1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In case of unauthorized work off campus on SSN on F1

Discussion in 'General F Visa and Related Issues' started by shiningstar786, Dec 18, 2013.

  1. shiningstar786

    shiningstar786 New Member


    I did some unauthorized work off campus for 10 hours a week on my SSN for about three months. I was not aware that I need CPT for part time work as well. Should I file tax returns? What are the consequences? Is there a fine I can pay to adjust status?

  2. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    Everyone who has income in the U.S. is required to file taxes (unless it's below a certain threshold, around $9500). The IRS doesn't care where it comes from, so long as you report it and pay taxes on it if needed. That you've filed taxes when required is important if you apply for immigration benefits in the future.

    You probably won't see any consequences in the short term. Just don't do it again. However, you may need to disclose it on future immigration applications, which may be a problem.

    What do you mean "adjust status"? You are not adjusting status here. Adjustment of status means applying for a green card.
  3. shiningstar786

    shiningstar786 New Member


    I mean I am now applying for OPT and H1B and it specifically asks "have you done unauthorized work". What do I reply?

Share This Page