Interim EAD????

Barbara Feldman

Hi, I need a help, please!

I filed an appl. I-765 with an INS Service Center.
The 90 days are done. I called them, they told me that there is still no decision, because it takes more than 90 days in some cases and I have to call them back "couple weeks later" - I asked them how I can survive for another couple of weeks since August 2000????(it seems my case is included in the "some").

[3 mos ago I filed my I-485 at the local office (because the Service Center gave me that instructions that
I-765 - with Service Center (category: c 14)
I-485 - with the local office).]

So, I heard there is an interim EAD after 90 days if there is no decision. Today I went to the local office. Asked them (information) about the interim EAD. Nobody heard about it.
The female INS-officer sitting at the first window went into another room and asked the supervisor about it. He (sv.) told her that it is okay, so accepted my second application (I showed a proof that I filed it at the beginning of March).
I was sent to another window.

The second INS-officer asked me if I have a fingerprint. I told yes. She asked from me to show the receipt.
I showed the receipt( was given when I filed the I-485 with them). She became angry with me that " I misled them, because I did not tell at the first window, that I had already filed the I-485 with them. Nobody asked me about it!!!). She was also querreling with me, because I had asked under category c 14 (The Service Center had given me these instructions!!!). When I should have filed under c9.

Some minutes later they told me that I can file for interim EAD right now but I won\'t get final EAD from the Service Center.
The interim will be valid for 90 days... I asked them why because it is shown on the I-765 that the interim EAD is valid for 240 days.
And if I want a final EAD from them I should file again I-765 with the local office.

She also told me that I have two choices:
1. to file for the interim EAD right now and there is no way to get a final EAD from the Service Center OR
2. I may not file for the interim EAD but I should wait for the final EAD from the Service Center.

It seems-unfortunately, I filed for interim EAD today:-(
I am afraid that they will give me an appointment 3 months later:-(((
(at the very same moment some people got their EAD!!!)

So, my questions are the following:

1. Why will not I get final EAD from the Service Center after the interim EAD from the local office???
2. How can I get final EAD? And from which INS-office/center???
3. Why she told me that I cannot have final EAD from the Service Center only from them???

[in the meantime I have an appointment in removal proc. at the court... because of my divorce]

Sorry for the long letter.

Thanks,

Work Status

If the person files his I-485 and EAD with VSC on Aug 6, 2001 and his current H-1 expires on Aug 21, 2001, is the person legal to work till the time he gets his EAD Approval?