Illegal student - Miami, FL

nick18

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, my name is Nicolas and I am new to this forum. I have reviewed it several times and every time I find the energy to go on. I've fallen in big depressions because of my legal status. I am from Uruguay and I am 18 years old. I am a senior at high school, not because I failed but because I was placed a year behind when I got here. I have a good GPA and I only have A's and B's, most honors classes, and I even have math as an elective. What I'm trying to say is that I have everything it takes to be accepted by recognized universities, but I can't because I am not a permanent resident at least. Recently I found out that the Honors College from Miami Dade College accepts illegal students, and we do not have to pay international student rates. We do have to pay for in-state tuition, when legal students go for free, but at least illegal residents of Miami have an added option to Community Colleges. I really hope I get in, and if I do, I hope the Dream Act comes out so I can reduce my work hours. I work about 35 hrs. weekly at Burger King, where I had to forge my documents to get the job. It's sad, but it's our reality, and we feel it every day when we can't open bank accounts or get a driver license when all of our friends do. I really hope this act gets enacted, that way we could finally have some peace of mind, otherwise we'll have to continue making the best we can out of every day to prove Americans that we might not have been born here, but we DO belong here, and we'll do everything that's in our hands to stay. I'm glad I found more people in my same situation so we can exchange some moral support, because we don't have those 9 numbers, but we do have the experiances that will help us value them once we get them that not many people have. Thank you very much for all the information you guys provide through this forum and I hope my story helps someone, somehow. Remember to always see the glass half full, not half empty. And so, never give up, continure going the extra mile, because I know we'll get there eventually. Much love and support.

Nick...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

Hello, :)

It is really nice to see more people coming to this forum. I felt great when I found this helpful website. My name is Laura, I was born in Colombia. My father brought me to USA when I was 12 years old. I am in the same situation as you are. I am 18, a senior in high school, and I'm also waiting to hear from some colleges that I have applied. Hopefully we can get in, so we can pursue our goals, and show others that just 9 #s won't stop us from reaching our goals. ;)

So, when did you come to the USA? :confused:

Have a great day! :)

college let u go to their school???

nick do u know where else in florida u can go to without being denied due to legal status

So, when did you come to the USA?

Well, just like you did I came when I was 12, May 30, 2000. I turned 13 10 days later though, June 9.

nick do u know where else in florida u can go to without being denied due to legal status

I'm sorry, but I don't. I live in Miami, so my CAP Counselor just adviced me about colleges in the area, because I couldn't afford going out of town. She actually didn't know that the Miami Dade Honors College accepted illegal students, but we had a speaker go to all of the senior english classes talking about the college and she mentioned, like if she knew I wanted to know, that they accepted indocumented students. If you live somewhere in Florida and can't find a local college that would accept you and have at least a 3.7 weighted GPA or a 1200 SAT score or a 26 ACT score, then you should apply to the honors college, it's a 2 year program where you take the basic college classes with honors and then transfer to a university, but after having gone there, your chances of getting into a good university such as UM or FSU or even out of state such as NYU or Yale, increase to a point that your admition is almost secured. So check it out, if you decide to fill out the application, just leave all the places where they ask you for a SSN blank, that's what they told me to do. Here's the link: http://www.mdc.edu/honorsCollege/
Good luck!

thign is i dont have a 3.7 gpa weighted i have a like 3.5 weighted gpa and i coudl never get that high of a score on my sat i hope so...

well then all can advice you is to come to the regular miami dade college, I mean is just a community college but there is no academic requirement to get in... and is pretty cheap too... at least you would be going to college, u could transfer later on anyways... good luck

dream act

You can go to college if your an illegal alian,you just have to pay visitor rates. You can also go back to your country and pay there rates. Dont let usa laws stop you from getting an education because they will not change

anyone try applying for community colleges? If you ss# then your good to go. I've been attending cc for a while now, I am about to graduate in a year, from there i wouldn't know what to do after I graduate.

