• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Interview Outcome - 7th August - US Embassy - Dar es Salaam - Tanzania

Momo1980

Registered Users (C)
Well the day finally came...I was up since 3am as I couldn't sleep and was at the US Embassy at 7:20am.

I finally had the pleasure of meeting another forum friend in person (msaki2012) and another young Tanzanian and we all had a very pleasant conversation outside while waiting amongst the three of us and a family who came for their interview as well.

At 8am the list came out from the consular section and given to the security guards and we were finally allowed in. After the usual security routine, we were told to remove our documents from our folders and take only those inside for the interview.

Once inside we submitted our documents to the first counter one by one in the sequence we were asked for e.g. school documents, police certificates, medical, work related documents (I wasn't asked for this), bank statement and photographs (BIG PHEW that I took these as I wasn't sure if we had to).

First a lady and her daughter went through and their visa was approved. Then msaki2012 went through and his visa was approved (congratulations bro!) and then I was called up.

Here is my interview experience with a very pleasant young consular officer:

CO - how're you this morning?
Me - fine thank you and yourself?
CO - I'm good thanks.

He then ruffled around some of my documents and got them in order one by one according to a list he had in front of him.

CO - so what is this ACCA thing (after a brief pause he read it properly); oh so you're an accountant.
Me - I would have been an accountant but I dropped out.
CO - why did you drop out?
Me - my father fell sick in my final year so I returned to Tanzania to take over the business.
CO - I understand and I see you went to the International School of Tanganyika which is fine.
CO - so what do you do for work at the moment?
Me - I'm in the printing industry and manage my parents' companies.
CO - oh that's good, how many people do you have working for you?
Me - during off-peak times 40 people and peak times 80 to 100 people.
CO - so there are seasons in printing? What determines a printing season?
Me - it depends on the item required, for example annual reports come out right before the financial year end and calendars come out towards the last quarter of the year but our printing is more NGO and private sector focused now and we also get contracts from USAID.
CO - oh that's very good to know!
CO - so you're divorced? Have you got your marriage and divorce documents with you?
Me - yes they're all there, I gave it to the lady at the first window.
CO - when did you get divorced? (looks at the decree); ah yes 2009, thats completely fine. So you're just applying for yourself correct?
Me - yes only for myself.
CO - so where will you live in America?
Me - in a small village called Macungie outside Allentown, PA.
CO - do you have family there?
Me - yes my aunt lives there.
CO - and what do you plan to do for work in America?
Me - I'm looking at a business venture such as a printshop.
CO - alright that's completely fine.

He then opened up my bank statement and glanced through it.

CO - so how long were you in the UK for?
Me - about five years.
CO - oh that's quite a long time which is why you've brought the UK police certificate.
Me - yes it took quite some effort to get that.
CO - I can't see your Tanzanian police certificate (flipped through the papers); ah here it is, that looks fine.
CO - how many times have you been to America?
Me - several times; my family and I frequently travel to the US and my younger brother just got his Green Card.
CO - that's good to know; when did you last visit?
Me - around mid 2011. I have my old passport if you'd like to have a look.
CO - no don't worry about it. I'll just look it up on the system (carefully goes through each visa I had previously for about 5 minutes).
CO - alright your documents are totally fine and in order and your visa is approved so congratulations. Please come and pick it up on Wednesday next week at 2pm.
Me - thank you very much sir! Don't you want to take my fingerprints?
CO - it shows you've been ten-printed before on the system but lets do it again anyway just for the sake of it (takes my fingerprints subsequently).
CO - that's it, you're all done. See you on Wednesday and good luck.
Me - thank you very much sir!

He didn't bother asking for the I-134 or my work affidavit letter or bank facility letter of financing we have or anything else which was surprising.

