International Driving Permit

Hi guys. I've applied for Asylum. The USCIS received my docs on 07/28/20. I have to wait till the end of December till I can apply for EAD and can get it in Jan 2021 at the very best estimates.
Meanwhile I need to drive my car. I successfully registered it in MA when I was still here on B2 visa.
I have Russian drivers license + International Driving Permit (which says in English that it's issued in correspondence with my national driving license).
I am wondering how long can I drive with IDP in the States.
I am now living in Oregon and I am planning to drive to California in late October.

What are the legal consequences if driving with IDP is not allowed in my case?

Thank you.

Hi guys. I've applied for Asylum. The USCIS received my docs on 07/28/20. I have to wait till the end of December till I can apply for EAD and can get it in Jan 2021 at the very best estimates.
Meanwhile I need to drive my car. I successfully registered it in MA when I was still here on B2 visa.
I have Russian drivers license + International Driving Permit (which says in English that it's issued in correspondence with my national driving license).
I am wondering how long can I drive with IDP in the States.
I am now living in Oregon and I am planning to drive to California in late October.

What are the legal consequences if driving with IDP is not allowed in my case?

Thank you.

1st of all, as per the new rule you will be able to "apply" for EAD 365 days "after" your asylum receipt date . It used be 150 days or 180 days but effective 25th August 2020 new rule is in effect. Even for those who " applied for asylum" before 25th August 2020

Your International Driving Permit should say the validity or expiration date of your license, same is acceptable here. However some states accept even your nationally / locally issued driving license (you need to search on google for which states)

In the meanwhile, go to the your nearest DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and apply for US / State issued driving license. They will ask you for following which you need to arrange (all original to show at DMV and they will make copies and return original back to you)

1. Your russian ID (should be passport and your driving license)

2. Your USCIS receipt i-797c

3. Proof of address in US (This is complicated and you need at least 2 proofs) 1st and foremost can be an account statement for your bank account which bank sends you at your residence. And similarly, a second proof of address which could be utility bill or even insurance statement or anything that you receive at your residence

Once they accept these 2 proofs of address, they will send these papers to USCIS for verification and will ask you to wait 15 days maximum. They will give you a receiving paper which will have an ID number for you. Within 15 days you will receive confirmation that your documents are verified and you can now proceed further

4. The next step is a "Computerized test" at DMV. You have to make an appointment and its really difficult these days due to pandemic

5. Once you pass Computerized test then next step is "Road Skill Test" , For that you need to make another appointment.

6. When you pass the road skill test then they will mail you the driving license at your home

I started my process for driving License in July and i have my Road Skill Test appointment in End of Oct 2020. So you can imagine its really lengthy these days

Hope the information i provided helps

Thanks

Hi, Abhatti!
1st of all, as per the new rule you will be able to "apply" for EAD 365 days "after" your asylum receipt date . It used be 150 days or 180 days but effective 25th August 2020 new rule is in effect. Even for those who " applied for asylum" before 25th August 2020

Thanks
Please read this: just google the-war-over-work-permits on the asylumnist.com If you apply for membership in ASAP organization, you still can get your EAD in 180 days. :)

2. Are you driving on International Driving Permit now? If yes, did you have any problems?

3. What state do you live in?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Hi, Abhatti!

Please read this: just google the-war-over-work-permits on the asylumnist.com If you apply for membership in ASAP organization, you still can get your EAD in 180 days. :)

2. Are you driving on International Driving Permit now? If yes, did you have any problems?

3. What state do you live in?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Well, Thanks for sharing, i didn't know they accept new members (after) they won the case for EAD. Have you become a member? Do they charge any fee ?

I am in Virginia and currently on IDP as well as my national driving license

Well, Thanks for sharing, i didn't know they accept new members (after) they won the case for EAD. Have you become a member? Do they charge any fee ?

I am in Virginia and currently on IDP as well as my national driving license

Thank you!
How do you like Virginia?

Yes, I became a member as soon as I read the post I mentioned in the previous comment. There is a link to apply in that article, actually.
It took one day to get confirmation that I am a member (they send me a text with a like to a card).
I think now they are overwhelmed with applications so it may take longer, check out their website.

Thank you!
How do you like Virginia?

Yes, I became a member as soon as I read the post I mentioned in the previous comment. There is a link to apply in that article, actually.
It took one day to get confirmation that I am a member (they send me a text with a like to a card).
I think now they are overwhelmed with applications so it may take longer, check out their website.

Thank you very much

I just applied myself at their website, lets see when do i get the confirmation and membership, and its a big help to be honest. I will be eligible (to apply) on 19th November 2020 with my 150 days to be able to receive Work Permit.

Thank you very much

I just applied myself at their website, lets see when do i get the confirmation and membership, and its a big help to be honest. I will be eligible (to apply) on 19th November 2020 with my 150 days to be able to receive Work Permit.

keep us posted!

