Interview passed @ Philly DO

nice_guy_gc

Registered Users (C)
passed interview today at Philadelphia DO.

Interview schedule time 2.20pm, arrived there around 1.45pm. Apparently today was an Oath Day and there was a long line of people ahead of me for the security checks on the ground floor. It took me around 15 mins to pass the security and go to 3rd floor. There was an instruction/notice posted on the door that mentioned to sit and wait for your name to be called. Nobody from USCIS was present to take the IL.

After a wait of 25 mins or so, my name was called by an IO and I was requested to follow him. Once we reached his room, I was asked to raise the right hand and swear to speak truthfully.

The IO asked if I am electing for a name change...No. He asked me to show him the DL, Passport and GC.

He went over the N-400 application with me. Verified Name, address etc. Then asked my current employer name and what do I do there. I replied with the details and mentioned I work in the IT as <designation>. Then he moved to the next section about foreign trips, asked when was the last trip and if any trip was more than 6 months. I had a trip to UK for more than 5 months but less than 6 months and the IO didn't ask me anything about it.

He went over the other sections in the form and asked me about children. We had a new baby girl 2 weeks back so I mentioned it to him, he said Congrats, and I gave him the updated sheet. The IO took it from me and put it in the file and handed the old page back to me (saved him and me 5 mins of time I guess).

Then the IO went over the Yes/No questions, asking few ...skipping few. Asked specifically about Taxes....if I paid my taxes on time or owe any amount .....No. Then he asked me about any Arrests, I said No and mentioned I had a traffic ticket. He asked me how much was the fine, I said $135 and it was paid; it was about 9 years back. He said thats fine and didn't ask for any payment proof or any other details. It appears fine less than $500 is not a concern to them. I don't think he noted down any traffic ticket details in the N-400 form. I hadn't mentioned the details either but choose to mention it during the interview and let IO make a decision if N400 need to be updated. I did carry a certified copy proving the ticket was paid but it wasn't asked for. The rest of Yes/No questions were asked and then I was given the Civic test. I was asked 7 questions even though the first 6 were correct. Then I was asked to read a sentence and write a sentence.

Finally the IO then said.......I passed the test and my application is approved :). He asked me to sign at 2 places and write my complete name, also I had to sign on the photos. After that he handed me the N-652 with Application recommended for Approval option selected. I Thanked him for the approval.

He informed that I will receive an Oath letter in the mail and my Oath could be around end of Sept. At that time I requested him if my Oath can be on the same day as my wife's. My wife's interview was on 08/17 and it would be great if we both have the Oath on the same day. I gave my wife's A# to the IO and told she hasn't received the Oath letter yet. He checked something on the computer, noted down her A# and told me .....I will see what can be done here. Hopefully it will be on the same day.

Then he said interview is done and I am approved. Requested me to follow him. He accompanied me to the exit and I again Thanked him and wished him good day.

One more thing.....I had received a Yellow letter requesting me to bring DL/Photo ID at the time of interview, I asked IO if he needs to have that Yellow letter. He said No....its for your information only and you keep it.

Overall it took around 15 mins or so. Another milestone completed in the immigration journey.......Hopefully will receive Oath letter in 2-3 weeks. So far it took exactly 3 months from the date I filed N-400. Not bad at all.

Thanks everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences. It helped me a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations!!!! Chees---

4/15/2009: NOA - Application receipt
5/11/2009: FP notice
5/15/2009: FP done (Early walk-in)
5/23/2009: Yellow letter (Wife)
5/30/2009: IL received
7/17/2009: IL date
8/19/2009: Oath date (USC) 
8/22/2009: Passport applied

Congratulations.

I think mentioning how tricck ticket is handled by IOs is very helpful to everyone who will go to the same DO. More or less it reflect that DO's practice