I became a naturalized American 100 days ago, but why don't I feel any different?

This is definitely one of those situations that proves the benefit of carrying a passport card in your wallet.
Somehow I'm not sure that would have even worked. Remember they detained a permanent resident in a workplace raid, even though he showed his green card. Once they get overzealous and are on a rampage to jack up the count of deportees and detainees, the only effective strategy is to be white with an American accent and a name that doesn't sound foreign. The guy referenced in your linked article passed the first 2 criteria but not the 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
before my wife and I got married, we dated for 8 years. we met in high school... I was a geek and she was the co-captain of cheerleading squad.
Dating one of the top cheerleaders in school? Yep, you've already been Americanized for a long time. :D No wonder you didn't feel different upon completing the naturalization.

Somehow I'm not sure that would have even worked. Remember they detained a permanent resident in a workplace raid, even though he showed his green card. Once they get overzealous and are on a rampage to jack up the count of deportees and detainees, the only effective strategy is to be white with an American accent and a name that doesn't sound foreign. The guy referenced in your linked article passed the first 2 criteria but not the 3rd.

Perhaps the government should tattoo a barcode on the back of our necks and arm the ICE with scanners that would read the information embedded in the barcode and be able to determine our status.

Sadly enough, I can see something like that happening in the not-so-distant future. RealID, anyone?

It was interesting reading American2008's write up. I got my USC around 9 months back, have travelled overseas since then and registered to vote. I don't feel different, but the key thing is that one "becomes" a USC by conscense some time during the GC period. The USC process is just a formalizing of your "citizenship" that you may have conferred on yourself.

As some mentioned it opens up new avenues - government jobs, defense contracts, voting in local and federal elections, a US passport etc. And of course while visiting other companies, having to put an "N" for a USC was not something I particularly liked doing. Unfortunately some companies do not have a column on the visitor's book for a USC questions.

So those not yet a USC, but who consider themselves a USC in their heart- Congratulations! I will wish you one more time when you get a formal piece of paper certifying this:)

Last edited by a moderator: