i485 Part 3 - Public assistance

Devastation

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

I have an insurance under State Medicaid title IX. What should be my answer to the question on I-485, Part 3, Q 2:

"Have you ever received public assistance from any source, including the us Government or any state, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment) or are you likely to receive public assistance in future"?

I will have to answer it in Yes or No. The only thing i have is the State Medicaid title IX.

Folks,

I have an insurance under State Medicaid title IX. What should be my answer to the question on I-485, Part 3, Q 2:

"Have you ever received public assistance from any source, including the us Government or any state, county, city or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment) or are you likely to receive public assistance in future"?

I will have to answer it in Yes or No. The only thing i have is the State Medicaid title IX.

The answer is NO.

According to the USCIS website:

Definition of Public Charge

In determining inadmissibility, USCIS defines “public charge”as an individual who is likely to become “primarily dependent on the government for subsistence, as demonstrated by either the receipt of public cash assistance for income maintenance, or institutionalization for long-term care at government expense.” See “Field Guidance on Deportability and Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds,” 64 FR 28689 (May 26, 1999). In determining whether an alien meets this definition for public charge inadmissibility, a number of factors are considered, including age, health, family status, assets, resources, financial status, education, and skills. No single factor, other than the lack of an affidavit of support, if required, will determine whether an individual is a public charge.

Benefits Subject to Public Charge Consideration

USCIS guidance specifies that cash assistance for income maintenance includes Supplemental Security Income (SSI), cash assistance from the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program and state or local cash assistance programs for income maintenance, often called “general assistance” programs. Acceptance of these forms of public cash assistance could make a noncitizen inadmissible as a public charge if all other criteria are met. However, the mere receipt of these benefits does not automatically make an individual inadmissible, ineligible to adjust status to lawful permanent resident, or deportable on public charge grounds. See “Field Guidance on Deportability and Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds,” 64 FR 28689 (May 26, 1999). Each determination is made on a case-by-case basis in the context of the totality of the circumstances.
In addition, public assistance, including Medicaid, that is used to support aliens who reside in an institution for long-term care – such as a nursing home or mental health institution – may also be considered as an adverse factor in the totality of the circumstances for purposes of public charge determinations. Short-term institutionalization for rehabilitation is not subject to public charge consideration.

Benefits Not Subject to Public Charge Consideration

Under the agency guidance, non-cash benefits and special-purpose cash benefits that are not intended for income maintenance are not subject to public charge consideration. Such benefits include:

Medicaid and other health insurance and health services (including public assistance for immunizations and for testing and treatment of symptoms of communicable diseases, use of health clinics, short-term rehabilitation services, prenatal care and emergency medical services) other than support for long-term institutional care
Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
Nutrition programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)- commonly referred to as Food Stamps, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC), the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program, and other supplementary and emergency food assistance programs
Housing benefits
Child care services
Energy assistance, such as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Emergency disaster relief
Foster care and adoption assistance
Educational assistance (such as attending public school), including benefits under the Head Start Act and aid for elementary, secondary or higher education
Job training programs
In-kind, community-based programs, services or assistance (such as soup kitchens, crisis counseling and intervention, and short-term shelter)
Non-cash benefits under TANF such as subsidized child care or transit subsidies
Cash payments that have been earned, such as Title II Social Security benefits, government pensions, and veterans' benefits, and other forms of earned benefits
Unemployment compensation
Some of the above programs may provide cash benefits, such as energy assistance, transportation or child care benefits provided under TANF or the Child Care Development Block Grant (CCDBG), and one-time emergency payments under TANF. Since the purpose of such benefits is not for income maintenance, but rather to avoid the need for ongoing cash assistance for income maintenance, they are not subject to public charge consideration.

Note: In general, lawful permanent residents who currently possess a "green card" cannot be denied U.S. citizenship for lawfully receiving any public benefits for which they are eligible.

