Info about I-539

OttawaSenators

Registered Users (C)
Where can one get info about I-539? Within how many days from the termination day must one file I-539? Does hiring a lawyer help at all?

I-539 is the simplest form from CIS.
You need to file it on your last day ofwork, to switch to B2 (or if married to a TN) TD.
You certainly do not need a lawyer to file this

Thanks nelsona.

I am not getting fired. I am just being cautious and want to know the course of actions I need to take if it hits the fan. People on this board are making assumptions so I need to clarify my own personal situation even though I am also trying to keep it general so others can also use the info provided by nelsona and the rest of the knowledgeable people here.

I have been keeping my eyes open for a new job but unfortunately most of the jobs in my field are contract jobs and the employers only do TN sponsorship (BTW I am currently on H1-B), not to mention GC sponsorship. This is the case even more during bad times.

Now I have a question based on one of the comments made in another thread. What if I file for I-539 and then during or after its approval process, I get married to an American? What should be my course of action then?

Don't keep it general as like you said we make assumptions - so then we give the wrong advice to people - and that helps no one. Be specific.

If you are on H1-B, how many years do you have left? They are transferable if you have not used up all of the time.

If you are on H1-B, how many years do you have left? They are transferable if you have not used up all of the time.

As I said in my previous post, majority of the employers in my field only sponsor for TN because the jobs are contract jobs. They don't even do H-1B, so the number of years left on my H1 does not matter. I already knew if I found an H1 job, I could easily transfer. Thanks for the advice though.

Now I have a question based on one of the comments made in another thread. What if I file for I-539 and then during or after its approval process, I get married to an American? What should be my course of action then?
You still file I-131/I-485 etc and stay in US until EAD and AP approved.

You won't be able to get a new TN job. You will need to wait for EAD and work on that basis.

To cancel a I-539, do I just send a letter/notice to the same address as I send the form? Same if the date I put for my exit from the states is passed (I didn't put 6 months).

Thanks

This is not your thread.

You don't have any status, since you are out of the US. You can only enter on tourist status, obtained at the border. Your I-539 died automatically, and is invalid anyways.

Ottawa is currentlt in the US, so requires continuous status.