I-864A for Joint Sponsor?

VisaNutz

Registered Users (C)
Can a joint sponsor use his/her household member's income to meet the income requirement? Btw, I am talking about a joint sponsor, no relation to the intending immigrant.

I know it's easier if the "household member" becomes the joint sponsor if he/she meets the income requirements alone - but here is the situation - the household member doesn't have a US birth certificate in his current name (he has a US BC in his birth name, before he was adopted). I know it's possible to get the BC in post-adoption name, but that will take some time.

In the mean time, can his wife (USC) use his income to become the joint sponsor while he signs the I-864A? I know that for I-864A, there is no citizenship or PR requirement.

An unrelated joint sponsor would file another I-864, not I-864A, and the joint sponsor's income cannot be combined with the petitioner or immigrant.

I know it's easier if the "household member" becomes the joint sponsor if he/she meets the income requirements alone - but here is the situation - the household member doesn't have a US birth certificate in his current name (he has a US BC in his birth name, before he was adopted).
The adoption papers should provide the connection between his birth name and current name. Or he can use a US passport in his current name to prove citizenship.

^^^
Jackolantern, sorry if it wasn't clear from my first post - the joint sponsor is trying to meet the income requirement with the help of her husband's income - they are not related to the immigrant/petitioner at all, and are not in the same household.

Let me explain a little further -
Say,
Petitioner = A
Intending Immigrant = B
(Intending) Joint Sponsor (USC) = C
(Intending) Joint Sponsor's husband (USC with an older BC) = D

So, A petitioned for B. A doesn't meet the income requirement for I-864. A needs a joint sponsor.

C is NOT related to A or B, is not in the same household as A. C is a USC, with no income. C's husband (in the same household) D has income, and as a household (C+D) they meet the income requirement. D, although a USC, doesn't have the means to obtain a current BC anytime soon (since it will involve getting adoption papers, amending BC, and it takes time) to show his proof of citizenship. My question is, can C be the joint sponsor by using D's income, and have D fill out an 864A?

D wouldn't have to amend the BC. Showing the adoption papers + existing BC would be sufficient.

Because C and D don't meet the criteria for "household member", they would not file I-864A; one of them would file I-864. And whichever of them files the I-864 must have enough income by him/herself without combining income with anybody else. And that I-864 would be in addition to the I-864 filed by the petitioner.

So, you are saying a joint sponsor can't rely on anyone else's income. Are you sure the term "household" only applies to the petitioner's household?

This is according to the instructions in I-864A:

What Is a Sponsor?
A ''sponsor'' is a person, either the petitioning relative, a
relative with a significant ownership interest in the petitioning
entity, a substitute in the case of a deceased petitioner, or
another person accepting joint and several liability with the
sponsor
, who completes and files Form I-864, Affidavit of
Support under Section 213A of the Act on behalf of an
intending immigrant. A sponsor must be an individual and
may not be an enterprise, a business, or any other type of
organization.

Who May Be Considered a "Household
Member" for Purposes of This Form?
A relative who has the same principal residence as the
sponsor and is related to the sponsor as a spouse, adult
child, parent, or sibling;

A relative or other person whom the sponsor has lawfully
claimed as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent Federal
income tax return even if that person does not live at the
same residence as the sponsor;
The intending immigrant, in certain circumstances. (See
"How Can the Intending Immigrant Be Considered a
Household Member"?)

To me, the wording suggests that a joint sponsor can have HIS/HER own household member sign I-864A to meet the income requirement.

To me, the wording suggests that a joint sponsor can have HIS/HER own household member sign I-864A to meet the income requirement.
You might be correct ... the instructions say the joint sponsor cannot add funds with the petitioner, but nothing against combining with a household member of the joint sponsor.