I140 and employment authorization related issue

apollo91

Hey everyone,

hope someone will help me with my next step..

i filed for I-765 and I-140 simultaneously back in 2007, the authorization card came back quick, valid for a year, within which I140 was approved... assuming (which i guess wasn't very smart) that i140 granted me employment authorization i never refiled I-765 to renew the employment card.. i485 is still pending...
i've been working all this time and i was just wondering if it's worth applying for another authorization card now with that solid gap between previous card expiration on 2008 and today.. can anything bad happen because of this?

if anybody had been in the same situation or you just know about the subject please let me know

thanks in advance for all your insight

Bad things can definitely happen, but you should first talk to your company's lawyer. Maybe you didn't need the EAD at all (because you were on H1B and didn't switch employers), or maybe they silently renewed things for you - check that out with the lawyer before you do anything.

In case you actually needed to renew and didn't - it's a problem both for you and your employer - they must have renewed your I9 after your original EAD expiration date.