I want to thank a few people who have been instrumental with their guidance/help and for being well wishers:

britsimon - we're still on for dinner or drinks if we meet up in the US! Thanks for everything mate!
msaki2012 - it was a pleasure to meet you and I hope we'll stay in touch.
mutu14 - thank you for your kind wishes and prayers. They were instrumental in my success today.
Princedriss - we're still on for tennis in the US! Thanks for being a true friend!
BurundiWinner - your encouragement gave me strength; thank you!
gabam - if I made it so can you and my prayers are with you. Thank you for all your insight and guidance!
Sm1smom - whatever differences we had (for which I apologise), your guidance was excellent so thank you.
Hjkarki - we only just met but thank you for your kind wishes. I'll do my best to guide you on your journey.
SusieQQQ - what would I have done without you? Thank you for all your encouragement and help!
Roselyna - we too only just met but I must say thank you for your kind wishes yesterday.
ZukotheCat - you rock! Thanks for everything!
samershahin - thank you for wishing me well on this journey.
engmtolera - you'll make it through don't worry. Me and msaki2012 had no trouble at all.
gh50 - thank you for everything.
Vichel - your encouragement and guidance through my anxiety was integral to my success today so thank you!
4turya - thank you for your messages and encouragement! You'll make it don't worry!

If I've forgotten anyone, please forgive me and you have my sincerest gratitude!

I will continue to touch base with you all on the forum as the next phase of this journey begins!

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Bank Statements - 22nd July 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania - SUCCESS!!! SUCCESS!!! SUCCESS!!!
Visa Pick up - August 14th 2013
Departure Date - August 17th 2013 - booked already on Emirates!
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

Last edited by a moderator:
Wooooooooow this is great news Momo,i bless God for your life,you have been an inspiration and would continue to be.Enjoy yourself bro

Congratulations Momo! All the best for your travels over and hope you get settled in quickly!

WOW! I was waiting this story from you man since i joined the forum. CONGRATS! i think you are gonna have a very very pleasant Eid-Al Fitr along your US Visa! Eid-Mubarek!

Congraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats bro, i am really happy for u bro, congrats congrats, we will be for tennis inshalah for suuuure !!!

I am so glad for you Momo, congratulations. I prayed for you in the last 3 days, so this morning I was coming to the forum to see your success story and that is the first thing I saw, so glad. You did well by giving us the detailed interview experience. God be with you. You have been a blessing to many in this forum. Keep coming.

Congratulations Momo 1980. Its in fact a reason to celebrate after early release from the office today. We certainly could be up for some drinks in the states some day. All the best.
I must admit that was a very long post there. Awesome!

Well the day finally came...I was up since 3am as I couldn't sleep and was at the US Embassy at 7:20am.

I finally had the pleasure of meeting another forum friend in person (msaki2012) and another young Tanzanian and we all had a very pleasant conversation outside while waiting amongst the three of us and a family who came for their interview as well.

At 8am the list came out from the consular section and given to the security guards and we were finally allowed in. After the usual security routine, we were told to remove our documents from our folders and take only those inside for the interview.

Once inside we submitted our documents to the first counter one by one in the sequence we were asked for e.g. school documents, police certificates, medical, work related documents (I wasn't asked for this), bank statement and photographs (BIG PHEW that I took these as I wasn't sure if we had to).

First a lady and her daughter went through and their visa was approved. Then msaki2012 went through and his visa was approved (congratulations bro!) and then I was called up.

Here is my interview experience with a very pleasant young consular officer:

CO - how're you this morning?
Me - fine thank you and yourself?
CO - I'm good thanks.

He then ruffled around some of my documents and got them in order one by one according to a list he had in front of him.

CO - so what is this ACCA thing (after a brief pause he read it properly); oh so you're an accountant.
Me - I would have been an accountant but I dropped out.
CO - why did you drop out?
Me - my father fell sick in my final year so I returned to Tanzania to take over the business.
CO - I understand and I see you went to the International School of Tanganyika which is fine.
CO - so what do you do for work at the moment?
Me - I'm in the printing industry and manage my parents' companies.
CO - oh that's good, how many people do you have working for you?
Me - during off-peak times 40 people and peak times 80 to 100 people.
CO - so there are seasons in printing? What determines a printing season?
Me - it depends on the item required, for example annual reports come out right before the financial year end and calendars come out towards the last quarter of the year but our printing is more NGO and private sector focused now and we also get contracts from USAID.
CO - oh that's very good to know!
CO - so you're divorced? Have you got your marriage and divorce documents with you?
Me - yes they're all there, I gave it to the lady at the first window.
CO - when did you get divorced? (looks at the decree); ah yes 2009, thats completely fine. So you're just applying for yourself correct?
Me - yes only for myself.
CO - so where will you live in America?
Me - in a small village called Macungie outside Allentown, PA.
CO - do you have family there?
Me - yes my aunt lives there.
CO - and what do you plan to do for work in America?
Me - I'm looking at a business venture such as a printshop.
CO - alright that's completely fine.

