Interview experience at SFO – DO and some good to know points.

CaliGC

Registered Users (C)
Had a successful N400 interview at SFO-DO and wanted to let users know couple of points.

1. Always carry your Driver’s License or state issued ID for the interview… right from entering the building to Immigration interview the ID was being requested. My wife has an habit of not carrying her purse when I’m around … I had to specially remind her to carry it for her interview.

2. Immigration officer insisted I sign the application in the same way I had when submitting the finger prints. Not the full name format which I had signed in the application when I submitted it.

3. My name had one extra letter in my middle name written in the passport, I had submitted the application without the ‘extra letter’ that I wanted to get rid off… the officer refused the change and insisted it be the same as in passport.

4. My wife wanted to change her last name and has mentioned it in the application. Her immigration officer was requesting MY passport to match the last name… which she did not carry. The officer was good and said that my application (interviewed on a different earlier date) is still in the office and she would look into it and match the last name. Bottom line PLEASE ENSURE YOUR SPOUSE CARRIES YOUR PASSPORT ALSO FOR INTERVIEW.

Overall the interview went fine and was done in less than 15min. If anyone wants more detail please feel free to respond to this posting and I would be glad to publish a book of experiences (just kidding!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, CaliGC!

I had my interview last Monday at SF DO too. I was wondering if the IO gave you the oath letter right after the interview. I read someone's post who had his/her interview yesterday, Aug. 7th who received the oath letter from the IO after he/she was congratulated. My IO told me to wait for it in 1-2 months! Now, I'd like to know if it was just me or there are others too that didn't receive the OL right away.

Thank you!

3. My name had one extra letter in my middle name written in the passport, I had submitted the application without the ‘extra letter’ that I wanted to get rid off… the officer refused the change and insisted it be the same as in passport.

What about the name on your birth certificate? Does it also have the extra letter? They're supposed to look at your birth certificate when there is a name spelling discrepancy, not your passport.

4. My wife wanted to change her last name and has mentioned it in the application. Her immigration officer was requesting MY passport to match the last name… which she did not carry. The officer was good and said that my application (interviewed on a different earlier date) is still in the office and she would look into it and match the last name. Bottom line PLEASE ENSURE YOUR SPOUSE CARRIES YOUR PASSPORT ALSO FOR INTERVIEW.

Did she bring the marriage certificate? For a spousal last name change they should look at the marriage certificate to find the other spouse's last name, not the spouse's passport.

green card anniversary

As I know, your interview or Oath need to meet your green card anniversary. What did show since on your green? And I think you can figure it out. Thanks.

Hello, CaliGC!

I had my interview last Monday at SF DO too. I was wondering if the IO gave you the oath letter right after the interview. I read someone's post who had his/her interview yesterday, Aug. 7th who received the oath letter from the IO after he/she was congratulated. My IO told me to wait for it in 1-2 months! Now, I'd like to know if it was just me or there are others too that didn't receive the OL right away.

Thank you!

Hi HoneyBear

My interview was on Aug 2nd and I was NOT given an oath letter... I did not ask the IO because my wife's interview as on Aug 6th and I wanted both of us to have the oath on the same day.

Thanks!

Hi Jackolantern

I'm from India and birth certificates are hand written and it does not have the extra letter. When I had my Drivers license then they had the extra letter in the middle name and hence passport matched the DL and the IO wanted to have it the same in the Citizenship certificate.... When I filed my Greencard I had eliminated the extra letter and it did not cause any problem though.

My wife carried the marriage certificate, however in it my middle name and last name are just initials (not expanded) which is typical in India and IO did not look into it.

Thanks!