IMP bill for namecheck introduced in HOUSE!

rollingstone

Registered Users (C)
I apologize for the cross post but this is an important development that everyone stuck in namecheck must be aware of.

An important bill was introduced in the house today that forces the FBI to end all namecheck backlogs. This is a very short bill and it has just one provision - to end namecheck backlogs. This is exacly the kind of bill we were looking for.
This is different from the bill that was passed in Senate recently.

The important thing for all of us:
WRITE TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND ASK HIM/HER TO SUPPORT THIS BILL.

Unless you write, this bill is not going to pass - please do so immediately.
You can find out who your representative is and for instructions on how to contact him/her here:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Please post this message in all immigration groups you are member of.

PDF version: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_bills&docid=f:h3828ih.txt.pdf

HR 3828:
(a) In General- Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Attorney General and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall jointly provide to the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security, and Appropriations of the House of Representatives, and the Committees on the Judiciary, Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, and Appropriations of the Senate, a plan for ensuring that, within 18 months of the date of enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program, administered by the Records Management Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), will no longer have any requested name checks from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in backlog status.

(b) Elements of Plan- The plan shall include the following elements:

(1) Necessary improvements to computer systems so that all records may be transmitted, maintained, and checked electronically, and whether it is possible to centralize this information in a single searchable database.

(2) How the FBI will improve communications with USCIS to ensure the maximum efficiency in processing name check requests from that agency.

(3) Security upgrades in transferring information between the FBI and USCIS to ensure the privacy of any individual receiving a name check.

(4) Long-term fixes that will prevent any future backlog, including a risk management analysis of changes that can be made to streamline the process and policies for obtaining FBI name checks in connection with applications and petitions for immigration benefits.

(5) An estimate of the funding required to complete the operation by the required date along with an estimate of any possible fee increases.

(6) A study regarding the best practices in assessing the level of risk presented by applicants. The study will determine whether the current risk assessment process should be modified.

(7) A report of the number of applications and petitions that remain pending at USCIS more than 6 months after the name check results have been returned from the FBI to USCIS.

(c) Effect of Backlog On and After 18 Months of the Date of Enactment of This Act- Beginning 18 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the National Name Check Program is not authorized to have any file in backlog status. After that date, any name check request from USCIS held in the possession of the National Name Check Program for longer than 6 months--

(1) will be referred to the Secretary of Homeland Security, who shall adjudicate interim benefits in connection with the application with which the FBI name check was requested, unless the Secretary certifies there is reasonable cause to suspect that the applicant poses a threat to national security, otherwise poses a threat to the United States, or has broken United States immigration law; and

(2) the name check fee shall be fully refunded.

(d) Backlog- For purposes of this section, the term `backlog' means, with respect to a file sent to the National Name Check Program from USCIS, that the file has been pending under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department for longer than 6 months.

END

Please confirm once,

I am planning to write them a letter and send a copy of this pdf file.

Hey to make difference we all need to write to OUR representatives to support this bill and pass this ASAP We cannot wait longer on this wait. It has to end and it should be a DEAD END to this.

PLEASE WRITE SOON. The representatives should be amazed to see the number of FAX's and Letters they get on this subject. PLEASE DO ASAP

Let us make some difference and get this into effect, let us come out of this and live in peace and further concentrate to fullfill our dreams.

I am going to send to as many representatives as I can in my state. we can to others also. let them know about this how we are suffering and they should take action soon.

No need to send PDF file. Just mention HR 3828 "Citizenship and Immigration Backlog Reduction Act"

Guys please contact your senators.

Hi,

Thanks for the initiative.
I just send a request to my senator.

This is the time to explore all possibilities.

The senate has already passed a namecheck related bill. For this, you need to write to your Congressman or Congresswoman.

In particular, Zoe Lofgren will probably support this bill. If you live in her congressional district (around San Jose, CA) you must absolutely write to her.

i just wrote thanks note to both of my senators, Levin MI senator and request to support to my congresswoman

Strategy to pass this bill.

Writing a letter is a great idea. However, US congressmen or senators would not care much about immigrant. What they care most is the concern of national security due to the delay of the name check. We need to leverage this to work for us so the immigration benefits things will be riding together with national security measures.

The strategy would be to emphasize how this bill can help further secure this nation. Using this point will carry much more momentum to get this bill passed. Using immigration things might work the other way since there are quite a few anti-immigration congressmen and senators. We need to work smart this time.