Interview and the SS card

jb90304

Registered Users (C)
I have an interview schedule soon for my GC (petitioned by my USC wife) and was wondering about this...
So I have a bit of a complicated issue regarding my SS# and although it has no significant problems, I would prefer not to be bothered much about it during the interview.
I was wondering would the officer ask for the SS card? From your experiences and knowledge, in what extend do they even care and discuss about the SS card? (given that there are no reason to be suspicious of anything wrong)
All of the SS# spots were left blank on all applications by the way, but I believe that is completely normal as most people who apply for GC do not have one anyways, right?

If you are really wondering about why I hesitate about my SS#, which I foresee someone asking... I was brought to US as a young child illegally but now married, but my parents have somehow managed to obtain me an SS#. I don't have a good relationship with my parents so I don't talk to them really, but as far as I know, the SS# itself is completely legitimate but it was made with the basis of an illegitimate visa and it says "valid for work only with INS authorization" on it. I decided not to apply for a brand new SS# with the EAD that I recently received, because I have used my old SS# for everything in my life thus far, such as in all school records and everything else. It worked for me with no problem because like I said, the SS# itself is legitimate. Another reason why I didn't apply a new one with my EAD is because that would technically give me 2 SS#, which I'm not supposed to have, and I wasn't sure what actions the SSA would take if their data showed my old (current) SS# and the new application with the same name, address, etc, etc....... Anyways, that's just the background info, if it helps answer my question, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever use that SSN to work? Does the SS card match your real name? Is it based on your real date of birth? Did you enter the US with a legitimate visa (and then overstayed)? Yes, I see that your parents got the SSN for you based on a fake visa, but that could have happened after you entered with a legitimate visa (because a genuine tourist visa would not have qualified you for an SSN).

Did you ever use that SSN to work? Does the SS card match your real name? Is it based on your real date of birth? Did you enter the US with a legitimate visa (and then overstayed)? Yes, I see that your parents got the SSN for you based on a fake visa, but that could have happened after you entered with a legitimate visa (because a genuine tourist visa would not have qualified you for an SSN).

I've never used it for work (never been employed yet but plan to since I got my EAD recently. The SS card says "valid for work only with INS authorization" so I'll need to present EAD to my employer, right?), the card matches everything about me including name, DOB, etc etc.
Yes, I did enter US with a legitimate visa and overstayed. Not sure which one exactly (can check and have proof of it at home though) but obviously not one that allows the SS# to be made.
Ideally, I really want to continue to use my current SS# because like I said, it was used for everything thus far like school records and etc. I think applying for an another new SS# would just cause problems such has having 2 SS# with same info, although I can't be sure if they could come across and match them while processing the new SS#. I also can't be 100% sure what negative consequences could happen if I continued to use the current one either. This SS# works with no issue, it's only the basis in which it was created.... but I think SSA keep a copy of all documents so I'm in a tough situation. This SS# was made for me as a young child.

You do not need to apply for a new ssn since you already have one- if indeed you used your real name, dob etc to obtain it.
You would need to show your EAD card to your employer in addition to the ss card, like you stated.
Once you have the greencard, you can apply for a new ss card (same number) that would not have the restrictions on it.

Well.... so yeah, that's some info about my situation. And I basically have and have been planning to keep using my current SS#. I figured it would be helpful to provide some background info though.

My main concern is just the interview. I left all the SS# spots blank on all applications, so would they bother asking me about it now? Is this topic even really discussed about given that there are no suspicions? What is your experience/knowledge specifically regarding the SS# in the interview?
Of course, it's up to each officer's wants but it'd be nice to know what other people have gone through and have some idea at all. Right now, I'm clueless about how they handle this at all.

My lawyer told me to bring my card to the interview, but the officer never asked for it. Hopefully others will share their experiences too. I may be wrong, but I think you're unnecessarily worried.

Your parents got it for you when you were a small child, and you didn't use it for unauthorized employment, and it has your real name and DOB, so it's unlikely you'll get in trouble over it.

If the interviewer notices the blanks and asks for it, just give it to them.

well i had the same situation as yours.... i left the SS# blank as you did. At the time of the interview i did brought the SS card and the interviewer did see the SS card but said nothing. He asked me if i had used this SS card for work and i said no after that he said ok. By the way do u have a driver's licence coz he is gonna ask for it.

