I am DONE in nyc

teddybear

Registered Users (C)
I have been a GC holder for many years.

I love this country.

Now I am an American Citizen.

The oath was in Brooklyn Supreme Court today. Underneath the WPA murals that used to hang in Ellis Island, I took the oath with hundreds of others. Waiting for the natz processing of hundreds of folks, I looked up at the mural which features the building of the american railroads with Asians in coolie hats, Irish guys, spanish folks...a Native American warrior watching them in the grass...babushka ladies with baskets...bosses with big guns...

During the long wait I got into a conversation with a lady who works as a cashier who never had a chance to go to college. As today was the first day of the rest of her life, we had a great chat about how she can go to community college to fulfill her dream of getting a better job and moving up in the world...she was feeling pretty good about life, and that's what the US is about to me...a feeling of optimism if you win the lottery of becoming a USC.

To all of you still waiting, I wish you Godspeed. To everyone wondering if now is the time to apply for citizenship, do it now! I waited and waited though many INS computer modernization schemes. Then when I was replacing a lost GC I started reading this board.

Thank you to Rajiv K. who owns this board and pays for the upkeep of it. Thank you to JohnnyCash for the wonderful time he puts in here.

Thank you to Islander79, Happigal, Flydog, Boatbod, Huracan, Foreverafter, the nyc thread folks and all the other folks who posted about their experiences.

I'll see you at the passport office!:D :cool: :eek: :) :rolleyes: :p ;)

I don't come anymore to this site as I used to be more than one and half year ago. But I'm glad that I've been able to help people over here. Thousands of people became US citizen since I joined this board but sadly disappeared in the hisotry of this forum after becoming US citizen despite of previously saying that they will hang around and help others. I just wish if they could help others based upon their immigration journey and what they learned/experienced from this board as at least this is what they owe to this board in return. I'm not saying that they should be on this board all the times, but helping others now and then would be nice.

I believe people should not forget where they came from and how they got to the point where they are now, like I didn't because my parents were once immigrants here and I didn't forget that we need to be a helping hand to each other...

Congratulation on being a US citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:
JohnnyCash, I promise to stick around and answer questions about paper clips and patience.;)

Thanks again for your help. I sent your "what documents to bring to interview" list to a friend who had a complicated case. He has an immigration lawyer, but felt that he was not getting the guy's attention to his case.

He had his interview yesterday and passed with flying colors. He says "thank you" as his lawyer did not tell him to bring half that stuff and the IO asked for about 4 documents that he would NOT have brought in if he did not have Your List to End All Lists.

teddybear:D

Teddybear, what were those 4 documents?
JohnnyCash, I promise to stick around and answer questions about paper clips and patience.;)

Thanks again for your help. I sent your "what documents to bring to interview" list to a friend who had a complicated case. He has an immigration lawyer, but felt that he was not getting the guy's attention to his case.

He had his interview yesterday and passed with flying colors. He says "thank you" as his lawyer did not tell him to bring half that stuff and the IO asked for about 4 documents that he would NOT have brought in if he did not have Your List to End All Lists.

teddybear:D

the four things:

proof of marriage (he applied under 5 year rule, not marriage based)

two extra photos (passport style as one of the photos he sent w/n400 was lost)

proof of speeding ticket being paid (forgot about it until reading board)

his old passport that detailed many of his overseas trips (got a new one from his country last year)