International Travel between Interview and Oath?

boston6789

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

I just got my interview letter (much faster than expected!), and the interview is scheduled right before I leave the country for a 2 week vacation. My question is: do they take your green card at the interview? If so, how do you enter the country on your return? Do you need to get your passport stamped or something?

Thanks,
boston6789

Hey guys,

I just got my interview letter (much faster than expected!), and the interview is scheduled right before I leave the country for a 2 week vacation. My question is: do they take your green card at the interview? If so, how do you enter the country on your return? Do you need to get your passport stamped or something?

Thanks,
boston6789

They don't keep your GC at interview. They keep it at oath.

Does your district office perform same day Oaths? Because if they do, and you pass the interview, you will take the Oath on the same day and loose your GC. The solution to that is to make an appointment at an actual passport office once you are a citizen, travel to the passport office, and hand in your application with your confirmed travel itinerary. You should get your passport in the same day.

Thanks, kckfs. As far as I know, Boston doesn't do same day oath, so I will not be in that situation. But good to know that there is that option.

boston6789 - I had my interview a month ago and waiting for oath letter. My suggestion is you can finish your interview, they dont take your greencard. If they offer same day oath decline it saying you have to go out of country. By the time you come back your oath letter will most likely be there. You are not a citizen after interview and they cannot take your Greencard. Your GC is taken from you after Oath ceremony.

Oath & Passport

Thanks, kckfs. As far as I know, Boston doesn't do same day oath, so I will not be in that situation. But good to know that there is that option.

I wouldn't deny the oath the very same day. Take the oath if they offer you and get it done and overwith. You can take your confirmed airline itinerary/tkts to the passport office in Boston & get your US passport made that very same day. The address is:

Thomas P. O'Neill Federal Building
10 Causeway Street,
Suite 247
Boston, MA 02222-1094
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., local time, M-F, excluding Federal holidays
Automated Appointment Number: 1-877-487-2778

I agree with AtlantaBrother. Do not turn down the same day Oath if you get a chance. My DO does not do same day Oath's and nearly 10 weeks later I'm still waiting for the Oath letter. Take the Oath and get the expedited passport.