I140 RFE, EAD & AP still on hold....

chongyip

Registered Users (C)
I'm new to this forum and I want to see if anyone has similar experience as I do. USCIS issued a RFE for my I140 application regarding company's ability to pay. RFE replied and status updated on May 3. The original receipt date for all my applications (I140/485, EAD, & AP) is Jan 23 and as of today nothing has approved yet. Is it normal for USCIS to put my EAD and AP application onhold even though the RFE is for I140? If yes, when can I apply for iEAD? 90 days from original receipt date or 90 days from RFE response date? My current TN visa is expiring in July and I need to get EAD or iEAD before that in order to continue to work....
Thanks in advance for answering my questions!

I believe you will get you I-140/EAD/AP approved togegher pretty soon. That's my experience, so I can tell.

Hill Hall, thanks for your reply. Really? they will approve everything at the same time? How long did it take for you to get your approval? I only have 1.5 months left on my TN visa. The worst thing is, I am unable to renew it because TN does not allow dual intention, i.e. once I applied for GC, I won't be able to renew it.

Hi Chongyip

Hi,
Could you please post your dates?
Thanks.
chongyip said:
Hill Hall, thanks for your reply. Really? they will approve everything at the same time? How long did it take for you to get your approval? I only have 1.5 months left on my TN visa. The worst thing is, I am unable to renew it because TN does not allow dual intention, i.e. once I applied for GC, I won't be able to renew it.

Chongyip,

You can go to local USCIS office and get interim EAD. Generally interim EAD is available after 90 days of filing.

Thanks,
-Honeybee

I con-currently filed I140/485 together with AP and EAD. All the applications' receipt date is Jan 23, 2004. Got 140 RFE sometime in end of March (lawyer didn't let me know at that time), reply received on May 3. Oh, also FP done on April 21.
I don't know why I got 140 RFE this early. Normally people from this forum don't get RFE this soon.....

You can get an interim EAD if your EAD application has been pending for more than 90 days from the the receipt date.

Hi,

I am in similar situation, got RFE for 140 in december 2003, replied in January 2004, yet not received my EAD & AP. My RD is August 2003.

Thanks for the replies....what can I do if I'm not allowed to get iEAD? The H1-B visa is capped now and they won't accept application until Oct...
I checked with the lawyer today and she doesn't know when I can apply for iEAD. I'm pretty angry because both the employer and the lawyer should have thought of this beforehand and got me an H1-B before starting GC application. Now I am stucked in the US and may not be able to work. They are too naive thinking that nothing will happen to the application......I would rather know the answer sooner (either approve or denie) than just waiting and not knowing what to do next.
unitednations, I don't think they will approve my 140 soon because the normal processing time for my category is 1 year. My RD is Jan 23, 2004. Does it mean I have to wait for a year because I'll have AP and EAD (if they approve it)? How come some people got their EAD and AP first then later on got RFE on 140? I'm so confused, please help!!!!

unitednations,
that's a good suggestion, i never thought about it. however, i don't know if my attroney will help me to do so as she knows TN doesn't allow for dual intent. what do you think about filing H1B? do you know how soon we can start filing? some people say we can start filing it half a year before the next fiscal year, is that true?
thanks, chongyip

chongyip,
I suggest that you post your question on this forum:

http://www.grasmick.com/board/?topic=topic1

There are many more people on that forum that applied for a green card from TN status, and they will be able to help you more. Applying for I-140/485 from a TN can be tricky, and you should ask the people that specialize in this type of adjustment of status.

Thank you curiousGeorge, I'll take a look of that website.
Thank you unitednations, I guess filing H1B is not a good option....

unitednations,
I went to try getting iEAD but I failed....this is expected because you told me already....I tried because my attroney told me there is no reason why they will not issue me the iEAD...she just has no clue about what's going on....We all know more than she does.
I'll be forced to stop working....she refused to file a TN extension...I don't know what to do and don't know who is responsible for my financial lost... :mad:

unitednations,
yes, I'm on TN, so there is nothing else I can do....I will need to discuss with my company on what they're willing to do.....sucks....

pending EAD/AP/140's since 12-03-2003

Hi Chongyid,
I am also in the same boat like yours. The only difference is that I am on H1 and you are on TN. I have filed my 140/ead/ap/485 in Nov-03. I got query RFE on 02/15/2004 and replied on 04/15/2004. I called UCIS on 05/04/2004 to inquire about my EAD/AP. Representative is kind enough to say that I will have a decision on my EAD/AP withing 2 weeks but by now more than 6 weeks passed and my EAD/AP are still in pending. Once on 06-08-2004, UCIS sent me a letter saying that they should be able to take a decision soon on my EAD/AP and nothing as of now. My H1 is expiring in Nov-2004. I am not understanding what is the best step, I am suppose to do now.
Thanks everyone in advance,
SarwarMD