After the approval i went to the social security administration and in a week they grant me the same SS#. So you will not have to apply for a new number but will have take the work restriction out from that. Best Of luck for the interview

well i had the same situation as yours.... i left the SS# blank as you did. At the time of the interview i did brought the SS card and the interviewer did see the SS card but said nothing. He asked me if i had used this SS card for work and i said no after that he said ok. By the way do u have a driver's licence coz he is gonna ask for it.

After the approval i went to the social security administration and in a week they grant me the same SS#. So you will not have to apply for a new number but will have take the work restriction out from that. Best Of luck for the interview

No, I don't have a driver's license right now but I will almost certainly before the interview date. What did the interviewer say/do after asking for your DL?

I know of a similar case in which the family has wrongfully acquired SSN and DL before getting their EAD (work permit) and during their interview each member of the family were separately asked about how much they paid to wrongfully get the documents and in the pressure of the moment one of the family member just randomly said that he paid $500 and so the interviewing officer took his SSN and denied his I485 application on bases of fraud. However, the individual filed a motion to re-open the case (through an attorney) and a decision to re-open his case was granted after one year, and it has been six months since the case had open and he is still waiting for a decision on his case. he often inquires about the statue of his case to his local USCIS office and all they tell him is that his case is under extended review. He does not really know the prospects of his case and the likely outcome... so if any one has anything to add to this experience or would like to share the outcome to similar case please feel free...

I guess the best choice would be to just present the SS card and the DL to the interviewer if asked, and hope he doesn't question further hah

The reason he asked me for the driver license is coz to make sure that my and my wife address should both match. If they are different that a red flag.
In my situation he just saw the SS card and then the driver license and gave it back to me. If your AOS is a marriage based the only thing they are worried about is this marriage was entered in good faith or you have a criminal background or not.

The reason he asked me for the driver license is coz to make sure that my and my wife address should both match. If they are different that a red flag.
In my situation he just saw the SS card and then the driver license and gave it back to me. If your AOS is a marriage based the only thing they are worried about is this marriage was entered in good faith or you have a criminal background or not.

True (about the purpose of interview being mostly about the marriage being good faith and all), but I don't like the story that "jabwemet" told haha
Anyways, I pretty much get the idea and this thread has helped me quite a bit. I just have one last quick question to ask. If someone were to get the SS card using the EAD, would that card say "valid for work only with INS authorization" as well? I ask this because if it doesn't then it indicates to the interviewer that I got my SS# in ways other than using my EAD

If someone were to get the SS card using the EAD, would that card say "valid for work only with INS authorization" as well? I ask this because if it doesn't then it indicates to the interviewer that I got my SS# in ways other than using my EAD

Yes, SS cards obtained via EAD will have the work restriction wording. The GC or citizenship is required to get it removed.

In recent years the cards show the issue date, so the lack of an issue date on yours will make the interviewer know you didn't get it based on your EAD.

So if they ask how and when you got it, all you can say is that your parents got it for you when you were a small child. If they ask how, just say you were a child back then.

But that level of questioning is unlikely. If they ask about the SSN, just tell them the number and they probably won't insist on seeing the card.

This thread is from a while ago, about a month ago. but I bring it back because I have the interview next week... I don't want to start another thread so here is my question:

If I tell the interviewer that I don't have a SS# & DL, do you see of ANY record they might have of me otherwise?
I mean, SS# wasn't put on any of the immigration applications and it was never submitted to them.

If I tell the interviewer that I don't have a SS# & DL, do you see of ANY record they might have of me otherwise?
Don't lie. The existence of your SSN is very easy to discover. Your SSN probably is in your immigration file somewhere, either as a result of the regular data transfer that occurs between USCIS and the SSA, or from your background checks.

If they ask for the SSN, just give them the number. Yes, they might ask for it even though it's somewhere in your file. They might want to check that the SSN you give them matches what is on file, or would prefer that you give them so they can avoid searching through the 100 pages of your file to find it.

The SSN is based on your identity, and is stuck with you for life, even if it was obtained through shady methods.

can they go after the parents? legally.
as in their status and the way that the SS# was made?

can they go after the parents? legally.
as in their status and the way that the SS# was made?

Yes, they could go after your parents for this.

Your safest bet is to just provide the number if/when asked. They probably won't ask for the card itself. Most likely they'll just write down the SSN you give them, and it won't be an issue for you or them.

If you claim you don't have an SSN, and they find out you actually do, that could trigger an investigation to go after you, and your parents would almost surely get dragged into that.

However, if the SSN you have is a fabricated one that isn't in the SSA database because it was made by somebody on the street who has machinery to print fake SS cards, it would be true to say that you don't have an SSN, and cross-checks with the SSA wouldn't find it.