• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

I-94 and SSN timeline for DV2017

BestMatiz

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post, so please forgive me if I made any mistakes in posting these questions. I and my family got our visas last December and we arrived at JFK airport on Sunday evening. We went to Social Security Administration today to see if we can apply for SSN card, but the representative at the SSA office in the state of Maryland told us that we need to wait at least 10 days before we could apply for SSN. She also advised us to print out our I-94 record. We checked the CBP website, but it shows no records available.

So, my question is:
1) How long does it take for the system to update I-94?
2) Do we really need to wait 10 days for SSN to apply?

I would be grateful for any advice and help!
Thank you!

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post, so please forgive me if I made any mistakes in posting these questions. I and my family got our visas last December and we arrived at JFK airport on Sunday evening. We went to Social Security Administration today to see if we can apply for SSN card, but the representative at the SSA office in the state of Maryland told us that we need to wait at least 10 days before we could apply for SSN. She also advised us to print out our I-94 record. We checked the CBP website, but it shows no records available.

So, my question is:
1) How long does it take for the system to update I-94?
2) Do we really need to wait 10 days for SSN to apply?

I would be grateful for any advice and help!
Thank you!

1. A few days. You can check it yourself.
2. You may have already asked for the SSN in the DS260. In which case it will normally be sent to you. Sometimes (quite often actually) that process fails and you then apply at the SSA. Typically they will accept an application about 4 or 5 days after entry.