Hello everyone, my name is Nicolas and I am new to this forum. I have reviewed it several times and every time I find the energy to go on. I've fallen in big depressions because of my legal status. I am from Uruguay and I am 18 years old. I am a senior at high school, not because I failed but because I was placed a year behind when I got here. I have a good GPA and I only have A's and B's, most honors classes, and I even have math as an elective. What I'm trying to say is that I have everything it takes to be accepted by recognized universities, but I can't because I am not a permanent resident at least. Recently I found out that the Honors College from Miami Dade College accepts illegal students, and we do not have to pay international student rates. We do have to pay for in-state tuition, when legal students go for free, but at least illegal residents of Miami have an added option to Community Colleges. I really hope I get in, and if I do, I hope the Dream Act comes out so I can reduce my work hours. I work about 35 hrs. weekly at Burger King, where I had to forge my documents to get the job. It's sad, but it's our reality, and we feel it every day when we can't open bank accounts or get a driver license when all of our friends do. I really hope this act gets enacted, that way we could finally have some peace of mind, otherwise we'll have to continue making the best we can out of every day to prove Americans that we might not have been born here, but we DO belong here, and we'll do everything that's in our hands to stay. I'm glad I found more people in my same situation so we can exchange some moral support, because we don't have those 9 numbers, but we do have the experiances that will help us value them once we get them that not many people have. Thank you very much for all the information you guys provide through this forum and I hope my story helps someone, somehow. Remember to always see the glass half full, not half empty. And so, never give up, continure going the extra mile, because I know we'll get there eventually. Much love and support.

Nick...

Thanks for that. Very well said and supportive. I'm kind of in the same situation. Well your doing good in high school and that will help out your situation which wasn't the case for me. I didn't do well in high school due to concentration issues with anxiety attacks and ADHD and the school didn't let me continue attending and just referred me to get a ged and so I lost my student status that I had when I came here in 89 and was 6 years old. Right now after years off working hard in regular shit jobs and paying taxes for 8 years that help people with social security, I wanna go to a real college but cannot because I do not qualify for a student loan and cannot afford to pay everything out of pocket so I need a student loan in order to attend. What I have been doing is attending online schools that are very cheap such as Cleveland Institute of Electronics and Penn Foster College that dont require residency or citizenship but there not the biggest or greatest out there but its been slowly helping me progress to getting an associates in IT but I prefer a real school now with a campus because I'm not the greatest I've found out in self study and I prefer now to have a teacher since I've been doing this online thing for a year and a half. So right now what I wanna do is go to a real school here in south Florida but like I said, I don't qualify to get a loan. I sometimes thought about going back to where I came from because of all this shit here regarding legal status and cannot get a freakind decent education eventhough I have been here since I was 6, been paying taxes for 8 years that goes to help out citizens with medicare, social security and I feel americanized now and I dont think I will be able to adapt going back to where I came from.

Thanks for that. Very well said and supportive. I'm kind of in the same situation. Well your doing good in high school and that will help out your situation which wasn't the case for me. I didn't do well in high school due to concentration issues with anxiety attacks and ADHD and the school didn't let me continue attending and just referred me to get a ged and so I lost my student status that I had when I came here in 89 and was 6 years old. Right now after years off working hard in regular shit jobs and paying taxes for 8 years that help people with social security, I wanna go to a real college but cannot because I do not qualify for a student loan and cannot afford to pay everything out of pocket so I need a student loan in order to attend. What I have been doing is attending online schools that are very cheap such as Cleveland Institute of Electronics and Penn Foster College that dont require residency or citizenship but there not the biggest or greatest out there but its been slowly helping me progress to getting an associates in IT but I prefer a real school now with a campus because I'm not the greatest I've found out in self study and I prefer now to have a teacher since I've been doing this online thing for a year and a half. So right now what I wanna do is go to a real school here in south Florida but like I said, I don't qualify to get a loan. I sometimes thought about going back to where I came from because of all this shit here regarding legal status and cannot get a freakind decent education eventhough I have been here since I was 6, been paying taxes for 8 years that goes to help out citizens with medicare, social security and I feel americanized now and I dont think I will be able to adapt going back to where I came from.

FYI that post was from 2006!