He then opened up my bank statement and glanced through it.

CO - so how long were you in the UK for?
Me - about five years.
CO - oh that's quite a long time which is why you've brought the UK police certificate.
Me - yes it took quite some effort to get that.
CO - I can't see your Tanzanian police certificate (flipped through the papers); ah here it is, that looks fine.
CO - how many times have you been to America?
Me - several times; my family and I frequently travel to the US and my younger brother just got his Green Card.
CO - that's good to know; when did you last visit?
Me - around mid 2011. I have my old passport if you'd like to have a look.
CO - no don't worry about it. I'll just look it up on the system (carefully goes through each visa I had previously for about 5 minutes).
CO - alright your documents are totally fine and in order and your visa is approved so congratulations. Please come and pick it up on Wednesday next week at 2pm.
Me - thank you very much sir! Don't you want to take my fingerprints?
CO - it shows you've been ten-printed before on the system but lets do it again anyway just for the sake of it (takes my fingerprints subsequently).
CO - that's it, you're all done. See you on Wednesday and good luck.
Me - thank you very much sir!

He didn't bother asking for the I-134 or my work affidavit letter or bank facility letter of financing we have or anything else which was surprising.

I want to thank a few people who have been instrumental with their guidance/help and for being well wishers:

britsimon - we're still on for dinner or drinks if we meet up in the US! Thanks for everything mate!
mutu14 - thank you for your kind wishes and prayers. They were instrumental in my success today.
Princedriss - we're still on for tennis in the US! Thanks for being a true friend!
gabam - if I made it so can you and my prayers are with you. Thank you for all your insight and guidance!
Sm1smom - whatever differences we had (for which I apologise), your guidance was excellent so thank you.
Hjkarki - we only just met but thank you for your kind wishes. I'll do my best to guide you on your journey.
SusieQQQ - what would I have done without you? Thank you for all your encouragement and help!
Roselyna - we too only just met but I must say thank you for your kind wishes yesterday.
engmtolera - you'll make it through don't worry. Me and msaki2012 had no trouble at all.
Vichel - your encouragement and guidance through my anxiety was integral to my success today so thank you!
4turya - thank you for your messages and encouragement! You'll make it don't worry!

If I've forgotten anyone, please forgive me and you have my sincerest gratitude!

I will continue to touch base with you all on the forum as the next phase of this journey begins!

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Bank Statements - 22nd July 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania - SUCCESS!!! SUCCESS!!! SUCCESS!!!
Visa Pick up - August 14th 2013
Departure Date - August 17th 2013 - booked already on Emirates!
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

Momo1980
Congratulations Momo1980 and msaki2012. God always say Yes to people who believe on him.i am very happy to hear a Good news from you,
we do hope that,when our time come yes we can do something,lets wait and pray.
chozi lanidondoka kwa furaha,since i was wearing your shoes my brother

Momo, are u allowed to bring your cell phone on the interview ? how pictures you have to bring ?

No electronics allowed to be taken in - I understand this is blanket policy across all US embassies/consulates worldwide. Check with your local if they have locker/elsewhere to store while you are inside.

No electronics allowed to be taken in - I understand this is blanket policy across all US embassies/consulates worldwide. Check with your local if they have locker/elsewhere to store while you are inside.

that means if i bring my cellphone, where should i put it ?

that means if i bring my cellphone, where should i put it ?

That's what I said - check with your local embassy/consulate where you are having the interview, if they have lockers or some other form of storage available for cellphones etc. We had to leave our bags, cellphones etc at security and could only take in documents and wallets (to pay the fees!!)

Well the day finally came...

:) Well, I said my piece and I've since moved on. Congratulations on your successful interview and good luck with your move and your new life. Cheers!

Momo I'm on holiday, but had to log on to check in about your day - and I am glad to read it went as we knew it would! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey. Nothing can stop you now...