interview under age 14?

moonmosaic

Registered Users (C)
Do kids get interviewed when filed independently? I know they don't need fingerprinting but I was told, once a I-485 is generated an IL is also sent out. So if my husband takes his stepdaughter to the interview what questions do they ask from an 8 year old? :confused:

yes

Her name… her passport… what grade she’s in…staff like that.
My son was 13 at this AOS interview and both me and my husbands were there.
Once mom’s marriage base GC is approved, the kid’s case will be approved as well.
But they still need to schedule the interview just to make sure it’s the same child as on an application photo.

If the kid is a primary beneficiary of a separate I-130 petition, they will need an interview. That is the case if the petitioning stepparent or parent is a US citizen.
If kids are dependents on their parent's I-130 form, they do not need to be present in most cases until the age of 14. That is the case if the petitioning stepparent or parent is a GC holder.

But you don't need to pay $80.00 for 14 or under? Does that mean its free for kids?

The Immigration Officer suggested that it's not me but my husband who petitions for my daughter, any idea why? I remember her "out of status" question coming up to what he replied: "if your husband files for her it will be forgiven".

So if I filed for her she wouldn't need to go the the interview? Wouldn't it be more cost affective for DHS not to have to schedule the interview and to suggest I file not my husband?
:confused:

but you don't need to pay $80.00 for 14 or under? Does that mean its free for kids? you don't pay the biometrics fee but they go for the biometrics.
the immigration officer suggested that it's not me but my husband who petitions for my daughter, any idea why? I remember her "out of status" question coming up to what he replied: "if your husband files for her it will be forgiven". if he files, her out-of-status will be forgiven, he is a usc, you are not.[/font]
so if i filed for her she wouldn't need to go the the interview? Wouldn't it be more cost affective for dhs not to have to schedule the interview regardless of her being a child, she will still have to go for an interview, I think. and to suggest i file not my husband? your husband is the usc, you are not. If he petitions her, then her out-of-status will be forgiven.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the kid is a primary beneficiary of a separate I-130 petition, they will need an interview. That is the case if the petitioning stepparent or parent is a US citizen.
If kids are dependents on their parent's I-130 form, they do not need to be present in most cases until the age of 14. That is the case if the petitioning stepparent or parent is a GC holder.

I included my daughter initially in all of the applications as being a dependent. Still she is now out of status because my husband is a USC not a GC holder?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you think that if I filed, being a GC holder only, her case would drag on because of her status or even worse, she might get rejected? I don't know why the attorney suggested not filing for her.

I feel like an idiot because i did what the attorney suggested without questioning it and now I am left with nothing but questions. :rolleyes:

I can't even get hold of her until december 8th....:(

I included my daughter initially in all of the applications as being a dependent. Still she is now out of status
Yes
because my husband is a USC not a GC holder?
No. She would be out of status even if he were a GC holder. He needs to file concurrently I-130 with I-485 for her. Only then her case would start. After her petition I-130 is apprved, she will be scheduled an interview.

So you think that if I filed, being a GC holder only, her case would drag on because of her status or even worse, she might get rejected? I don't know why the attorney suggested not filing for her.
Did you file I-130 for her? Or did you expect she is automatically included into her I-485?

Did you come into US on K-1 or K-3? And she on K-2 or K-4?

Did you file I-130 for her? Or did you expect she is automatically included into her I-485?

I came here on an F-1 and she was an F-2. I included her in all the applications, filled out by my husband and by me and filled out a separate I-130 for her but not a I-485.

She came as F1, child as F2. Her daughter's 130 was rejected. She didn't file 485 for her because she thought she will automatically be included.

But why was 130 even rejected - because with or without 485, her daughter's 130 should have been accepted. Maybe wrong petitioner on 130.

Who filed I-130 for her? You?
Did you file I-130 for her before you got your GC?

She submitted both hers and daughter's 130, yes, before she got her green card. Hers was processed, her daughter's was rejected. Husband was petitioner, not sure he was petitioner for her daughter, too. She may have petitioned for her daughter instead of husband, hence the rejection.