Incorrect spouse name in passport - does it affect I-485?

gcfamily

Registered Users (C)
I have this situation where spouse name was incorrectly entered by Indian passport office. Instead of entering father's name, they entered mother's (passport holder) name (self) as spouse in the last pages of passport.Being US citizen,I am planning to apply for GC for my mother. When I went over i-485 instructions, it says the following about passport copy under required documents.

3. Copy of passport page with non-immigrant visa

If you have obtained a non-immigrant visa (s) from a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad within the last year, submit a photocopy (ies) of the page(s) of your passport containing the visa(s).

Now, unless it is really needed to make correction for immigration purposes, I do not want to go through the process of correcting spouse name in the passport .

Did anybody enounter this situation where they had incorrect spouse name for a parent's (mother) passport but I-485 was still approved.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

They don't generally ask for the pages of the passport. But, it is in your best interest to get this corrected if anything does arise. Your local consulate should be able to fix this fairly easily...

Hi Thomas,

I will be still providing first 6 or 10 pages as mentioned in I-485 instructions. Spouse name is indicated only on the inside of hard back cover of the passport along with the names of parents.I believe consulate has a lengthy procedure of obtaining marriage certificate and then applying for passport again. I would like to avoid this process for family reasons.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi gc,

I was not asked for my passport during the interview (nor did the IO look at it). Maybe others can chime in regarding this...

Thanks again Thomas. Your experience partly answers my quetion as far as GC interview is concerned. Did you send copy of passport along with I-485 during filing? If so, did you send all pages of passport or only first few pages where visa (visitor's or other type )was stapmed. In the case of first few pages, spouse name question doesn't arise since it is written on the inside of back cover of passport.

Incorrect spouse name in Indian passport

Can anybody else reply pl...? so far I haven't gotten a resposne wish similar situation as mine.

Thomas,

Your experience partly answers my quetion as far as GC interview is concerned. Did you send copy of passport along with I-485 during filing? If so, did you send all pages of passport or only first few pages where visa (visitor's or other type )was stapmed. In the case of first few pages, spouse name question doesn't arise since it is written on the inside of back cover of passport.

If possible I would like to converse with you about this issue.

Thanks,

I am not sure if this is a real issue. I had a somewhat similar problem in that my Mother's name was spelled wrong in my own passport when I was applying for my I485. I submitted infact all the pages in the passport (even the blank ones), and they didn't bother me with any questions. I personally don't think that USCIS places much emphasis on what's there at the back of a passport, like spouse's or parents names. On the other hand, if your mother is adjusting her status in her home country, the US consular officer may ask for some clarification in some remote case.

If it's easy go ahead and get it corrected, however make sure you get back your Mom's new passport well within any interview (if she has one at all) time frame.

I have this situation where spouse name was incorrectly entered by Indian passport office. Instead of entering father's name, they entered mother's (passport holder) name (self) as spouse in the last pages of passport.Being US citizen,I am planning to apply for GC for my mother. When I went over i-485 instructions, it says the following about passport copy under required documents.

3. Copy of passport page with non-immigrant visa

If you have obtained a non-immigrant visa (s) from a U.S. Embassy or consulate abroad within the last year, submit a photocopy (ies) of the page(s) of your passport containing the visa(s).

Now, unless it is really needed to make correction for immigration purposes, I do not want to go through the process of correcting spouse name in the passport .

Did anybody enounter this situation where they had incorrect spouse name for a parent's (mother) passport but I-485 was still approved.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

Geek,

Thanks for your reply. When I contacted immigration lawyer in Rajiv's office he said that this is not going to be an issue. But when I contacted another lawyer who is known in detroit area, he said that this needs to be corrected since USCIS will/may point to this.I will be filling in correct spouse name (father's name) in mother's I-485 application whereas mother's paspsort has her own name in the place of spouse name. Personally I am inclined to ignore this since I am not willing to to get it corrected for personal family reasons. But I just wanted to get some confirmation from someone who might have experienced this in the case of mother/father.I am planning to process her green card in US when she visits me on her multiple entry visitor's visa. She visited me in US thrice before on the same passport with incorrect spouse name. It is obvious that incorrect spouse name in passport didn't matter for visitor's visa as she was stamped 10 yrs multiple entry visa without any questions in 2002.

I appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

I agree with you. Good luck with your Mom's application.

Geek,

Thanks for your reply. When I contacted immigration lawyer in Rajiv's office he said that this is not going to be an issue. But when I contacted another lawyer who is known in detroit area, he said that this needs to be corrected since USCIS will/may point to this.I will be filling in correct spouse name (father's name) in mother's I-485 application whereas mother's paspsort has her own name in the place of spouse name. Personally I am inclined to ignore this since I am not willing to to get it corrected for personal family reasons. But I just wanted to get some confirmation from someone who might have experienced this in the case of mother/father.I am planning to process her green card in US when she visits me on her multiple entry visitor's visa. She visited me in US thrice before on the same passport with incorrect spouse name. It is obvious that incorrect spouse name in passport didn't matter for visitor's visa as she was stamped 10 yrs multiple entry visa without any questions in 2002.

I appreciate your reply.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please help - this is an urgent case and I am flying in a week.

My spouse name on my passport is : (e.g) Anthony Gonsalves.
My Spouse's actual legal name (as on his passport) is: Anthony Martin Angelo Gonsaves.

I am also going to India to file for my H4 and his H1B stamping. Would it be a problem since the names are different? Should I go to the Indian
Embassy in NYC and get the correction made? Our marriage certificate has his legal name. It was my mistake. What do I need to do to rectify
this at the earliest? Please help (URGENT!!!!!)

Thanks
Newyork2010.

Correction:
Spouse name on my passport is : Anthony Gonsalves
Spouse's actual legal name is: Anthony Martin Angelo Gonsalves - Anthony Angelo Gonsalves is FN and Gonsalves is LN. Please help.!!!!! Its urgent. Any guidance on this is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Newyork2010.

Correction:
Spouse name on my passport is : Anthony Gonsalves
Spouse's actual legal name is: Anthony Martin Angelo Gonsalves - Anthony Angelo Gonsalves is FN and Gonsalves is LN. Please help.!!!!! Its urgent. Any guidance on this is much appreciated.

That will be no problem whatsoever. They will see Martin and Angelo as his middle names, and middle names being omitted from a legal document is rarely a problem, especially when it is not a primary document of the individual (it is YOUR passport which has his middle names missing, not his).

Note that you could have simply used the EDIT button instead of creating another post to correct yourself.

Thanks Jackolatern. This really helps! I will post my experience soon after stamping for everyone's benefit.

Thanks for the EDIT info. I am new here so figuring things out! Much appreciate the help.