Immigration Reform bill is against legal Immigration !!

aawara

Registered Users (C)
The recent bill proposes a point based system for highly skilled legal immigrants. It will be an utter disaster if it passes in its current form:

1) Point based system will take a long time to implement.
2) It offers no way for employers to sponsor the eligible employees.
3) It DOES NOT clear the current EB backlog or offer any solutions for doing so.

One of the other aspects of this bill will play spoilsport for lot of tech companies. No company will be able to have more than 50% of its employees on H1-B visas. OK I agree that H1-B visas have been abused by some companies to a certain extent. But what is the fault of the poor employees. It is going to hurt them considerably forcing them to change employers and restart their green card process !!

On the other hand it gives Illegal immigrants Z visas until they get a Green Card. Seems like illegals are being rewarded for breaking the rules while people like us who have always played by the rules get the short end of the stick. What a shame indeed !!

Ok, ok! Don't think they need help scuttling any deal on immigration...:p :p

The recent bill proposes a point based system for highly skilled legal immigrants. It will be an utter disaster if it passes in its current form:

1) Point based system will take a long time to implement.
2) It offers no way for employers to sponsor the eligible employees.
3) It DOES NOT clear the current EB backlog or offer any solutions for doing so.

One of the other aspects of this bill will play spoilsport for lot of tech companies. No company will be able to have more than 50% of its employees on H1-B visas. OK I agree that H1-B visas have been abused by some companies to a certain extent. But what is the fault of the poor employees. It is going to hurt them considerably forcing them to change employers and restart their green card process !!

On the other hand it gives Illegal immigrants Z visas until they get a Green Card. Seems like illegals are being rewarded for breaking the rules while people like us who have always played by the rules get the short end of the stick. What a shame indeed !!

You might have played by the RULES... but not all legal guys are by the rules, of the many things padding the resume is quite common.

Illegals are often not that very highly educated and very poor..and they do most hardest type of job on the earth. Highly educated guys don't get duped by there employer .. as much as the illegals ..

Let them have a reward in just one aspect of there life... they are taking the beating every where... You should be kind and sympathetic towards them. Let them enjoy a little bit.

I wonder why it should be shameful...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not against regularizing the illegals. Majority of them are decidedly poor folks trying to make a living.
But this bill kicks the legals in the backside again.

Attitude: Not my problem (at least not any more!)!!!

I am not against regularizing the illegals. Majority of them are decidedly poor folks trying to make a living.
But this bill kicks the legals in the backside again.

I agree with you completely!
Illegal or not, people have a fundamental right to be considered human!
If amnesty to illegals is a way to prevent this Human abuse, so be it.

But that does not mean, that the people who have being patient, in line, and played by the rules, should continue to be "abused".

I think the reason we dont figure in the bill is because we dont have a voice!
Think about the rallies the Illegals took out! or the opposition to immigration took out.
We legals did not even so much as whimper at this Bill!
I am sure, if we decide to go on "vacation" simultaneously for one day, the country's economy would come to standstill. But why would anyone care to do that.

If my dates are current, or, if I have already got/close to my GC why should I even bother.
That is someone else's problem, not mine (at least not any more!):(

So tell me guys, who is to be blame?????

EB2

Look man this immigration bill has some proposed changes that are not being made public to everyone . A lawyer told me he has been lucky to read it and it is a disaster. it only addresses the illegals and it make a mess of the legals. For example the bill will end legal immigrants sponsorship of extended family . only spouse and children under 21 will be considered immediate family in the future if the bill is approved. That means that a legal resident or citizen cannot sponsor their parents or adult children ,married or unmarried. Further they plan to use educational achievements / certification as one of the main basis for adult applicants to qualify once the bill is passed. So dont go celebrating this bill has teeth that will affect us all. Many illegals even if they get trrough to stay in the us will not be able to sponsor family members thus ending chain migration.

Look man this immigration bill has some proposed changes that are not being made public to everyone . A lawyer told me he has been lucky to read it and it is a disaster. it only addresses the illegals and it make a mess of the legals. For example the bill will end legal immigrants sponsorship of extended family . only spouse and children under 21 will be considered immediate family in the future if the bill is approved. That means that a legal resident or citizen cannot sponsor their parents or adult children ,married or unmarried. Further they plan to use educational achievements / certification as one of the main basis for adult applicants to qualify once the bill is passed. So dont go celebrating this bill has teeth that will affect us all. Many illegals even if they get trrough to stay in the us will not be able to sponsor family members thus ending chain migration.

A little inaccuracy above...

The categories that may go away are:
1) Adult children
2) Siblings

Both to prevent chain migration (to make a strong lobby happy)

You can still get your parents a GC.

this bill is crazy....
- eliminating family based quotas...is just not humane...
- somebody was saying for illegals - no country quotas....5 year fixed wait...after that by default they get GC...WOW!
While legals, continue to slog it out under coutry quota limits and may end up waiting more than 5 years+ ....wow!

I think - that's the perfect recipe for disaster....Well, I am sure their brilliant mind came up with this plan...and I am sure it's gonna be scrapped....I think that was their smart goal...let's get everybody worked up...only to scrap everything...in the end...

I think - it's just melodrama going on...let's see how long this drags on...

does anyone know if the points based system will enable self sponsorship?
i.e. does the applicant still require his employer to apply for gc or can he just file on his own?

and does this apply to only new cases going forward, or also for existing cases?

