Interview Experienced (not sure what to make of it)

astrochimp

Registered Users (C)
I had my interview yesterday and Im not sure what to make of it.

A DECISION CANNOT YET BE MADE ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION.

The IO was very very nice and respectful. We begun doing the YES or NO questions on the n 400 form. On the PART 1 LETTER C question IF YOU HAVE USED ANY OTHER NAMES, PROVIDE THEM BELOW. From what I understand, that question were asking if you changed your name legally before and USED it, so left them blank knowing it didnt apply in my case. And after I answered NO to that question IO said that didnt you USE a different NAME when you were arrested by ICE? (When I was undocumented before Ive used a fake ID but admitted it was fake when I was arrested by ICE) I just then answered YES and she added that to my application then we proceed to the next question...

Then on PART 10 D. GOOD MORAL CHARACTER. QUESTION 23. Have you ever given false or misleading information to any U.S. government official while applying for any immigration benefit or to prevent deportation, exclusion, or removal?

One of the explanations I found online way before I started filling my application was at http://www.kcls.org/esl/N-400 Definitions.pdf

This is what their explanation on question 23:

Have you ever lied to or hidden information from a U.S. immigration officer or
police officer when you filed papers to immigrate or when you filed papers to be
able to stay in the U.S.?

I said NO to that question on the application since I have never filed ANY papers to immigrate or filed papers to be able to stay in the US. But when she asked me that question Ive asked her SHOULD I ANSWER YES TO THAT QUESTION SINCE I HAVE GIVEN A FAKE ID TO AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER? She said YES you have to. Without hesitation I said OK (but on the back of my head I wonder why my lawyer didnt tell me that?) and she changed my answer to YES.

Then she reviewed my application again and said everything looks OK in your application. And then she gave me that "I could not make a decision right and your application needs to be reviewed again". I said to myself that is it its over. But at the very end she made a remarkable comments. She said that I DONT SEE ANY REASONS WHY YOUR APPLICATION BE DENIED. And she cracked a smile. And said another comment. She said IF YOU RECEIVE YOUR OATH LETTER MAKE SURE TO BE THERE ON TIME AND BRING ALL DOCUMENTS THAT WERE ASKED.

Not really sure what to think of my experienced if it was pleasant. Anyway, thanks to this forum and to the knowledgeable folks out here. This sure is a another crazy year for me.

To me it sounds positive. I just think she probably wants to double check the story and then you will get your letter.:)

she could have denied you on the spot

Actually, no. A denial of an N-400 is always done in writing and never "on the spot", because a denial notice has to use rather precise and careful legal language, including citing specific provisions of INA or 8CFR under which the application is being denied. Plus, as far as I understand, a denial notice is always reviewed by a supervisor before being mailed to the applicant.

I had my interview yesterday and Im not sure what to make of it.

A DECISION CANNOT YET BE MADE ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION.

The IO was very very nice and respectful. We begun doing the YES or NO questions on the n 400 form. On the PART 1 LETTER C question IF YOU HAVE USED ANY OTHER NAMES, PROVIDE THEM BELOW. From what I understand, that question were asking if you changed your name legally before and USED it, so left them blank knowing it didnt apply in my case. And after I answered NO to that question IO said that didnt you USE a different NAME when you were arrested by ICE? (When I was undocumented before Ive used a fake ID but admitted it was fake when I was arrested by ICE) I just then answered YES and she added that to my application then we proceed to the next question...

Then on PART 10 D. GOOD MORAL CHARACTER. QUESTION 23. Have you ever given false or misleading information to any U.S. government official while applying for any immigration benefit or to prevent deportation, exclusion, or removal?

One of the explanations I found online way before I started filling my application was at http://www.kcls.org/esl/N-400 Definitions.pdf

This is what their explanation on question 23:

Have you ever lied to or hidden information from a U.S. immigration officer or
police officer when you filed papers to immigrate or when you filed papers to be
able to stay in the U.S.?

I said NO to that question on the application since I have never filed ANY papers to immigrate or filed papers to be able to stay in the US. But when she asked me that question Ive asked her SHOULD I ANSWER YES TO THAT QUESTION SINCE I HAVE GIVEN A FAKE ID TO AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER? She said YES you have to. Without hesitation I said OK (but on the back of my head I wonder why my lawyer didnt tell me that?) and she changed my answer to YES.

Then she reviewed my application again and said everything looks OK in your application. And then she gave me that "I could not make a decision right and your application needs to be reviewed again". I said to myself that is it its over. But at the very end she made a remarkable comments. She said that I DONT SEE ANY REASONS WHY YOUR APPLICATION BE DENIED. And she cracked a smile. And said another comment. She said IF YOU RECEIVE YOUR OATH LETTER MAKE SURE TO BE THERE ON TIME AND BRING ALL DOCUMENTS THAT WERE ASKED.

