Bee116

I am currently in US with a green card. I am currently engaged to my fiancee (she is still abroad with no US status) and once we get married I am planning to get her here, it takes around 2 years I think for her to get the visa. Recently one of my friend (with family of 3) won a lottery for diversity visa and needs sponsoring and asking for help. If I sponsor him before I bring my fiancee (would be my wife then) would it hurt my chances or cause any impact once I start the process of her bringing here? Would I have to mention if I have sponsored anyone in US in the I130?

2021 poverty guidelines requires $ 21,775.00 for a family of 2 in 48 contiguous states & add $ 5,675.00 for each additional member. So basically at this time you need to have $ 38,880.00 for your friend's diversity case to approve & your upcoming I-130 for your would be wife. Keep in mind poverty guidelines amounts gets revised each year & if there is addition in your family you need to $ 5,675.00 for each additional member.

If you believe you will have this kind of income you can proceed otherwise you might end up with joint sponsor.

I-134 is not legally binding, and having signed an I-134 for somebody does not affect your household size for the I-864. Only people you have signed I-864s for previously (and who have become permanent residents and to whom you still have I-864 obligations) are counted in an I-864's household size.

I agree with newacct. The instructions for form I864 say
Type or print the number of lawful permanent residents whom you are currently obligated to support based on your previous submission of Form I-864 as a petitioning, substitute, or joint sponsor, or Form I-864EZ, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the INA, as a petitioning sponsor.
They do not say anything about including anyone sponsored under the I134 which is used for DV.