It might be nice to bring in your own brother/sister or grown children, but it is unsustainable on a national level. If one person has 3 siblings and wants to bring them into the US, and each of them are married with three children, that's 15 more people just like that. That's why the wait grows to 10-20 years and keeps getting longer. You bring in one person and a whole crowd follows them in. If you expand the quota, it just means more people start bringing in more brothers and sisters and grown children and you end up with the same big old backlog again.

I'll be very happy to see the adult children and sibling categories go away, provided that it is compensated by increased quotas for employment-based. Even though I have a brother here who could sponsor me as well as another brother outside the US who could benefit from sponsorship.

does anyone know if the points based system will enable self sponsorship?
i.e. does the applicant still require his employer to apply for gc or can he just file on his own?
From what I've read, it allows self-sponsorship but having a job offer is part of the points. I don't know exactly how the points will be used to select people. They could use it to choose the people with the most points when the applicants exceed the quota, and reject the rest. Or they could give a green card to everybody who meets the minimum points, putting you into a queue for the following year(s) if the number of people who have enough points are more than the quota (if they do it that way they'll end up with backlogs again). It's not clear if they're going to process you faster if you have more points.

and does this apply to only new cases going forward, or also for existing cases?
There was a paragraph in the bill that clearly said existing cases would continue to be processed under the old law (although theoretically if you are severely retrogressed you might consider withdrawing your existing case and reapplying under the new system).

From what I've read, it allows self-sponsorship but having a job offer is part of the points. .
hey jacko,

Not to doubt your word (as the Americans say, when they don't mean it :) ) , and I have not read the text of the bill, but nowhere on any of the attorney websites have they mentioned self-sponsorship.
Being that it is such a major issue, why has this not appeared? are you sure of your facts?

1986 amnnesty: 3,000,000
2007 Amnesty: 12,000,000 to 20,000,000.
What about in the future? In the next 20 years, maybe 50-60,000,000? Is this fair for people like us, playing by the rules? Can america really afford all this? I thought this was the land were laws were respected! I didnt realize, that the f###g politicians can change the laws when it suits them!!!. If this travesty of a bill passes, it would be a betryal for all of us.

hey jacko,

Not to doubt your word (as the Americans say, when they don't mean it :) ) , and I have not read the text of the bill, but nowhere on any of the attorney websites have they mentioned self-sponsorship.
Being that it is such a major issue, why has this not appeared? are you sure of your facts?
Having a job offer or a family member in the US is not a requirement, but having either gives you more points, means that self-sponsorship is implied. You could have neither and still have enough points if your other qualifications are great enough; in that case obviously nobody is sponsoring you.

It seems that that propsed bill is aimed at bringing in more skilled labor over family, which is not a bad thing. After all, with the baby boomers aging, this country will have to compete with other western societies such as Canada and Australia for more skill labor to keep the social security system going. Is it self-serving? Yes, but that is the nature of immigration in any country.

I am with Jacko, doing away with the siblings and adult children makes sense. If they are adult, they should apply for GC in their own rights and abilities. Judging from how fast the H1-B cap is reached in the past couple years, a point system favoring skilled labor is a step forward.

I reiterate - It is indeed shameful that this congress is giving preference to illegal immigration over legal immigration. The CIR bill does exactly that. A lot of you on this board are living in a fool's paradise -- "Oh let the poor illegal immigrants get their green cards as well". You do not realize that they are gaining at your cost. The politicians particularly on the left are playing votebank politics and securing their future. They very well know that putting 12-15 million unskilled immigrants on the road to citizenship will create a huge underclass who they can rule easily contrary to highly educated skilled immigrants who can think clearly !!

Your thoughts are wonderful.
I am here in USA maintaining my status as a F-1 paying high price. But I support and wish that new immigration act become a reality by giving illegals an opportunuty. They became illegal as they don't have any option. Let's treat everyone as human. Don't try to suppress people.
Those who support new bill are humans. Others..??????

I reiterate - It is indeed shameful that this congress is giving preference to illegal immigration over legal immigration. The CIR bill does exactly that. A lot of you on this board are living in a fool's paradise -- "Oh let the poor illegal immigrants get their green cards as well". You do not realize that they are gaining at your cost. The politicians particularly on the left are playing votebank politics and securing their future. They very well know that putting 12-15 million unskilled immigrants on the road to citizenship will create a huge underclass who they can rule easily contrary to highly educated skilled immigrants who can think clearly !!

Aawara,
I dont agree with you on aspect that "the poor illegal's are gaining at our cost". If that is the case, then in the same tone it can be said that "current US Citizens will be losing at our cost"..
I dont espouse illegals getting ahead of legals, but, I dont think their situation is being used to disdvantage the legals.

Neither are the politicians playing the vote games as much as you think they are, otherwise they would be playing to the conservative mindset! Politicians look short term when making vote or political decisions, but look longer term when they look for the country's benefit. And given the immigration issue, this is something that is going to definitely hurt them in the short term, but may be beneficial in the longer term.
Why would any "vote" politician look at votes that are 15 years ahead... and ignore the conservative mindset?
For once lets give some of the politicians who are pushing immigration reform some benefit of doubt!

EB2