Infopass- expect the unexpected

shiva77

Registered Users (C)
Today I went to USCIS local office using info pass.
To my surprise we know more than the officer.
Here is the excerpt of the interview:
Q: Can I travel abroad even without filing for an AP ?
IO: Do you have Social security card ?
(I didn’t understand the relationship between AP and SS card)
Q: Of course I have it. My question is they are saying that
I don’t have to have AP to travel abroad.(Actually I wanted to ask that
What if they reinstate the requirement of AP while we are in abroad)
IO : I don’t know about that They don’t tell us.
(He didn’t know that we can travel with 485 receipt notice.)
Q: Can I change the job type during the processing of I-485 if I have
EAD before 180 days are completed.
Q: Yes, you can if it is a specialty occupation.
I was shocked. I got up.
Actually I wanted to ask more complex questions but I understood that I went to a wrong place. I thanked the officer and quit from there.
My advice is folks, don’t expect much from infopass.

Today I went to USCIS local office using info pass.
To my surprise we know more than the officer.
Here is the excerpt of the interview:
Q: Can I travel abroad even without filing for an AP ?
IO: Do you have Social security card ?
(I didn’t understand the relationship between AP and SS card)
Q: Of course I have it. My question is they are saying that
I don’t have to have AP to travel abroad.(Actually I wanted to ask that
What if they reinstate the requirement of AP while we are in abroad)
IO : I don’t know about that They don’t tell us.
(He didn’t know that we can travel with 485 receipt notice.)
Q: Can I change the job type during the processing of I-485 if I have
EAD before 180 days are completed.
Q: Yes, you can if it is a specialty occupation.
I was shocked. I got up.
Actually I wanted to ask more complex questions but I understood that I went to a wrong place. I thanked the officer and quit from there.
My advice is folks, don’t expect much from infopass.

That's hilarious. I am not sure what he meant by specialty ocupation but I wanted to ask you if one can go to anoter IO in the same day if you don't like the answers from the first one?

He was nervous while he was answering as even he knew that he was not so sure that he was giving the right answers.I don't know if we can see another IO but at that time at other counters there was no IO and so I didn't think about it.

Well the IO seemed to give generic/random answers but your questions itself are so unclear. With all respect, apparenlty you too need to do some reading !

Your first question is so unclear. Whether you travel abroad with or without any document is irrelevant. What is of relevance is when you re-enter the US. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that you could re-enter only on the basis of I-485 receipt ! Infact the need for carrying a I-485 receipt is now removed.

You can only re-enter either on your H stamped visa or your AP.

Secondly, if you change the job type within the same company and if USCIS asks for a employment verification RFE it may be an issue considering your work is different than that on the LC.

If you change the company with the same or different job description before 180 from I-485 RD, I am sure you know you are not protected by AC21.

He was nervous while he was answering as even he knew that he was not so sure that he was giving the right answers.I don't know if we can see another IO but at that time at other counters there was no IO and so I didn't think about it.

As I already mentioned my post was just an excerpt.
I didn't say where we started and where we ended.
IO knows that I applied for AOS under EB-3.
He knows the total story.
The question is what kind of link he was trying to find between
AP and SS card ?
I wanted to know if the job into which I want to shift after 180 days of filed I-485 and using EAD is a similar one to what I am already doing. But I wanted to ask as in a sequence.Since I received the wrong answer for the basic question I dropped off asking the specific question.
Thank you for reading my post anyway.

true...IO's can turn out to be a bunch of jokers :)

Why not try your attorney or get a reputed paid one to answer any pressing issues. All the very best!

With all due respect to shiva77

Hello Hero shiva77!!!

I had simalar questions. USCIS IO are very knowledgeble. But you should not ask them the legel questions. They are not supposed to answer u r legel questions. They can look and give you some information about your case status which is pending with them.

I think you should research on this forum and this site has all the information which you are looking for.

In perticular you should refer to the thread called EAD and AP , you will find lot of information.

Have fun through the Holidays with reading this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are right.
I just tried as a last option. Even IO could have said to me that they were not supposed to give answers for such questions instead of giving any random wrong answer.
And how CIS expects us to get answers for complex questions ? Do they expect us to spend some more money to approach a lawyer ? It's certainly not fair. I think there must be some way for this kind of problems without having to approach a lawyer. Anyway I got answer to my questions.
Thank you.

yes. U should have an attorney

yes. They don't expect us to hire an attorney instead they think that the GC sponsering company would hire attorney and use them for your immigration needs. Also our situation is different as our Desi consulting companies won't give direct access to our attornies and even if they give. They dont give correct information.