I became a naturalized American 100 days ago, but why don't I feel any different?

American2008

Registered Users (C)
(edited from original post)

I became a naturalized American 100 days ago, but why don't I feel any different?

I was more than thrilled during the first few days. Even more happy when my US passport arrived... but now I just feel normal...(if that's that't the right word to describe it) or perhaps it's because I've already been in the USA for so many years?

Went to vote yesterday(my state has early absentee voting) and I voted for ________. (candidate name withheld for my protection :D ) I didnt' even need to show that I was a citizen. Just had to check "US Citizen" on top of the forms. Well, I sure hope the candidate that I voted for become the US president... :D If not, I'll be might depressed, for a few days, at least. (all my friends and family members are voting for the other candidate, unfortunately)

I vacationed in Europe for a few days last month. Arriving at London Heathrow, the officer said in a stern voice "sir, your US passport is invalid!" It jolted my jetlagged brain back in a nano-second. I said "OH MY GOD.. WHAT?" He pointed to the blank space on the signature line. Apparently I had forgotten to sign my new US passport. Passports are not valid until signed... I borrowed the officer's pen and signed it. He smiled and said "Welcome to Britain!" I smiled and thanked him...

When I arrived back at JFK airport, I handed my US passport to the immigration officer. He didn't even say a single word, just stamped my passport and waved over the next person in line. I guess this was a good thing... he probably just viewed me as another average American. :)

To sum it up... food tastes the same... wine(and beer) taste the same... traffic still just as bad in my area... still nothing good on TV(until TTSCC is back on air next week)... sex no different(still just as great)... oh well... "same" seems to be the keyword here... :D

Am I the only newly-naturalized citizen who feels this way? :confused:

P.S. out of curiosity, I just checked my N-400 case statu on the USCIS website....
why does it still say my case is pending when I've already been a US citizen for
more than 100 days!!!??? :(

Last edited by a moderator:

I was more than thrilled during the first few days. Even more happy when my US passport arrived... but now I just feel normal...(if that's that't the right word to describe it) or perhaps it's because I've already been in the USA for so many years?

You will feel it more when you travel with US passport or when you bring your relative to us and most importantly when you vote in this presidential election.

He has already traveled on US passport :) Perhaps he disclosed this in the edited version. Don't worry. I am sure a lot of native born US citizens feel relatively nonplussed about being US citizens. I would recommend you a healthy dose of looking at your US passport and to repeat to yourself that you are a US citizen now :) Write to your senator or congressperson about a issue you care about. Get somewhat involved into your local politics. I think a combination of this might change your look of things.

He has already traveled on US passport :) Perhaps he disclosed this in the edited version. Don't worry. I am sure a lot of native born US citizens feel relatively nonplussed about being US citizens. I would recommend you a healthy dose of looking at your US passport and to repeat to yourself that you are a US citizen now :) Write to your senator or congressperson about a issue you care about. Get somewhat involved into your local politics. I think a combination of this might change your look of things.

good point... time to write to my senator to see if he can add some pork-barrel funding, say $10 million, for my local park's tennis courts. :) (just kidding, of course)

I guess the best part is that living in the US, as an American, I no longer have to fear my own government arresting me for voicing my opinions. This kind of freedom cannot enjoyed when I lived in my home country. I can complain about poor highway construction, without landing my rear-end in jail. :)

Look at the bright side: at least you're not Joe the plumber.:D

:D

I don't know what it is about Joe the Plumber... but something is fishy about this guy... turns out that he has unpaid state taxes and who knows what else hiding in the closet... :D

(edited from original post)

P.S. out of curiosity, I just checked my N-400 case statu on the USCIS website....
why does it still say my case is pending when I've already been a US citizen for
more than 100 days!!!??? :(

Perhaps this why you feel the 'same'. Call USCIS and ask them to update your case status. Mine says 'Naturalized as proud USC and feels like on da moon'!

So call now and ask them to update case status.

Well a lot who become citizens say that.
I guess its because the process is long and strainous... so when you get to the end of the line, you scratch your head and say, what was this all about.
You feel the same and talk the same.

BUT, WHEN You travel overseas, you really feel the effect and "passion" of being an AMERICAN.

so enjoy it and wake up every morning thanking God.... because i know folks who got deported over silly mistakes they made when they were GC holders and now the wish they had done the right thing (Applied for USC).

Congratulations on your accomplishment

Think about USCIS when you go to the bathroom or take out the garbage... you can even write a letter to your senator on the behalf of the "others" (that's us non-citizens) and tell them how appalling their service can be.

I enjoyed using my US passport for the first time, being able to vote in 2 1/2 weeks, knowing that regardless what happens, I can stay in the States forever, knowing that I can seek consulate assistance when I'm abroad and to be able to say 'I am an American'!

1. I worked for my company an internal project which requires the testers must be USC. I worked for the project for sometime before I got my USC (I am not tester though). Even though I left the project later because my part of work finished, I still remember that 'rule'. It more or less reminded that I was not really "the own people'. So, as soon as I got my USC, I updated my personal profile in company HR web page. It made me feel better.

2. Last week I went to shopping, in front of store, I guy asked me "Have you registered for vote?" I answered "Yes". He said ' Thanks you'. I could not say that before.

2. Last week I went to shopping, in front of store, I guy asked me "Have you registered for vote?" I answered "Yes". He said ' Thanks you'. I could not say that before.

I asked my next-next-next-door neighbor if she has registered to vote yet....
(she was born here... in fact nobody in her family has left the US in three generations, since arriving from Europe before World War One :) )

She said "NO... and I don't plan to register"..... (apparently she dislikes candidated from both the Dem and Rep parties)

It's like once you get it, you dont value it anymore. Imagine riding to your college on a bicycle and dreaming about motor bike, once you get it you dont value your motor bike much. You dream about your car now...and it goes on and on.

ncc

It's like once you get it, you dont value it anymore. Imagine riding to your college on a bicycle and dreaming about motor bike, once you get it you dont value your motor bike much. You dream about your car now...and it goes on and on.

ncc

before my wife and I got married, we dated for 8 years. we met in high school... I was a geek and she was the co-captain of cheerleading squad. then we went to different colleges for 4 years. I will admit that I have met other pretty girls in college. but I am still deeply in love with my wife and I still thinks she is the most beautiful woman in the world.

I've always loved America. I think I knew that I want to become an American someday, even when I was only 12 years old. Now that I'm an American, I am mighty proud of being an American. maybe the "same-ness" that I feel is a nice thing... it means that I amd both legally and metally an American, yes? :)

It's only when you get sick you feel the real benefit of being healthy.

All it takes for me to feel the benefit of being an American is to call my folks which live in the 3rd world country.

Green card really matters - Citizenship is only useful if you want to run for office, work in govt. jobs (secret services etc) or work in research jobs.

Green card really matters - Citizenship is only useful if you want to run for office, work in govt. jobs (secret services etc) or work in research jobs.

Citizenship is also useful for visa-free travel to most of the world, voting, not having to worry about continuous residence/physical presence, having the protection of U.S. government if you find yourself in legal trouble abroad and, most importantly, never having to deal with the USCIS again.

citizenship is also useful for visa-free travel to most of the world, voting, not having to worry about continuous residence/physical presence, having the protection of u.s. Government if you find yourself in legal trouble abroad and, most importantly, never having to deal with the uscis again.

yes!