Illegal and Arrested

JEE1970

Registered Users (C)
My friend was pulled over in November for speeding and during the process, they found out that he is illegal, now he's in jail not knowing what's going to happen to him. I talked to some of his friends, they believe that he's going to be release eventhough that he is illegal. Any inputs please, share. Thank you.

You may get an basic idea about the issue,reading the documentation
under 'Detention' of the following link.This gives many details.
Link :http://www.shusterman.com/toc-dpt.html.
Other info' at:
http://www.ice.gov/graphics/dro/.
http://www.ice.gov/graphics/dro/opsmanual/index.htm
However, you may need a good lawyer to deal with this type of cases,
than just relying on your friend's advise or on opinions of these forums.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Not a legal advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
JEE1970 said:
My friend was pulled over in November for speeding and during the process, they found out that he is illegal, now he's in jail not knowing what's going to happen to him. I talked to some of his friends, they believe that he's going to be release eventhough that he is illegal. Any inputs please, share. Thank you.

If they catch him drunk, he probably will be deported. If not, they will take his money and set him free, so they will have another chance to collect more money next time.

JoeF said:
What BS. Bribery is illegal in the US.
Law enforcement follows the law, and the law calls for deportation of illegals.

Not only that bribery is illegal and 99.9999999% of the cops follow the law....but if I'm not wrong, what is implied beween the lines is that the "poor illegal" who, besides traffic laws, God knows how many other laws disregards, (the immigration laws for sure!) he or she is also discriminated and abused by the vicious cops!?!...what the hell, laws are only for American Citizens and "stupids" like us who try to immigrate legally...and those cops who disturb the careless life of "poor illegals" should be send directly to electric chair.

JEE1970 said:
How long it takes to get deported after being incarcerated?

Back in December 05 I asked this question. My friend got deported two weeks ago after 5 months in detention. To those who think that the law doesn't apply to them "Bonne chance".

hadron said:
Did your friend fight it all the way ?

He didn't have any money and furthermore, He was told by a lawyer that according to the law, he will be release after 5 months and granted legal status because they are not suppose to hold him that long. That was the reason he was sitting in jail waiting for his greencard.

I'm not sure I see the problem.

He's illegal.
He got caught.
He got deported.

Case closed. Surely there's no grey area, is there?

He was told by a lawyer that according to the law, he will be release after 5 months and granted legal status because they are not suppose to hold him that long. That was the reason he was sitting in jail waiting for his greencard.

He just sat there and waited ????

I guess this is another proof of my observation that as in the rest of the legal profession, the 99% of crappy immigration lawyers give the rest a bad name.