Not really sure what to think of my experienced if it was pleasant. Anyway, thanks to this forum and to the knowledgeable folks out here. This sure is a another crazy year for me.

How exactly and when did you receive a green card? Was it through adjustment of status or consular processing? If the former, did you use 245(i)? Was the immigration petition based on marriage to a U.S. citizen? How did you originally entered the U.S., legally or illegally?
At the time of the GC application did you disclose that ICE arrest?

What did you answer for Q16 in part 10D of N-400 ("Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained..")?

How exactly and when did you receive a green card? Was it through adjustment of status or consular processing? If the former, did you use 245(i)? Was the immigration petition based on marriage to a U.S. citizen? How did you originally entered the U.S., legally or illegally?

What did you answer for Q16 in part 10D of N-400 ("Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained..")?

1. I received my GC on July of 2007

2. Through adjustment of status

3. Family based petition

4. I entered legally. I had tourist visa.

5. I was arrested and sent to jail. They then put me in a removal procedings and had to appear

1. I received my GC on July of 2007

2. Through adjustment of status

3. Family based petition

4. I entered legally. I had tourist visa.

5. I was arrested and sent to jail. They then put me in a removal proceedings and had to appear on a hearing before the immigration judge. But before the hearing occured my petition became current. I then applied for adjustment of status and was approved and was given my GC. Judge terminated the case.

I answered answered YES to Q16. I disclosed everything that needs to disclose as also suggested by the lawyer. Really no reason NOT to do it or hide things since they already know what happened to me.

Scroll up. Sorry I sent my message too early using phone is not easy.

I see. Most likely you'll be OK since everything that needed to be disclosed was disclosed during your adjustment of status process and you did not conceal any material information then.

Still, with a complicated case like yours, where a deportation proceedings was involved, it would have been better if you had consulted an immigration lawyer before filing N-400 and then showed that lawyer your filled-out N-400 before mailing it. In theory they might decide to make some hay out of your answers to Q1C and Q23 in the original N-400, but since you have corrected those answers during the interview, you'll probably be OK.

A case like this will certainly require a supervisor review, so it is not surprising that you got "decision cannot yet be made" marked in N-652.

On the PART 1 LETTER C question IF YOU HAVE USED ANY OTHER NAMES, PROVIDE THEM BELOW. From what I understand, that question were asking if you changed your name legally before and USED it, so left them blank knowing it didnt apply in my case.

The "other names used" is not just about legal names, it is about any other name you ever used for almost anything that might have an official paper trail (e.g. passport, school, visa, employment, arrest, bank account, driver's license, state ID).

I see. Most likely you'll be OK since everything that needed to be disclosed was disclosed during your adjustment of status process and you did not conceal any material information then.

Still, with a complicated case like yours, where a deportation proceedings was involved, it would have been better if you had consulted an immigration lawyer before filing N-400 and then showed that lawyer your filled-out N-400 before mailing it. In theory they might decide to make some hay out of your answers to Q1C and Q23 in the original N-400, but since you have corrected those answers during the interview, you'll probably be OK.

A case like this will certainly require a supervisor review, so it is not surprising that you got "decision cannot yet be made" marked in N-652.

I have consulted a lawyer as I stated in my original post. He did not make any changes to my n 400. That is why it was a big shocked when the IO changed TWO things on my application.

But really the interview was really really fast just the usual YES or NO questions and the TWO changes made by the IO. And she let me go and said those TWO remarkable comments. I hope its an oath letter not a denial letter I will receive. Thanks.

The "other names used" is not just about legal names, it is about any other name you ever used for almost anything that might have an official paper trail (e.g. passport, school, visa, employment, arrest, bank account, driver's license, state ID).

But that was a fake ID I bought for $20 bucks as fas as I can remember. It never was used for anything but to go a pub. Does it still falls for that category?

But that was a fake ID I bought for $20 bucks as fas as I can remember. It never was used for anything but to go a pub. Does it still falls for that category?

If you didn't immediately tell the officer that the name on the ID is NOT your real name, they may have written up the arrest report with the fake name and left a paper trail with that fake name, so yes that would classify as one of your "other names used."

Note that admitting it's a fake ID is not the same as admitting it's not your name on the ID. Many people get fake IDs made with their own real name on it. For it to be NOT seen as you using that name, you would have to admit it's fake AND also tell them it's not your name.