Your International Driving Permit should say the validity or expiration date of your license, same is acceptable here. However some states accept even your nationally / locally issued driving license (you need to search on google for which states)

In the meanwhile, go to the your nearest DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and apply for US / State issued driving license. They will ask you for following which you need to arrange (all original to show at DMV and they will make copies and return original back to you)

1. Your russian ID (should be passport and your driving license)

2. Your USCIS receipt i-797c

3. Proof of address in US (This is complicated and you need at least 2 proofs) 1st and foremost can be an account statement for your bank account which bank sends you at your residence. And similarly, a second proof of address which could be utility bill or even insurance statement or anything that you receive at your residence

Once they accept these 2 proofs of address, they will send these papers to USCIS for verification and will ask you to wait 15 days maximum. They will give you a receiving paper which will have an ID number for you. Within 15 days you will receive confirmation that your documents are verified and you can now proceed further

4. The next step is a "Computerized test" at DMV. You have to make an appointment and its really difficult these days due to pandemic

5. Once you pass Computerized test then next step is "Road Skill Test" , For that you need to make another appointment.

6. When you pass the road skill test then they will mail you the driving license at your home

I started my process for driving License in July and i have my Road Skill Test appointment in End of Oct 2020. So you can imagine its really lengthy these days

Hope the information i provided helps

Thanks
Did you finally get your drivers license?

Did you get your Employment authorization?

Not yet, as of this moment

Application was "accepted" and I got receipt notice as well that it is being processed

Today 30 days are completed since application was received, but nothing so far on my USCIS website for approval

I am assuming it's weekend , so it could update on Monday

Not yet, as of this moment

Application was "accepted" and I got receipt notice as well that it is being processed

Today 30 days are completed since application was received, but nothing so far on my USCIS website for approval

I am assuming it's weekend , so it could update on Monday
Fingers crossed. Keep me updated, please. I will send an application on 25 December .

Hi, Abhatti!
Did you file your i-765 to:

any updates on your EAD?

Correct,

Don't forget to add Form G-1145 on top on your i765 package, it will help you get sms or email or both notifications from USCIS regarding acceptance of your case

The last update was and under

" When you send your package to USCIS, there will be a date when they "receive" it in their mailbox. Usually we get confused that our 30 days period starts when USCIS receives our package. (Thats wrong)

I was having this assumption and on December 19th, i thought my 30 days are done and i should be getting an approval message from USCIS. It didnt happen so i approached USCIS and they told me that i should consider starting my 30 days when USCIS "accepts" my applications. This is different from receiving

In my case they accepted my case 9 days after receiving my package .

Therefore, i will wait and see on December 29th when my 30 days according to "acceptance" are finished

Correct,

Don't forget to add Form G-1145 on top on your i765 package, it will help you get sms or email or both notifications from USCIS regarding acceptance of your case

The last update was and under

" When you send your package to USCIS, there will be a date when they "receive" it in their mailbox. Usually we get confused that our 30 days period starts when USCIS receives our package. (Thats wrong)

I was having this assumption and on December 19th, i thought my 30 days are done and i should be getting an approval message from USCIS. It didnt happen so i approached USCIS and they told me that i should consider starting my 30 days when USCIS "accepts" my applications. This is different from receiving

In my case they accepted my case 9 days after receiving my package .

Therefore, i will wait and see on December 29th when my 30 days according to "acceptance" are finished
Great, thanks. I see.

Which instructions did you follow when you prepared your i765 package?

I'm planning to send:

• G-1145
  • I-765
  • My ASAP card
  • passport copy
  • i-94 copy
  • i-797 + i-797c copies
  • two passport style photos
  • copy of info from USCIS website regarding special rules for EAD for members of Casa de Maryland and ASAP.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/filing-...or-form-i-765-for-informational-purposes-only
here if you expand the "Pending Applicant For Asylum And Withholding Of Deportation And Removal (c)(8)" section you'll find that they note "Proof of arrests and convictions (if applicable)". Do I really need to attach the proof that my arrest back in my home country, the one my asylum case is based on?

Also a quick question: should we count 30 business days since the date I receive G-1145 notification?

Would appreciate your help!
Wish you to receive your card on December 29th as a New Years present.

Well, I sent my application to USCIS in exact order as under and successfully got the receipt
  • Form G-1145
  • Cover Letter
  • Form i-765
  • 2 Passport Photos (in separate small envelope) write your alien number on back of photos / attach envelope with paper clip on form i765
  • ASAP Membership Card Print out
  • i-797 USCIS receipt notice against filing for i-589
  • i-797 USCIS ASC Appointment Notice (Biometric)
  • Copy of Passport
  • Copy of US VISA
  • Copy of i94

I followed the cover letter format from here

https://asylumadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020-Sample-EAD-Cover-Letter-ASAP-member.pdf

A sample filled i765 form is as under / you should follow it exactly and carefully , specially "not to leave blank spaces"

https://asylumadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/2020-Redacted-Pro-Se-I-765-Application.pdf

As for the proof of arrest, I don't think so its relevant here for EAD

And yes, the 30 day count starts when you receive TXT or Email from USCIS that your application is "accepted". Don't confuse 30 days with when they "receive" your application.

After 30 days they "should confirm that EAD application is "approved" , this means another few days till we receive the EAD card through mail