I485 questions, please help

matrtin

I have two issue and any help or advice is appreciated
first : I received foodstamp when I was student and I also have arrest record in which I was convicted with none-criminal charges.
do you think these two issues will cause the denial of my I-485?
Thanks

How did you get food stamps? Without a green card you're not supposed to get food stamps, except for emergency aid (like after a hurricane or flood).

Anyway, at this point, what is done is done, and you can't forever avoid applying for the I-485 if you want the green card. So whether or not you could get in trouble, you still have to go through with it and whatever happens will happen.

\What was the specific charge? In what state? Did you lie to get foodstamps? Were you guilty of any form of welfare fraud (even if not charged yet)?

What would be the basis for applying for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status? Where are you now? What is your status if currently in the U.S.? Do you have any "unlawful presence"?

P.S. Don't be fooled by "D/S" on your I-94...SEVIS tracks students closely now and your I-20 has an expiration date, too.

Hi
I am supposed to apply for I 485, my employer requested extension of my H1 visa, petition is approved but I am supposed to travel to an abroad consulate to extend my status. The petition did not request consular processing and approval states the approval was forwarded to the requested consulate. There was no requested consulate. If I apply for I 485 and I travel to a consulate requesting H1 visa extension can I get H1 b extension denied? How can I find out to what consulate is the approval mailed? I would assume first consulate that gave me a visa. I prefer to extend my visa because I 485 and I 140 might get denied. If you apply for I 140 NIW and I 140 employment based are you supposed to send two separate I 485 with two different medical visit forms?
I would appreciate your time helping me.
Thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to travel abroad to extend your status. Your status is temporarily extended while the extension request is pending, and an approved extension petition will further extend your H1B status while you're in the US. You'd need to go abroad to extend your visa, but that only affects you for traveling abroad and reentering the US, it doesn't affect your ability to continue staying in the US. If your I-485 is denied and you're still working for the same H1B employer, you can continue to maintain H1B status (unless the also cancel the H1B).

The H1B approval won't be mailed to the consulate. You're supposed to file DS-156 with the appropriate fee to set up an appointment with the consulate, and then bring your H1B approval notice and passport to the consular appointment. Contact the consulate for more information on their detailed procedures.

If you apply for I 140 NIW and I 140 employment based are you supposed to send two separate I 485 with two different medical visit forms?
Yes, you'll need two I-140's and two I-485's with two sets of fees and medicals. But it might be better to file both I-140's with just one I-485 (for your employer) to reduce your expense and USCIS confusion. Then watch and see how your employer's case is going; if it's not going well, file the I-485 for your NIW I-140.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matrtin, actually the charge on you might be a reason for your application getting denied. But if luck favors you can get through. How did you get food stamp without citizenship?