Immigrant Visa Consular processing for Mother

Publicus

Registered Users (C)
Hi there:

I am kind of confused. I've been reading needurhelp great thread about Green Card applications for parents and got confused.

I am trying to file an application for my mother. Now do I just need to file the following papers: Form I-130, Filing Fee - $190.00, a copy of mom's birth certificate and a copy of my U.S. passport, or do I need to add to this an Affidavit of support, an I-485, and the G-325A, Biographic Information as well?

Thanks for the help.

I found this on CIS website:

If you are applying to bring your mother to live in the United States, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name
If your name or your mother’s name is different now than at the time of your birth, you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
If you were not born in the United States, a copy of either your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or your U.S. passport.

Do I still need to file an affidavit of support?

Publicus said:
I found this on CIS website:

If you are applying to bring your mother to live in the United States, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name
If your name or your mother’s name is different now than at the time of your birth, you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
If you were not born in the United States, a copy of either your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or your U.S. passport.

Do I still need to file an affidavit of support?

Welcome back PuPlicus, I was expecting you. :D

Read this is very well documented:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=202993

Needurhelp started an excellent job.

Publicus said:
Hi there:

I am kind of confused. I've been reading needurhelp great thread about Green Card applications for parents and got confused.

I am trying to file an application for my mother. Now do I just need to file the following papers: Form I-130, Filing Fee - $190.00, a copy of mom's birth certificate and a copy of my U.S. passport, or do I need to add to this an Affidavit of support, an I-485, and the G-325A, Biographic Information as well?

Thanks for the help.

Copy of your Birth Certificate not your mother's!
Proof of your name change.

I-485 is only for people wo are in the US and apply for change of status or register for permanent residence.
Your mother will go thru a Consular process after the I-130 is approved. I don't know anything about this Consular procedure, but I believe at a certain point in time you'll have to submit an Affidavit of Support (I-864) and she will have to have the Biographic Info (G-325A) and the Medical Examination (I-693)

G ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks G, you're a real O.G. :D

You answered many of my questions. I just can't remember if we have to file our w-2 with the affidavit of support or not because I haven't received it yet from one of the companies I worked for.

I am trying to send the petition before I get deployed to Iraq, which will happen within one or two weeks. I know I have the option to file with the US embassy in Amman in Jordan. What do you think? Should I send it now, or wait until I get to Iraq then file. And if the application gets approved, can my mother wait until I get back to the US or does she lose her immigrant visa if she waits too long?

Thanks.

Publicus said:
Thanks G, you're a real O.G. :D

You answered many of my questions. I just can't remember if we have to file our w-2 with the affidavit of support or not because I haven't received it yet from one of the companies I worked for.

I am trying to send the petition before I get deployed to Iraq, which will happen within one or two weeks. I know I have the option to file with the US embassy in Amman in Jordan. What do you think? Should I send it now, or wait until I get to Iraq then file. And if the application gets approved, can my mother wait until I get back to the US or does she lose her immigrant visa if she waits too long?

Thanks.

One more thing: Copy of your Birth Certificate should be translated in English and the translator should certify that is competent to do the translation.
Read this helpful instructions:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm#H

You have to file the W-2.
I hope you know you have to meet the 100% poverty line (not 125% like rich guys like us :D ) everybody knows that G.I. like you are poor and spend all their money on booz and women :D :D :D
My opinion is that you should file before you go to Iraq.

Definitely you should educate yourself about the Consular procedure, unfortunately I can't help you because my parents are here and we go thru I-485 (adjustment of status)

Here are a few nice and knowledgeable guys who, I'm sure, will answer your question.

.................................................................................................................
Fillable CIS forms (including I-130)

http://www.visapro.com/US-INS-Forms/INS-Form-I-130.asp

Good Luck :)

Hello, PublicUS

Congratulations on your citizenship.