Concurrent filing ead/ap/140/485
MD 11/20/2003
RD 12/03/2003
EAD pending
AP pending
140 pending
485 pending
FP no date yet

chongyip said:
Thanks for the replies....what can I do if I'm not allowed to get iEAD? The H1-B visa is capped now and they won't accept application until Oct...
I checked with the lawyer today and she doesn't know when I can apply for iEAD. I'm pretty angry because both the employer and the lawyer should have thought of this beforehand and got me an H1-B before starting GC application. Now I am stucked in the US and may not be able to work. They are too naive thinking that nothing will happen to the application......I would rather know the answer sooner (either approve or denie) than just waiting and not knowing what to do next.
unitednations, I don't think they will approve my 140 soon because the normal processing time for my category is 1 year. My RD is Jan 23, 2004. Does it mean I have to wait for a year because I'll have AP and EAD (if they approve it)? How come some people got their EAD and AP first then later on got RFE on 140? I'm so confused, please help!!!!
Welcome to the beautiful world of USCIS .. Here everything is done disorderly. :D OK, fun apart ...
1. CHILL OUT .. Relax dude. You cant change what is happening, so calm down.
2. What was the RFE content? If the RFE is such that it may result in denial of 140, and if it is noticed before issuance of AP and EAD, then your AP / EAD / 485 is put ON HOLD until your RFE response is reviewed. You must have received the RFE when they were trying to approve your EAD.

You must understand that all these applications are related to each other. Every time EAD / AP are approved, a cursory glance is given to 140 (if 140 is not yet approved) and 485 application and made sure nothing stands out (i.e. out of the ordinary). USCIS has levels of officers which do particular tasks. An officer who approves EAD, has typically less experience than one who approves 140. If something stands out, an RFE is issued and your entire packet is put on hold until that RFE can be reviewed. So irrespective of the fact that RFE has been received by USCIS, until that RFE response is reviewed, your application will continue to have the current status. Someone may usually review the RFE (most offices do that in 2-3 months). If everything is found satisfactory, then your 140 may also get approved there and then. This is not what always will happen, but this is what has happened to several friends and other posters on this and other boards.

So my opinion is that if 3 months have passed and nothing has happened after your RFE, you should ask your employer to open an inquiry on 140 explaining to them your situation. Else you will get your 140, EAD and AP approval by that time.

BEST OF LUCK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone....
Now that I'm thinking about my case, one thing is very unusual. We got I140 RFE on company's ability to pay shortly after con-current filing. Notice date for all my applications (140/485/EAD/AP) is 1/26/04, RFE was issue on around Feb 18, and on the same date, all my other applications were put ON HOLD. When I read people's experience in this forum, they normally don't receive RFE until after few months of filing...for me it's only 3 weeks and USCIS issued the RFE.
In addition, while my 485 are ON HOLD, USCIS sent me FP notice for 485 and it was done in April. If they are truly putting my case on hold, why do they bother asking me to go for FP?
sarwarmd, you're ok as long as you have H1 and they will allow you to renew it. Problem with TN is, I won't be able to renew it, I will be forced to stop working....

Hi UnitedNations,

Why did your 140 was denied? What for the RFE issued on 140?
All the best,

unitednations said:
The fingerprint is independent of any hold's on your applications. The fingerprints come from a different area within the uscis. When the fingerprint request is issued there is no correlation to what the status of your applications are. My applications had been denied and I still got my fingerprint request after denial of my applications.

email2sai2003,
I'm working at a hospital, frankly, I don't know how many employees we have. Some of them are full time, some are part time, some are on call staffs, some are even travelers. And I have no ideas how much revenue they are making.
Sorry, can't help you much...

Concerned about EAD/AP

Hi Chongyip/Dazzling,
Reply to RFE on my 140 is accepted by UCIS on 4.15.2004. I am going to complete 3 months on 07.10.2004. Neither my employer not my attorney concerned about my case. Probably if I do not have my 140 approved by 06.10.2004, it is not going to be approved forever!
UCIS is kind enought to send a letter on 06.08.2004 saying that they should be able to take a decision on my case shortly but I do not see any changes after receiving a letter so far.
Probably I need to open inquiry thru attorney soon.
Thanks and any inputs will be appreciated!
SarwarMD
concurrent filing ead/ap/14/485
rd 12.03.2003
rfe 02.15.2004
Replied on 04.15.2004
ucsi Web site shows recvd reply on 04.15.2004
status of applications on 06.29.2004
ead pending
ap pending
140 pending
485 pending
no fp notices yet