Hi mesbahul,

Thank you so much for the information. I have another question about form i-92. Does Medicaid Title IX fall under "means-tested benefit"? That is the only benefit I'm receiving. What else do you suggest to include in this form that might help qualify for the waiver.

Hi mesbahul,

Thank you so much for the information. I have another question about form i-92. Does Medicaid Title IX fall under "means-tested benefit"? That is the only benefit I'm receiving. What else do you suggest to include in this form that might help qualify for the waiver.

I am assuming you are talking about form I-912 Request of fee waiver. medicaid would fall under the "means-tested benefit". Read the instructions of the I-912. It explains everything.

What else do you suggest to include in this form that might help qualify for the waiver.

Are u saying that you don't want to pay the I-485 fee? You were able to pay thousands of dollars to fight for your asylum case at court and now after they gave you the legal status, you want to become a burden on the US government and the tax payers. This makes me so sick

Hi there, sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am also about to file I-485. I received foods stamps for a few months. What should be my answer to the question about whether I have ever received public assistance? Yes or No? Thanks!
Also, the instructions say that I will have to submit a medical examination form in an envelope sealed by the doctor. What is meant by that? The yellow and pink form that was given to me upon examination? But those are not in a sealed envelope. Please advise. Thank you.

Hi there, sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am also about to file I-485. I received foods stamps for a few months. What should be my answer to the question about whether I have ever received public assistance? Yes or No? Thanks!
Also, the instructions say that I will have to submit a medical examination form in an envelope sealed by the doctor. What is meant by that? The yellow and pink form that was given to me upon examination? But those are not in a sealed envelope. Please advise. Thank you.

First part, answer is NO.

Second part: You need the I-693. You have to go to an USCIS approved doctor and they will do whatever is necessary and they will give you the results in a sealed envelope when the results are ready. Sometimes it takes about a week to complete and get the medical results.

First part, answer is NO.

Second part: You need the I-693. You have to go to an USCIS approved doctor and they will do whatever is necessary and they will give you the results in a sealed envelope when the results are ready. Sometimes it takes about a week to complete and get the medical results.
Thank you! But I was examied by a USCIS approved doctor as soon as I was granted asylum. The doctor gave me that yellow slip. So I think this is what the USCIS is interested in. Right?

I never had to do any medical in my asylum process. In any case, these results are two years ago. Alot of things happen in two years. You could call USCIS and find out. You can send in your petition without the I-693. Expect a RFE.

I never had to do any medical in my asylum process. In any case, these results are two years ago. Alot of things happen in two years. You could call USCIS and find out. You can send in your petition without the I-693. Expect a RFE.
Well, as soon as I got my asylum I went to a special place (I think it's called VOLAG) that helps asylees find a job, learn English, gives them food, etc. That place referred me to a medical examination. That's why I had a medical exam. You are right in saying that it was 2 years ago. I wonder what the validity period of that exam is.

This is what I would do. To reduce headaches and delays in your I-485 petition, I would do the medical. The whole turnaround is about a week. It will save you alot of processing time. Furthermore, it is not that expensive either.

This is what I would do. To reduce headaches and delays in your I-485 petition, I would do the medical. The whole turnaround is about a week. It will save you alot of processing time. Furthermore, it is not that expensive either.
Thanks a lot! How much does it cost? Also, will Medicaid cover it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Medicaid or regular insurance will not cover it. In NYC you can get free immunization, Aids and Syphilis tests. You will have to pay for the PPD test. The whole thing should not cost more than $250. All in all I paid around $200.

Are u saying that you don't want to pay the I-485 fee? You were able to pay thousands of dollars to fight for your asylum case at court and now after they gave you the legal status, you want to become a burden on the US government and the tax payers. This makes me so sick

if you are sick of the laws then this is your problem, this is the law whether you like it or not. and to not pay about $1000 per person per green card in forms of fees is not a burden on tax payer. I am a tax payer by the way, and do not mind that other people get this waived as it is ridiculously high.