I-824 thread for AOS to CP change

rohufish

Registered Users (C)
lets use this thread to keep track of 824 filings and approvals for change from AOS to CP.

My details:
RD May 8, 2003
Consulate: Mumbai

AC I-140 & Packet III sent on 6/9/2003 to Chennai Consulate
Filed I-824-2/7/2003 at CSC for AOS to CP
Approved I-140 6/27/2001
Approved LC-RIR-2/26/2001 (EB3)

ac140madras- questions for you

I am planning to change from Aos to AC140. Coudl you please guide me as to what to put on the hardship letter. Thanks

Question for the gurus

Gurus,

I have a question for you. Does all the cases need to file 824 or jsut "Following to Join". If so, then do you guys have to wait for the approval.

After filing 824, how much time does the consulate take to schedule an interview.

Can someone share the whole process step by step.

My GC was approved in June, I got married before my GC approval and want to apply for my wifes GC by filing 824 and CP. Please share as much as you can.

Reagrds,

depends where your wife is located

per my understanding,

if your wife is already in US, you can file a 485 for her also.

if she is overseas, easiest if you get her here on h-4, and file 485.

otherwise, you have to wait until your GC is approved, then file 824 for her to 'follow-to-join' after completing a consular intyerview.

as for processing times,

check the monthly reports. 824 is about 8-12 months, and CP interview after that another 6-9 months.

any other viewpoints on this topic, gurus?

Information on "Note from Rajiv"

Has somebody seen following note from the Rajiv on the front-door of consularprocessing thread? I could not get the further details but looks scary. Can somebody provide me link for further details or more information?

""Note from Rajiv: INS has indicated that it will consider an I-485 to have been abandoned if an I-824 requesting Consular Processing is received by them. This is bad news. So far we have been processing consular processing cases hoping that I-"

only after you get a letter

the 485 will not be cancelled automatically.

once the 824 is processed (for change from 485 to CP), prior to approval, a letter will be sent to you to confirm that you indeed want to change to CP, and cancel your 485. only upon your confirmation will the 485 be withdrawn.

I-824

I heard that the I-824 "approval" is not required.

All one needs is a reciept of 824 and a copy of the petitioner's GC approval. After which you can send all the docs to the consulate, they will evaluate the case, get in touch with service center and schedule an interview.

Also, I have heard that the process, whole from start to finish takes less then 6 months. The problem really is, no one knows anything about this whole god damn process in detail (including lawyers). So, every case is unique in that sense!!!!

Comments anyone....

That means I was right...

That means one does not need approval of 824, all that is needed is a reciept and other attorney certified documents to be sent directly to the consulate you are applying.

With this in place, the time of "Following To Join" should not be more then the regular time it takes for CP.

Since, I never went through CP myself, I would not know. But if someone who has been through the process share their information that would be excellent.

Anyone, who opted for AOS and then changed it to CP by filing 824, did not wait for 824 approval (that is went ahead with AC140) and has finally gotten interview. Please let Ahmer123 now you dates.

Good luck Ahmer123.

Thanks,

ACI140

For ACI140 what proof of hardship is acceptable.

If anyone has had a successful petition, is it possible for you to share it with us so that it could be a guideline for other to-be-petitioners.

Thanks

Originally posted by ac140madras
AC I-140 & Packet III sent on 6/9/2003 to Chennai Consulate
Filed I-824-2/7/2003 at CSC for AOS to CP
Approved I-140 6/27/2001
Approved LC-RIR-2/26/2001 (EB3)

Hi,
I was wondering did you get any reply from chennai for your ac140 case?

thanks in advance for your reply.

No chennai cons returned my applications without doing processing giving some weird reason "We don't have time to process such applications".The only option in my case is to wait for I-824 to be approved.I am not sure that will happen in few months of time.

Thanks for reply.
I am on EB2, Planning to try AC140 at chennai. Do you think its worth a try?

Thanks in advance.

I can't say it's not worth trying.But yes chennai consulate is more restrictive than Mumbai.There is nothing to loose in trying,expect for attorney fee.But don't carry much of hope,they are kind of nasty.

try delhi or mumbai instead

if chennai has rejected your request,

try forwarding your request to mumbai/delhi along with chennai's rejection. request that they take your case instead since your home district consulate in chennai cannot.

you cannot lose anything...delhi even said they're ok if you send them attorney certified copies of your 140 approval and 824 receipt. so no originals lost either...

Thanks for the concern.Do you know anybody trying similar?I tried to call delhi consulate today but I always get busy tone.Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Letter of Hardship??????

Hi guys,
I have applied for GC through AC I140 at US Consulate, Mumbai. My 140 was approved with AOS option, hence I filed for I824. I have send all required document(Packet III,I140 Approval Notice,I-824 filing Receipt etc) to the Consulate but I suppose my lawyer hasn't sent the "Letter Of Hardship" along with it. I would like to know what impact that would have on US Consulate accepting my GC Interview request?
I have couple of question in this regards.
1) Would the Consulate let me know if they do not accept my request?
2) Does anybody have a speciman "Letter Of Hardship" which I can use, in case I need to send it now.
3)It's more that two months since my papers were sent to US Consulate Mumbai(78 Bhulabhai Desai Road, Mumbai 400 026). Is this the address where you guys sent your papers. Do you know which particular dept/section would get the papers intially. Some how, US consulate mumbai is not confiming the receipt of my documents whereas I have a proof of delivery with me.I got following numbers as their contact no from this forum but couldn't find these no's on the US Consulate, Mumbai's website. Would some one please confirm if I should be calling at these no's
23637407/8
4) Does one has to wait till his/her I -824 is approved( I am sure not but still want to check with u all)

Thank you all.

Santy

AOS to CP via I-824

Hello,

I am in a similar situation. My case was messed up. I had requested CP when filing for 140 by the attorney decided otherwise and put AOS. (Luckily he also filed the 485 concurrently). Now after I-140 approval I have filed I=824 and wondering what options are open to me. I too was planning to go for AC140 to chennai. Though Chennai Website says it will accept AC140 (if time permits), I guess they are not. Is sending the AC140 packet to other embassies an option. Can I send the Attorney certified copies and Letter of hardship myself or should it be sent by an attorney (my attorney or any attorney). Please respond with suggestions.

Regards

OSC

I-824: Notes from Rajeev

Hi,

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Had applied to CSC for I-824 to change from AOS to CP in May '2002 but it didn't move for more than an year. My Lawyer mentioned that I can withdraw 824 and apply for AOS (485). I did that (applied for 485) in May 2003 and got EAD and AP as well. I am just wondering nothing will happen to my 485 as I had already withdrawn 824 without getting any letter/notice from them.

I was scared from the following Notes from Rajeev .........

"INS has indicated that it will consider an I-485 to have been abandoned if an I-824 requesting Consular Processing is received by them. This is bad news. So far we have been processing consular processing cases hoping that I-"

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks.

Jay