Importance/Relevance of Priority date?

Ewed Alehu

Registered Users (C)
Can any one explain to me the importance or relevance(if any)of so called "Priority Date" on a document issued by INS? What does that mean for a person granted political asylum or in the process of being granted political asylum?

Ewedalehu

No Title

The priority day has no meaning for prospective asylees at your stage of the process. Do not worry about it.

No Title

Hi Ewed
Could you tell us when did you apply your I-485. I mean which month and which Year?
Wish you good Luck.

No Title

Thanks, Gilbert
I just got curious when I received my finger print request notice from the INS office in relation to a final approval process for asylum, which has already been recommended by my interviewing officer, and wondered if that was going to be my Priority Date for future Green Card processing purposes.

Ewedalehu

No Title

Ewed,

As you must know by reading previous messages posted to this forum, there is a huge backlog of asylees waiting to adjust status.

The date the INS receives your adjustment application (Form I-485) will be priority date for green card purposes. As you know, you must be in asylum status for one year before applying. The one-year period will not start until the date you are granted final asylum by the INS.

No Title

Hi Ma2,
I\'m not yet at the stage where I can apply for adjustment of status(I-485). I\'m only in the process of finger print for a final approval for asylum.

Ewedalehu

No Title

Gilbert,

Thanks again for your input. Yes, you are absolutely correct that I\'m a long way from applying for adjustment of status (I-485). Currently, I\'m more concerned about the uncertainty surrounding the length of time INS would keep me waiting before sending me a final letter of approval after the finger print I just provided for a background check. In other words, how much time will it normally take(from any body\'s experience) for the INS to receive the background chcek following which it should send me a final approval for asylum?

Ewedalehu

No Title

Hi Ewed

They took me that fingerprint on 1997 before hearing to Asylem officer. That finger print is very easy and normal process.So dont worry.
Good-luck.