I-90(d) - application lost - any ideas?

mixednut

Registered Users (C)
In short: I-90(d) application apparently got lost. What do you do?

Option 1: send a copy of the original application, include a letter explaining what happened. That did not work for me: I sent 4 of these copies, each with a cover letter, they all got returned with "application denied, you did not include your green card with the application". In other words, they treated these as original applications without even bothering to read the letters.

Option 2: call US CIS, tell them I-90 got lost, ask them what to do. I did, and they said, "go to your district office, explain to them what happened, they will help you". That I also did, and they said, we cannot help you without a receipt number. I responded, "but I never got a receipt". They said, "go home and wait for the receipt".

I did that, only to find out (from today's call to US CIS) that there is no receipt with I-90(d). US CIS does not mail a receipt when you file I-90(d).

So I called US CIS again, and guess what they said? "Go to your district office, explain to them what happened, they will help you", round 2.

Question to everyone: will that really help? Last time I went there, they had no clue what to do with I-90(d), they did not even know there is no receipt number with it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for asking :)

Yes: it took hiring a lawyer ($750) to take the I90(d) case to the USCIS Ombudsman, which helped it move forward, and I also filed a standard I90 (lost/stolen), paid the fee. So I had two fingerprinting appointments back-to-back, for each case, and received - if only one - a green card with the correct A-number.

Thanks for the reply, mixednut, I'm glad this finally got resolved. May I ask: to what service center did you send your original I-90 and the one with fee? And how long did it take to get a biometrics appt for the one with fee? I filed I-90(d) myself recently and fearing it may get lost...