I-94

nozdam

Registered Users (C)
Guys one question. Nothing to do with retrogression, but since things are quiet, thought i'd ask.

How does the I-94 work. There is an I-94 which comes when u land in the US and then there is the I-94 which is with ur H1-B stub.

Which I-94 are u supposed to hand over while leaving and which do u keep(if any at all)?

nozdam said:
Guys one question. Nothing to do with retrogression, but since things are quiet, thought i'd ask.

How does the I-94 work. There is an I-94 which comes when u land in the US and then there is the I-94 which is with ur H1-B stub.

Which I-94 are u supposed to hand over while leaving and which do u keep(if any at all)?

Everytime you travel out of the US and come in, you are supposed to get a new I-94 card. The airport staff are supposed to take away the I-94 that comes with the original H-1 stub.

Of course these silly port of entry guys often forget to do that and you actually end up with old I-94s. In essence it is the 'departure / arrival' card that dictates how long your status in the country is and supercedes your actual visa date / H-1B notice approval date.

for all puposes inside US the LATEST I-94 can be used. notice carefully that the I-94 on ur H1 and I-94 when u entered US bear the same number. so when ur leaving US u can handover ANY I-94 or BOTH, taht simply suggest that the guy with 'xyz' I-94 number has exited the country.