iEAD before 90 days

microdev1

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My wife just started working. Our EAD will expire on may 2nd week.
I applied for EAD renewal on Feb 17th. I applied to CSC.
I think there is a chance that our EAD won't be approved before may 2nd week.
What should I do in this case? Can I request for interim EAD before 90 days?
Has anyone done that before?

Also what should we do if we do not get interim EAD too? Can she work without pay for the days we don't have EAD. Will this help us be legal?

Based on what I read in other threads, the status is not effected if the EAD is expired. You should not be working till u get the EAD approved or you get the interim EAD. The iEAD is given only after 90 days and not before that. Good Luck.

But working without pay, just as a volunteer for that time, effect legal status.
I mean, I understand that working without EAD is not right. But does that apply to working as a volunteer too?

paid or unpaid work without work authorization is illegal. ideally she should not be on any employment records during that period. derive ur own conclusions :)

I myself was in the similar but little better situation.
Prev EAD expiring in May 2nd Week. Applied for EAD renewal only on Feb 2nd Week. Applied at NSC. There was just 89 days between the EAD renewal date and the current EAD expiry date.
Was little tensed what to do if I do not get the EAD, but fortunately I got my EAD approved recently.
Hope for the best and good luck.
It is highly important to apply for EAD renewal 100 days before so we can be safe even for the worst case, rather than having such depressions.
I was thinking that the new EAD validity starts well before the current EAD expiry date so I delayed applying for EAD renewal. But now feel that one or two months of loosing the EAD validity date on the new renewed EAD is just OK.

microdev1 said:
But working without pay, just as a volunteer for that time, effect legal status.
I mean, I understand that working without EAD is not right. But does that apply to working as a volunteer too?
The USCIS isn't stupid - they are well aware that some people may try to work without pay on the understanding that the lost pay will be made up in some way later. Therefore, their definition of work includes all jobs that you are paid for, AND, all jobs that a normal person would reasonably be expected to be paid for. So, for example, volunteering in an animal shelter would be acceptable, but 'helping out' without pay in a business would not be.

i also applied for ead on march 23 and mine expires on June 20. Just hope that it comes by 90th day. it is at VSC. Anyone with recent approvals, pls post here with receipt date.