I may need wait for 11 years to get GC

keagles

I filed my I485 last Dec. My lawyer told me there are 110,000 case ahead of me waittinf for pending!!!!!!

No Title

If INS does three thousand something a year as it did before, then you\'d expect to wait for 30 years.

Write to your congressmen.

I already wrote letter to congress man.

By the way, what\'s the difference between the data pior Jun 98 and the date after Jun 98?

different filing places

Before that date, all asylee applications were filed with the local INS office. Since then, we have to send the applications to the INS office in Lincoln, NE.

Association for political asylees

Does anyone know if there is an association found by asylees and to serve asylees. Reason is that we have to voice our opinions through an organization. That way, we will get government\'s attention. I have personally written so many letters to my congressman over the years and my application for adjustment is still pending. I have come to a realization, which is we, as a group, have to fight for our freedom, otherwise no one will fight for us.

No Title

To lobby needs lots of money. Generally speaking asylees who are waiting for Green Cards don\'t have so much money.

Also it\'s difficult to organize since many asylees still want to keep their status private.

Do you guys have any good idea to do something other than write to congressmen?

Please see the downstair post which title is "an old news"

Karen Narasaki, Executive Director, National Asian Pacific American Legal Consortium recommend to 107th Congress. One of his recommendations is that: Increase number of asylum grantees seeking permanent residence to 15,000-20,000 a year.
Maybe we can write letter to him and he can use his influence to help us?

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/aboutins/congress/testimonies/2002/zigasylum.pdf

Tim,
Testimony of J. Ziglar, Commissioner USINS before the Senate, responding to concerns that the ceiling of 70,000 refugees set by the President for this FY cannot be met. Excuses are different from the ones previously stated by INS for asylees, and I believe they owe a reasonable explanation to us.
A solution to this problem would be to allow the INS rollover to the following FY, the unused number in the current FY.
I agree with your statements. Unfortunately, I do not see a way to effectively call attention, other than the individual efforts we could do by contacting our Congressperson. We are 100,000 people, in the same problem, so if we periodically insist, we might have some chances to be heard.
Most of the asylees applying to I-485 are not aware that they have to wait so many years, they are not really aware of how bad the problem is. So, one of the things we could do is to let them know what we know and have found so far. If we individually can place an ad in our local newspapers, to contact them, let them know about this website, etc. would be a good start.

Media coverage

Another possible way to get attention to this problem is through mass media. I think I\'ll contact some reports who paid attention to my case when I first applied for asylum.

If you had a high profile case and you have some contacts it\'s good time to use them now.

Media Coverage

I thought it over and I think media coverage probably is the best and easiest thing we can hope to achieve. Let\'s do some research work for the correspondents first. Let\'s gather documents. The documents I can think of now is INS FY1999, FY2000 LPR reports. The House and Senate bills. The AILA lawsuit. Some of our personal experience. Let\'s gather those documents and high light the relevant part. And let\'s send those research report to newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, NGOs etc... Hopefully some of them will have interests to do a project on it.

No Title

Tim, I don\'t quite agree with you. I don\'t think we need a lots of money to voice our messages to the government. We, as an organization, can write letters with thousands signatures, which will be much more powerful than a single signature. One the other hand, we can organize rally in D.C., which won\'t cost much money neither. Also, we, as an organization, can easily be associated with other pro-immigrants organization and get help from them. As far as privacy concerns, I understand it completely. I don\'t want to tell everyone I know I am an asylee. But If I have to tell them, I won\'t have anything to lose. Besides, what we would do as a group will not jerpadize my privacy or mine. The bottom of line is that we must fight for ourselves. Think over how the politics works in this country. It is all about power. If we organize ourselves, we will have power. Otherwise we will have nothing but being abused by others.
Tim, please let me know what you think about my message. You are the first person I would like to convince.

No Title

Good point. I like it. That\'s why we need an organization. That way we can pool our resources together and influence the government through the mass media or in other way.

Update

Dear All:
I just thought update your all about my case which may be of some use to other who are sailing in the similar boat like me.

I applied I-485 in Nov. 1999 as an Asylee.

Yesterday I contacted my local congressman to findout about my case. He was quick enough to contact INS and got back to me. INS told him that they are processing the asylee adjustment who file in Dec. 1998. My case may take another 8-12 month to get processed. So once again I was disappointed but it was must better than writing letter to INS with no response.

Thanks

What is the interest of the Congressman?

I have read some postings mentioning Cobgressmen... I don\'t understand whay would they help somebody who can\'t even vote for them.
Can they actually be "interested" on immigration issues?

Thanks.

No Title

Hi Rosee, thanks for posting your experience. They said December 1998, eh? that is a good new, really!! We are eager to know next cut-off date to be officialy released by INS.
I have found rewarding contacting my congressperson, they have provided me information not publicly announced regarding INS procedures, that I have also been posting in this Forum.
Thanks again

No Title

Mc Goo,
I do not know what interest they might have, nor I am interested on knowing what could move them to respond. The real fact is that some of them respond and help. See update from Rosee and my answer.
Also, only the Congress is authorized to eliminate or modify the 10,000 quota. So, there is a point there, right?
Best regards

No Title

hey Rosee, thanks for the information. I guess i will have to contact the congressman here since it is impossible to call INS, their phone line is even hotter than president\'s.
from your information, i guess it will take another 2 years to process mine because i filed mine in 8/2000.
By the way, i have a question: If something wrong with our application, do they point it out to us right after we files the case or the time when it is being processed?
thx