INS work style - life irony

No Title

It was not surprising to me at all that this happened. And I am happy that it happened. Abolish the INS.

No Title

INS works now to make it easy on illegal immigrants and hard on legal. I hope that now it will change, but afraid that now it will be hard on illegal and even harder on legal

No Title

Give them some credit. They might force us to prove, that situation in our countries did not improve or anything else like that. It will be getting asylum all over again

No Title

The law requires the government to prove that the situation has changed, not the other way around.

House Panel Agrees On Plan to Split INS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64808-2002Mar21.html

By Dana Milbank and Cheryl Thompson
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, March 22, 2002; Page A08

Lawmakers on the House Judiciary Committee reached a bipartisan agreement yesterday on a proposal to split the Immigration and Naturalization Service in two, a bid by Congress to assert its role in overhauling the agency.

The Bush administration had proposed a similar change to the INS that it sought to accomplish without congressional action. The proposal announced yesterday by Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.) and Rep. John Conyers Jr. (Mich.), the committee\'s ranking Democrat, would create a clearer split between the INS\'s enforcement and administrative functions by giving the two separate budgets.

The House negotiators reached the compromise after the embarrassing disclosure last week that the INS had approved visas for two of the Sept. 11 hijackers six months after the terrorist attacks.

The agreement would keep the two INS divisions within the Justice Department and create the position of associate attorney general for immigration affairs, who would be the department\'s third-ranking official. The proposal also calls for the creation of a "children\'s office" to deal with immigration problems involving minors.

The proposal, because it is a bipartisan compromise, has a strong chance of passing in the House, congressional aides said. But it will have to vie with an alternative that will be introduced in the Senate by Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), who is looking for GOP sponsors. The Kennedy measure, which is closer to the administration\'s proposal, would give more power to the Justice Department official overseeing the two INS divisions.

"In reforming the agency, we need to maintain strong overall leadership to ensure uniformity, efficiency and decisive action in a crisis," Kennedy said. "Now is not the time to diminish the power of the person running the nation\'s immigration agency."

Conyers acknowledged that much negotiation remains. "This legislation is an important first step in tearing down the INS and replacing it with an agency that works," he said. Sensenbrenner said the plan would allow lawmakers to work "in concert with the Bush administration" to split the INS.

The agreement, scheduled for a Judiciary Committee hearing and vote on April 9 and 10, was also negotiated by Reps. George W. Gekas (R-Pa.), chairman of the immigration subcommittee, and Sheila Jackson Lee (Tex.), the subcommittee\'s ranking Democrat. The legislation is unrelated to an administration proposal, presented to Bush by Cabinet members this week, to merge the INS with the Customs Service.

Angela Kelley, deputy director of the National Immigration Forum, an immigration rights group, said the bipartisan bill is headed in the right direction. "There\'s no doubt that\'s a potent alliance when Conyers and Sensenbrenner come together to work on restructuring the INS," she said.

Larry Gonzalez, Washington director of the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials, said he is "cautiously optimistic" about the plan. Gonzalez said he is waiting to see what restructuring plan the Senate might introduce before his group takes a position. "In the end, I think we might see a little bit of this and a little bit of that," he said.

will the reform of INS help us?

I hope the INS reform itself will not slow down our 485 processing any more, though I doubt INS will have a good excuse to slow down everything...I wish I worry too much...
Tim: do you know how could we help AILF to sue INS. I think that\'s the only chance to speed up the process.
United, Asylees!

No Title

It\'s not up to the INS to decide if the conditions in a country has imporved. State Department determines that. And for a lot of political reasons the State Department does not easily declare a country safe. Look at Afghanistan for example. All my Afghan asylee friends still have their asylee status.

No Title

INS screw up is pretty obvious. They recently mailed visa approval letters for the 9/11 hijackers to their flight school. I don\'t think the Congress need any better prove than that.

No Title

Someone told me that half of the requests for help congressmen get from people are about immigration.

No Title

Don\'t expect to see any immediate results even if these so called "reforms" take place. The real bottle-neck in the asylee I485 processing is the annual quota that has not changed accordingly with the ever increasing number of asylees in the US.
 I give some credit to the AILF for atleast taking some action. But we are not going to see any immediate results from this law suit.
  Yes, there are things we can do. Write to your Congressmen, Senator, Senate Sub Committee on Immigration and let them know you as an asylee is going through economic and social hardships because of the quota system on asylee I485 approvals.
  I hate to point out the bitter truth of the situation. But the way things are going you will get your GC in 5-6 yrs from the day you filed your I-485 whereas all those law suites and legislative actions will take longer than 5-6 yrs to deliver the results.

No Title

Yeah, too bad all those people can\'t vote (no pun intended), atleast not yet. We have seen in the past that some of these Congressmen/women tried to introduce Bills, but they were all ignored or put aside.