Immigration Court Procedures for Master Hearing

ygpeli

A friend of mine will have a master hearing for political asylum next week. He wants to go to the hearing himself without an attorney. The reason is a.) he can not afford an attorney financially at the moment; b.) even he has money for an attorney, he wants to look for another one. He says he needs more time to look for or get a referral from friends. So he wants me together with him to go to the court because I can speak some English. I am happy to provide some help as I can.

The question is I don't know the court procedures, I don't want to do something wrong for him. In one word. How can I help him at the court date. He just wants to reschedule his master hearing. Also he wonders whether his attorney already provided all his supplemental paper to the court in his last individual hearing, whether or not he should provides another sets of paper next week?

We really appreciate for your kind advise and instructions. Thank you.

Are you saying that he fired the lawyer he had?

Hopefully, some of our senior and very experienced forum members will give you some insights before the court hearing next week.

A friend of mine will have a master hearing for political asylum next week. He wants to go to the hearing himself without an attorney. The reason is a.) he can not afford an attorney financially at the moment; b.) even he has money for an attorney, he wants to look for another one. He says he needs more time to look for or get a referral from friends. So he wants me together with him to go to the court because I can speak some English. I am happy to provide some help as I can.

The question is I don't know the court procedures, I don't want to do something wrong for him. In one word. How can I help him at the court date. He just wants to reschedule his master hearing. Also he wonders whether his attorney already provided all his supplemental paper to the court in his last individual hearing, whether or not he should provides another sets of paper next week?

We really appreciate for your kind advise and instructions. Thank you.

Normally in your initial master hearing, the judge will read you what you are charged with and ask you what you want to do. At that time the judge will set another date for a hearing. It could be another master hearing if you have not submitted all your documents or it could be an individual hearing. You can always request additional time to prepare for your case from the judge.

I think you can tell the Judge that you are yet to get a lawyer and request more time. I've been to Master Hearing (with lawyer though) and saw other people asking like that...just my 2 cents..get approval from senior :D

**BUT YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY HAVE A LAWYER FOR INDIVIDUAL HEARING....do NOT try to play with the law...**