I-864 tax question, Do they only accept IRS transcript?

triniqueen

Registered Users (C)
Hey Everyone, I am filling out my I-864 and I have a question regarding the tax returns.
Do I have to submit IRS copies of my tax forms or can I submit my own tax copies?
Any help would be great :)

dependings on which website you read it from.

i think from USCIS website, it requests the IRS tax transcript. However, I filled out the I-864 for my wife's petition. from her home country's US embassy, they said "tax return forms" and did not mention anything about IRS tax transcript.

However, I attached the IRS tax transcripts and as well as my own tax return form in the I-864 and sent them to my wife.

You could get the IRS Tax Return copy from them. But it costs $39.xx per year.

triniqueen said:
Hey Everyone, I am filling out my I-864 and I have a question regarding the tax returns.
Do I have to submit IRS copies of my tax forms or can I submit my own tax copies?
Any help would be great :)

I sent copies of my Tax Returns and haven't got any RFE as of now...
The instructions on I 864 says:

A copy of your complete Federal income tax return, as
filed with the Internal Revenue Service, for each of the
most recent 3 tax years.

From the USCIS' website, it says

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-864.htm

All sponsors must submit the following documentation with their I-864:

* Proof of current employment or self employment
* A photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of a photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of your complete Federal income tax return for your most recent tax year, or an explanation if it is not submitted. Your W-2s and/or 1099 forms may also be required, see the I-864 instructions for details.

I am not sure which one is the latest / updated info. I did send 3 yrs tax return form + irs-issued transcripts + w2 + the most recent 4 months pay-stub to my wife thou.

ocworker said:
From the USCIS' website, it says

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-864.htm

All sponsors must submit the following documentation with their I-864:

* Proof of current employment or self employment
* A photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of a photocopy or an Internal Revenue Service-issued transcript of your complete Federal income tax return for your most recent tax year, or an explanation if it is not submitted. Your W-2s and/or 1099 forms may also be required, see the I-864 instructions for details.

I am not sure which one is the latest / updated info. I did send 3 yrs tax return form + irs-issued transcripts + w2 + the most recent 4 months pay-stub to my wife thou.

I believe the instructions on the forms are not updated and the instructions in the link above ,seems to be the latest.
In any case,I believe a photocopy of the Federal Income Tax return is OK.
In any case a photocopy of

When they say photocopy is the photocopy of your Tax Return. Some people does not have it or don't find it so you can request the transcripts to the IRS by phone and you will have it like in 7 business days. But a copy of your tax returns are more than fine. Actually if you read the instructions there are a lot of "OR" there.

Normally people over here talk about the transcripts when is the time of the interview.

Good luck,

Last edited by a moderator:
more information here...
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics//howdoi/affsupp.htm#howdoi

IRS transcripts are free and you get them in 7-10 days after you request them. Many interviewers insist on the tax transcripts as it is proof and confirmation from IRS that taxes were paid. While a 1040 would be sufficient but it does not prove that you actually filed your taxes (You can prepare the 1040 yourself using software like turbo tax or similar ones). Submitting a 1040 would not cause any problem whatsoever. I submitted my 1040 with the applicaiton, but the officer insisted on seeing my IRS transcripts during the interview.

If you fill out an IRS form 4506t and mail it to the IRS, they will send you a transcript of your tax return for free. They claim they do it in about 10 days, but I mailed my form about 2 weeks ago and I haven't recieved my transcripts yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
sdevil98 said:
If you fill out an IRS form 4506t and mail it to the IRS, they will send you a transcript of your tax return for free. They claim they do it in about 10 days, but I mailed my form about 2 weeks ago and I haven't recieved my transcripts yet.

actually you can call the IRS 800# (800-819-1040) to request a tax transcript up to 10 copies. I received them 5 business days after I called.

ari4u said:
more information here...
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics//howdoi/affsupp.htm#howdoi

IRS transcripts are free and you get them in 7-10 days after you request them. Many interviewers insist on the tax transcripts as it is proof and confirmation from IRS that taxes were paid. While a 1040 would be sufficient but it does not prove that you actually filed your taxes (You can prepare the 1040 yourself using software like turbo tax or similar ones). Submitting a 1040 would not cause any problem whatsoever. I submitted my 1040 with the applicaiton, but the officer insisted on seeing my IRS transcripts during the interview.

I guess it is better to submit the IRS tax transcripts to avoid any delays of issuing / approving the visa.

ari4u said:
IRS transcripts are free and you get them in 7-10 days after you request them.

I requested transcripts many times: by mail and by phone. Nobody ever mailed me anything from IRS. My friend had same story :mad: I'll go with photocopies.

For the interview we call the number and in 4 days (and that was near peak tax period) we get them.

Good luck,

aniretake said:
I requested transcripts many times: by mail and by phone. Nobody ever mailed me anything from IRS. My friend had same story :mad: I'll go with photocopies.

Did you confirm your address with them? My wife moved from NY to CA after we got married and when she requested for her Tax transcripts, they sent them to her old address in NY. IRS mails them to the address used on your previous return and you may want to confirm this with them.

Hi,

Sorry for hijacking this thread - but thought I' d post it here since this is being discussed ...

For our interview in a couple of weeks, I've called the IRS and ordered the transcript for the 2005 return (which we filed jointly). We sent transcripts of my husband's returns for 3 previous years (2002 - 2004) with the affidavit. Do I need to order these again for the interview? I have photocopies of them when we sent the package - will that do?

Not sure if its a silly question (oops!).

Thanks!
PriyaB

PriyaB said:
Hi,

Sorry for hijacking this thread - but thought I' d post it here since this is being discussed ...

For our interview in a couple of weeks, I've called the IRS and ordered the transcript for the 2005 return (which we filed jointly). We sent transcripts of my husband's returns for 3 previous years (2002 - 2004) with the affidavit. Do I need to order these again for the interview? I have photocopies of them when we sent the package - will that do?

Not sure if its a silly question (oops!).

Thanks!
PriyaB

Not a silly question :p
you can use copies for the interview.

ari4u said:
Did you confirm your address with them? My wife moved from NY to CA after we got married and when she requested for her Tax transcripts, they sent them to her old address in NY. IRS mails them to the address used on your previous return and you may want to confirm this with them.

Address has been the same for several years!

aniretake said:
Address has been the same for several years!

Then you should call IRS and confirm your address with them. Optionally, IRS can fax your transcripts if needed, you can ask them how to go about it when you call the next time.

IRS Transcripts 1 - 2 business days

Hi,
If you really need your tax transcripts fast you can get it in 1 - 2 business days from websites like accuverify com. I got mine in 2 days.