Immigrant Visa Expiring before travel to US - Coronavirus

guptarahul

Hi,

My parents who are elderly recently got approved for their Green Card through consular processing and received an Immigrant Visa to travel to the US. That visa expires on April 8th and they were planning to travel March end. However due to the Coronavirus scare, we are rethinking if they should travel now given the situation. I am trying to figure out what happens in the case they decide to not travel now and their immigrant visa expires. Will they need to schedule another visa appointment and go through some part of the process again or is there a way to reach out to the US Embassy in India and request an extension to the expiry of the visa given the extreme situation/pandemic we have?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

thanks,
Rahul

Is it not possible for them to fly now? That’s what I would do.
You would have to contact the embassy. Usually they don’t issue a new visa if one has expired, but under the circumstances they may be more lenient than usual. At the very least however, even if they can be issued a new visa they will have to redo their medical exams.

My wife and 3 kids were issued with Immigrant Visa back in May 2022 under EB3 category. I was not able to interview at the time since I had not been cleared by I.O.M and was doing spatula test. IOM cleared me and my medicals received at Embassy on 30th June 2022. My wife travelled to US in August since she was required to report to work by her employer. I was left with my kids hoping that once am cleared and medicals received at embassy, I will be immediately called for an interview and issued visa to travel with my kids to their mum in US. Currently am not sure when they will call me for interview. I have sent emails and called embassy on several occasions but they keep on saying “that my case has been put on expedited process and once a slot is available I will be called for an interview”. Now my kids visas expire on 20th October 2022. My question is do I continue waiting hoping I can get a visa by that time and hopefully travel with them to their mum. Or can their grandmother, who has a B1/B2 visa, travel with them and their mum pick them at their port of entry. Is it possible for their grandmother to travel with them or it can complicate her own visa situation keeping in mind she has a b1/b2 visa.