Coming to your mother's case, if going thru the CP channel:

Following documents are required from Petitioner, in this case, its YOU
Filing Fee: 190.00
Photocopy of Naturalization Certificate or US Passport
Photocopy of Birth Certificate showing your mother's name

IF only your mum will be applying for her AOS here in US, then you would need complete I-485 package. Don't worry about the I-864, W2 yet.

Since your mum will be going through the CP, you have to wait until her I-130 petition is approved. When it is approved, her case will be transferred to National Visa Center and pretty much they'll walk you through the complete process from there on.

I do not have qualified exposure to the CP cases yet as my parents are here and going thru AOS. But visaplicant and Jenimmi have added several good links elaborating the CP process steps.

Will there be anyone checking your mail here in US for you? Once I-130 is approved there will several incoming and outgoing mail between NVC and you and your mum. Somone needs to be on top these correspondence.

I'm sorry, I have no idea how it works if you are applying at an embassy or consulate outside of US.

Our knowledgeable immigrant community will be able to throw some light on the issue about whether you can hold the approved I-130 stage hostage.

Good luck with your new job and with your petition.

Note: By law your employer is required to provide the W2 by Jan 31st. Check with your employers.

needurhelp your time and energy is greatly appreciate in this forum.

In fact with this post I'm trying to catch tow birds with one stone:

-1. to thank needurhelp for his help.

-2. to keep my friend's thread on the front page so he can get as much exposure possible, since for his case the time is extremely valuable.

He helped so many he deserves an extra effort from our part :)

Publicus said:
Thank you Suzy. You are a true friend. Congratulations on your Naturalization Oath. Please keep us informed after the interview, which I know you will.

Is not the interview, is the OATH!!!

You'll be the first to know, it's a promise. :)

P.S. Please post all the question you may have, I know you don't have a lot of time, I'll try to look up for your answers. I'm leaving for LA tomorrow, so don't count on me before Sunday :D
Remember, I've told you, good deeds or bad deeds I always pay them back...with interest
;)

Suzy977 said:
Is not the interview, is the OATH!!!

You'll be the first to know, it's a promise. :)

P.S. Please post all the question you may have, I know you don't have a lot of time, I'll try to look up for your answers. I'm leaving for LA tomorrow, so don't count on me before Sunday :D
Remember, I've told you, good deeds or bad deeds I always pay them back...with interest
;)

Suzy.. GOOD LUCK!
Dont forget us when you reach the top of the world ;)

ari4u said:
Suzy.. GOOD LUCK!
Dont forget us when you reach the top of the world ;)

I won't, you were like my family for me for the past few months. ;)

And like my exGovernor said: "I'll be back" ;)

Suzy977 said:
I won't you were like my family for me for the past few months. ;)

And like my exGovernor said: "I'll be back" ;)

ex governor?? heyy... Arnie is still the governor :p

ari4u said:
ex governor?? heyy... Arnie is still the governor :p

Yes he is, and I hope he will be until he'll run for President.
But, unfortunately, he's MY EXGovernor, because I live in Oregon now ;)

jenimmi said:
Hey buddy Pubs...

How ya doin? :D

It's good to see you again..

Ok.. about your Mom's application, I don't know enough if you can apply from the embassy/ Consulate, but previously I tried to compile (roughly) what to expect in the CP process. I'm not sure if it will help you with all your questions, but if you find some time, take a look ..

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1353574&postcount=25

Hi Jenimmi:

Thank you for your answer. You too Suzy. ;)

I think I will file here, then when I am deployed, I will notify them with my address change. What do you think?

Publicus said:
Hi Jenimmi:

Thank you for your answer. You too Suzy. ;)

I think I will file here, then when I am deployed, I will notify them with my address change. What do you think?

I think is a good idea to file before you leave for Iraq.
About changing address, I don't know how it works for you guys in the Army!?! Are they gonna send you the answers and any correspondence to Iraq? What if you need to send extra evidence? How you'll do that?