If you didn't immediately tell the officer that the name on the ID is NOT your real name, they may have written up the arrest report with the fake name and left a paper trail with that fake name, so yes that would classify as one of your "other names used."

Note that admitting it's a fake ID is not the same as admitting it's not your name on the ID. Many people get fake IDs made with their own real name on it. For it to be NOT seen as you using that name, you would have to admit it's fake AND also tell them it's not your name.

Some valid good point. Thanks man!

Hi

I was denied before and my exprience went so smooth and i was told, " you would hear from us in the mail, and marked the congrats, you have passed the test".

DO was Memphis few years back.

7 months later i received a denial letter in Certified mail. I had appealed and won.

So, the interviewer may be cool and ok with your application, but it is not up to her, any application other than straightforward case has to be reviewed by a supervisor. Moreover, any denial has to be signed on by the director of the DO, be certified, and like others mentioned, using a very formal language with specific law provisions in it. It has the introduction, the discussion, and the conclusion.

I am not trying to scare you, but your interview could have either outcome.

Hi

I was denied before and my exprience went so smooth and i was told, " you would hear from us in the mail, and marked the congrats, you have passed the test".

DO was Memphis few years back.

7 months later i received a denial letter in Certified mail. I had appealed and won.

So, the interviewer may be cool and ok with your application, but it is not up to her, any application other than straightforward case has to be reviewed by a supervisor. Moreover, any denial has to be signed on by the director of the DO, be certified, and like others mentioned, using a very formal language with specific law provisions in it. It has the introduction, the discussion, and the conclusion.

I am not trying to scare you, but your interview could have either outcome.

What was the reason your application denied? Do you mind sharing? Did you hire an immigration attorney when you appeal for your case? How did everything go from the time you appeal? Thanks a lot.

I have not set my mind to anything so it wont be a big slap on the face when I receive a denial letter. Hopefully NOT a denial letter though.

Is travelling OK while you wait for the letter?

What was the reason your application denied? Do you mind sharing? Did you hire an immigration attorney when you appeal for your case? How did everything go from the time you appeal? Thanks a lot.

I have not set my mind to anything so it wont be a big slap on the face when I receive a denial letter. Hopefully NOT a denial letter though.

Is travelling OK while you wait for the letter?

they claimed that i answered the question, " have you ever lied to immig. officers to obtain benefits" i marked "no" on the app, but they said since the F1 visa was for school, then i must have lied. that was back in 2005. Yes i hired a lawyer and won, because their claim was nonsensical.

they claimed that i answered the question, " have you ever lied to immig. officers to obtain benefits" i marked "no" on the app, but they said since the F1 visa was for school, then i must have lied. that was back in 2005.

Could you explain more clearly? What exactly was it about F-1?
Did you have an F-1 visa at some point? Or just applied for an F-1 visa but did not get it?

What exactly happen with your F-1 visa/application/whatever?

And in which way did they say that it meant that you lied to immigration officials?

Last edited by a moderator:
they claimed that i answered the question, " have you ever lied to immig. officers to obtain benefits" i marked "no" on the app, but they said since the F1 visa was for school, then i must have lied. that was back in 2005. Yes i hired a lawyer and won, because their claim was nonsensical.

Wow! pretty similar to what happened to me.

I was asked that question 23. Have you ever given false information... also. But before I answer, I asked the IO if I should answer YES (though in my n 400 I answered NO) since I gave a false identification to ICE officer. She said YES and I said ok then she changed my answer to YES.

I really have no reason to LIE or HIDE about it cause I know they already know everything that was happened to me. They know about it before they put me in a removal proceedings. They know about it before the judge terminated the case and before I was given a GC. I just didnt have a full understanding of that question.

So if ever I get a denial letter cause of it Ill probably appeal my case too and hire that lawyer I have consulted with, before I sent out my n 400, and told me that I did alright in my application.

Wow! pretty similar to what happened to me.

I was asked that question 23. Have you ever given false information... also. But before I answer, I asked the IO if I should answer YES (though in my n 400 I answered NO) since I gave a false identification to ICE officer. She said YES and I said ok then she changed my answer to YES.

I really have no reason to LIE or HIDE about it cause I know they already know everything that was happened to me. They know about it before they put me in a removal proceedings. They know about it before the judge terminated the case and before I was given a GC. I just didnt have a full understanding of that question.

So if ever I get a denial letter cause of it Ill probably appeal my case too and hire that lawyer I have consulted with, before I sent out my n 400, and told me that I did alright in my application.[/QUOTE
If , God forbids, you get a denial, i don't recommend you hire the same lawyer, who should have told you better from the first place....