I was finally interviewed in December 1998. I applied for adjustment in January 2000. I was finerprinted last summer.
Great story. I also applied in 92, was interviewed in 97 and applied for I-485 in septmber 98. I was then approved it in Feb 2003 and was backdated a year. So now i have less than 2 years to apply for my citizenship. Congrats again

comcast said:

shamshon said:
Great story. I also applied in 92, was interviewed in 97 and applied for I-485 in septmber 98. I was then approved it in Feb 2003 and was backdated a year. So now i have less than 2 years to apply for my citizenship. Congrats again

If you don't mind me asking why such a big gap '91-'97; '92-'98 I think I waited only three months in '96-'97.

samoel said:
If you don't mind me asking why such a big gap '91-'97; '92-'98 I think I waited only three months in '96-'97.

Before 1995 the asylum system here was a mess. The Asylum Offices were so short staffed that the vast majority of applications were just dumped into the file rooms without being acted on. At the time asylum applicants were automatically granted permission to work. So while genuine asylum seekers never got the chance to prove their cases, the system became a magnet for fraud as illegal aliens filed boilerplate applications for the sole purpose of getting EAD cards.

The INS reformed the asylum system in 1995 and things have been working quite well. They now interview new applicants in a matter of months. Their efficiency helped build up the adjustment backlog, by the way. But many old cases (pre 1995 cases) are still sitting in the file cabinets.

comcast said:
Greetings to you all,

Congratulations!!!!

thankful said:
Before 1995 the asylum system here was a mess. The Asylum Offices were so short staffed that the vast majority of applications were just dumped into the file rooms without being acted on. At the time asylum applicants were automatically granted permission to work. So while genuine asylum seekers never got the chance to prove their cases, the system became a magnet for fraud as illegal aliens filed boilerplate applications for the sole purpose of getting EAD cards.

The INS reformed the asylum system in 1995 and things have been working quite well. They now interview new applicants in a matter of months. Their efficiency helped build up the adjustment backlog, by the way. But many old cases (pre 1995 cases) are still sitting in the file cabinets.
Exactly. I know a couple of folks who applied in 92 and did not get interviews yet

asylum i-485

congratolution to you and good luck on the next step n-400 after 4 years from now ....i wish you the best :) :) :) :)

congratulatios comcast
could you please post your dates
when did your case transferred from nebraska to atlanta?
and how lonk t took to get the interview ?
thanx

Hey guys, i just did not want to open a new thread. I got a question about I-485 process. How long does it usually take from time of submitting I-485 and receiving a notice for fingerprinting? The reason i am asking is because i was planning to travel to Europe to meet my family right after filing I-485. I have not seen my two little kids for almost two years now... But at the same time i hate to think if i miss fingerprinting it will affect my I 485 timeline. :(

Also again a question about USCIS requiring a proof of one year physical presence in US before submitting I-485. i am not trying to be smart or smth but if you read carefully the following from their website:

Gaining LPR Status as an Asylee

Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is used to adjust the status of asylees to that of a permanent resident. Applicants must have been physically present in the United States in asylee status for at least a total of one year prior to filing the Form I-485

It clearly says at least "a TOTAL" (does not sound like "continously" to me :rolleyes: ). Doesn`t it seem to you guys that let`s say an asylee stays in US for 9 months (just an example) then he travels out of US, comes back and after another 3 months he is allowed to file I485 then? :confused:

i will appreciate any of your comments.

best of all to everybody!

comcast -

Congrats! It is always a pleasure to hear of someone's approval. Hope it is smooth sailing from here on end.

LolaLI can you please post your dates (ND, RD etc)

Big congratulations to you. It is always a good sign. And please do write that book. I think about it all the time but have no energy!

EspressoJoy -

My timeline is as follows:

RD - Aug. 1999
ND - Nov. 1999
FP - Aug. 2003
RFE Requested - Oct. 2003
Approval - Nov 2003
Plastic Card Rc'd - May 2004

sickwaiting said:
congratulatios comcast
could you please post your dates
when did your case transferred from nebraska to atlanta?
and how lonk t took to get the interview ?
thanx

I already answered your questions.

Hey Comcast, if you're still in the forum, can you share your interview experience with us? My case was transferred to the local office and I may have to go for an interview.

Thanks, Gino

comcast said:
Greetings to you all,

comcast said:
Greetings to you all,

So, today is the VERY HAPPY day for both of us. Congratulations!