Immigration from Canada AOS and Insurance question

j777

My wife is a Canadian Citizen and we have been married for 5 years with 2 kids living in Canada for the last 5 years. I am a US and Canadian Citizen. We have been visiting family in the US for the holidays and are now thinking about staying in the US. Can she file an AOS and stay here if we decide to stay here? I don't have a job here but would start looking for one soon. We do have savings that I believe would qualify for the amount needed for a green card for her. If we are able to file an AOS and a green card application from within the United States, would I be able to get her health insurance while she is waiting for a green card and how would that work? We all have travel insurance now but I think that may expire after 6 months if we lose our Canada health benefits after being outside the country for something like 6 months.

Yes, she can file AOS and stay in the US. Your not having income might be a problem. You would need $3 of assets to cover every $1 of missing income.

Once you have a job, the job's health insurance most likely can cover spouses. Or, once she files AOS, she can buy a plan from the Obamacare marketplace, which she should qualify for as someone with a pending AOS.